• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for recommendations for pilgrim friendly accommodation in Barcelona.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2009); Portugues (2013); Frances (2015); Finisterre (2015); Invierno (2018); Ingles (2018);
We are planning to walk on the Cami Catalan from Barcelona in April 2024. Can anyone recommend or suggest pilgrim friendly accommodation in Barcelona? We will need to leave a small bag there while we are walking. We are not going to SDC this time so can’t avail ourselves of Ivar’s luggage storage service.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the link Trecile. Gronze has very limited info on the route from Barcelona to Montserrat. No accommodation options listed at all.
Linda

Linda, this may be redundant information for you as you may have seen it in my posts elsewhere. I add it here in case you didn't and for anyone else viewing this thread and not ones where I posted before.

I walked from the beach in Barcelona to Monserrat via Sant Cugat and Terrassa staying at an Airbnb in Sant Cugat with a train trip from Terrassa back to Sant Cugat and then back again to Terrassa. There is now a cheap place to stay in Terrassa, see this thread:

That makes the first night in Sant Cugat the problem but it is on a rail line so you could easily return to Barcelona for the night or find better accomodation in other towns.

Possibly, instead of starting from central Barcelona, you could start walking from the Mundat metro station and get beyond Sant Cugat on day one though I'm not sure if you could make Terrassa. See this post for the location of that walk's start point in relation to the metro station.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would recommend the albergue in Igualada, named Cal Maco it is basically run by the tourist office at Plaça de le Creu,18
We are planning to walk on the Cami Catalan from Barcelona in April 2024. Can anyone recommend or suggest pilgrim friendly accommodation in Barcelona? We will need to leave a small bag there while we are walking. We are not going to SDC this time so can’t avail ourselves of Ivar’s luggage storage service.

I recently returned from a couple weeks in Barcelona, and found it quite expensive to stay there! I found 3 hostels that were very nice and relatively cheap. The Central House Barcelona Gracia is very nice, friendly and in a great location. They were nice enough to hold my bags a couple times, you could ask before you book. They have a couple nice lounge areas and walking distance to most everything. The other 2 I liked were Yeah Barcelona Hostel and Onefam Ramblas. Make sure you book well in advance of your trip, they sell out quickly! Good luck!

I recently returned from a couple weeks in Barcelona, and found it quite expensive to stay there! I found 3 hostels that were very nice and relatively cheap. The Central House Barcelona Gracia is very nice, friendly and in a great location. They were nice enough to hold my bags a couple times, you could ask before you book. They have a couple nice lounge areas and walking distance to most everything. The other 2 I liked were Yeah Barcelona Hostel and Onefam Ramblas. Make sure you book well in advance of your trip, they sell out quickly! Good luck!
Hi JeanneClaire, l have just looked at Central House. It looks really good. Once we get our flights confirmed I will get on to it.
Linda

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Sydney Peregrinos. We always stay at Gaudi Hotel, last June they stored my hiking gear for seven weeks while we toured Spain and Portugal free of charge.

Hello Sydney Peregrinos. We always stay at Gaudi Hotel, last June they stored my hiking gear for seven weeks while we toured Spain and Portugal free of charge.
Thanks Tony! I will look at their website. Did you book directly with the hotel?

We always stay at Gaudi Hotel

We stayed there too and liked it a lot but that was 35 years ago and things change. Which brings up a story on why that's good in this case.

We were driving into Barcelona late, Peg driving and me navigating. I look in our guidebook for a place to stay and I read aloud a good review for the Hotel Gaudí ("located in a colorful part of town") and Peg insists on staying there because her favorite architect's name is used. It is just off of Las Ramblas. Through luck I get us into town easily and see the Columbus monument so I have Peg swing around it and up an avenue. It's midnight and I really don't have any idea of where we are other than in Barcelona. Up the avenue we see a spot to stop. I get out and ask a cab driver if he knows where the hotel might be. He points to a street on the left. It's one block down. He tells me that there's a parking garage on the right. We park below street level and I tell Peg that I will check out the hotel. I walk up the stairs, open the door and I'm greeted by the neon sign "Le Sex Club New York". I then go across Las Ramblas first encountering a sidewalk lined with prostitutes, the street and then a well lit parklike strip with couples and families (at midnight!). I cross another street with traffic heading the other way and then the other outer sidewalk with prostitutes. There's no one on the street leading to the hotel and it was fine with no one looking for a room with an hourly rate. We stayed two nights and both of us were happy with this colorful section of town. It's gotten better over the last 35 years except you have to be on watch for pickpocketing.

Why we were so late getting into Barcelona is a funny story. I told it here:

Now for a tip. The Hotel Gaudí is right across the street from the Palacio Güell, a home Gaudí designed for a patron and now a museum. Your time is better spent visiting Gaudí's more famous works first. I recommend booking the tickets for them online and way ahead of time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was going to post that finding even Tourist friendly accommodation in Barcelona is getting to be a bit of a challenge. Then I thought "what would be the point of that Tinc", then I thought "it's a pertinent comment" so I've dunnit.

I've visited Barca on a regular basis for the last 50 years and yet I would struggle to recommend any of the available accommodations. I take the view these days that all I want is a lockable room with a bed in it so I'll go with whatever Berking comes up with within my target area. @Rick of Rick and Peg 's post reminds me what fun Barca was before the cruise ships took it down.

The Gaudi remains a good choice, the Lloret has always met my requirements. Should you find yourselves in the region of the Plaça Reial search out Los Caracoles. No accommodation but I have managed to spend an entire night there and emerged into the brutal light of dawn...

We are planning to walk on the Cami Catalan from Barcelona in April 2024. Can anyone recommend or suggest pilgrim friendly accommodation in Barcelona? We will need to leave a small bag there while we are walking.
While I have never stayed there, I have on many occasions walked past this albergue in Barcelona: https://reaj.com/albergues/mare-de-deu-de-montserrat/. It is located in Barcelona, in the neighbourhood Vallcarca, at the top end of the city near to where one will find the markers to begin the Catalan camino. It might be worth researching it as a potential place to stay while in Barcelona.

While I have never stayed there, I have on many occasions walked past this albergue in Barcelona: https://reaj.com/albergues/mare-de-deu-de-montserrat/. It is located in Barcelona, in the neighbourhood Vallcarca, at the top end of the city near to where one will find the markers to begin the Catalan camino. It might be worth researching it as a potential place to stay while in Barcelona.
Thanks Linda, we will look at the website.
Buen Camino, Linda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back