• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking to start my first Camino from SJPdP around May 9

Jemima

Time of past OR future Camino
G'day all!

I've been lurking for a bit but am finally getting around to making my first post. I was inspired to walk the Camino by my brother and his fiancee who did it in June of last year. Most of my knowledge comes from them but I still have a couple of questions if anyone is willing to shed a bit of light for me? I'm also a bit nervous as I'll be on my own, so any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

1. Will I need a sleeping bag around this time of year? They ended up throwing theirs out because it was too hot/there were sufficient blankets wherever they stayed. However, I realise I am going a month before the time they went and conditions may be cooler.

2. Should I book accommodation for a night in SJPdP in advance or will I there be places to stay?

3. Any other words of wisdom/encouragement?

Thank you kindly in advance. :)

~ Jem

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1. I have started from SJPDP twice on the 10th/11th May. I use a silk bag liner only. There are often blankets available, but not always. I occasionally wore a t-shirt (obviously being male I have a choice) but not often and not in the last half.
2. There will be places available at this time of year. The tourist office can help but I always book with Beilari (was Esprit du Chemin). They reply promptly to enquiries and you pay on arrival. A good atmosphere at the group meal gives new friends before you start!
3. Don't know where you are travelling from or what time you arrive. You have been lurking so you know that there is plenty advice about transport to SJPdP from Biarritz airport but feel free to ask here if you want information about that or anything else specific.
I envy you. The days immediately before your first Camino are so exciting! Also only 11 days! I have to wait 4 weeks :(. May I be the first to say welcome and Buen Camino.

Thank you Allan for that information and your welcome!

I am flying to London (from Sydney) to spend a week with my sister, then had planned to get the Eurorail to Paris, then make my way from Paris to Biarritz or Bayonne then SJPDP. I'm not wanting to spend time in Paris so was hoping to get the London to SJPDP trip done in one day... or is that crazy???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Could I jump in on this? I too and a first timer and will be in country in 15 days from today. I was planning on taking the french leg from Lu Puy to SJPDP as the first round. Al would you recommend the more traditional route as Jemima is planning as the first experience? I do speak French so was going with my strong suit...

Jemima:

The three of us Canadian Chinese should arrived at sjpp on May 8 afternoon. First spent three nights at Montserrat, then train to Pamplona to spend the night in town, catch the bus to sjpp next morning on the 8th. Hopefully, all work accordingly. We will for sure meet somewhere. Come say hi if you care to.

Lucia, Brian & David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Consider Ryanair London Stanstead to Biarritz. Bus to Bayonne and train to SJPdP or taxi share (look at express bouricott).

That looks like a much faster and cheaper option, thank you for the pro tip!

Jemima:

The three of us Canadian Chinese should arrived at sjpp on May 8 afternoon. First spent three nights at Montserrat, then train to Pamplona to spend the night in town, catch the bus to sjpp next morning on the 8th. Hopefully, all work accordingly. We will for sure meet somewhere. Come say hi if you care to.

Lucia, Brian & David

Hi Lucia, how exciting! I will keep an eye out for you. :)

I haven't walked from Le Puy Scott so I cannot comment on that but I am sure others can. Maybe Kanga? I gather that accommodation is dearer in France, but I could be wrong there. The lack of Spanish is not a problem on the Frances as the general language amongst pilgrims is English and those locals who don't know any are used to dealing with the problem. Also knowing French facilitates gaining a little Spanish along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back