• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logrono and Rioja Region

katej39

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018) Planning on walking the last leg of the Camino in May 2018 ... planning very ahead!
6 weeks to go and I’m back to Spain for another walk! A friend and I are starting in Logrono for 2 days, walking a few days to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and then walking off the Camino route and walking a few days through the Rioja Region - to Ezcaray and San Millan de la Cogolla, then back to Najera, rejoining the Camino route just for another short walk - but basically ending there.
A couple of questions - has anyone done the walk off the Camino route and in/onto the Rioja routes? And what is the walking from Logrono like as far as terrain etc (in comparison to Sarria to Santiago, which is the leg I walked last year)?
The Camino bug is definitely alive and well in my head and heart...
Cheers, Kate

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the link - very appreciated

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Kate, very interesting! Europe is criss-crossed with trails of all sorts, and we pilgrims tend to know about only a few of them.

The walk out of Logroño is very nice, with not much to tax even old knees and lungs like mine until you get to Cirueña, on the way into Santo Domingo de la Calzada. That climb up to Cirueña doesn’t look like much on the profiles but it was a memorable one to me.

However, on your detour to Ezcaray and San Millán de la Cogolla it looks like you’ll be climbing up into the foothills of Mount San Lorenzo. Ezcaray is 430 meters above Santo Domingo. I’m sure it’s beautiful!

Yes, I did some off-camino walking in the Rioja. From Haro to Najera I remember being very pleasant on a well signposted track. I don't think it is possible to generalise too much about terrain - it depends on where you are walking and I'd look at some topographical maps. Have a look here for maps supplied by the Spanish National Geographic Insitute.

Yes, I did some off-camino walking in the Rioja. From Haro to Najera I remember being very pleasant on a well signposted track. I don't think it is possible to generalise too much about terrain - it depends on where you are walking and I'd look at some topographical maps. Have a look here for maps supplied by the Spanish National Geographic Insitute.
Thanks so much for this info, I'll check out the maps for sure. I'm thinking this leg is going to be tougher than last year's leg of Sarria to Santiago...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kate, very interesting! Europe is criss-crossed with trails of all sorts, and we pilgrims tend to know about only a few of them.

The walk out of Logroño is very nice, with not much to tax even old knees and lungs like mine until you get to Cirueña, on the way into Santo Domingo de la Calzada. That climb up to Cirueña doesn’t look like much on the profiles but it was a memorable one to me.

However, on your detour to Ezcaray and San Millán de la Cogolla it looks like you’ll be climbing up into the foothills of Mount San Lorenzo. Ezcaray is 430 meters above Santo Domingo. I’m sure it’s beautiful!
Thank you :) Good to know re the climb up to Ciruena. And the foothills of Mount San Lorenzo sound great, albeit probably a little taxing on the knees and back!!

The walk up to Cirueña was indeed memorable.. and rather steep!
mmmmm... it's starting to sound rather steep too!! It's good to know. And as weird as this question sounds - do you come down again on just as steep decline? I absolutely dread massive down hills due to my lower back and knees!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
San Milan definitely worth a visit. Yuso and suso one of the highlights of my 2014 Camino

Yes - San Milan is very definitely on our list! Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.