• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Losing my dad while on El Camino

BandoGMG

I had set out to walk mi camino on sept 11th instead of the 12th.
I got to walk from Roncesvalles to Estella. I started walking in St Jean Pied de port
but only got to Hunto and then took a taxi to Roncesvalles. Due to a very bad asthma attack.
My dad lost his life the night I got to Puente la Riena but I didn't get word till the afternoon
I arrived in Estella. I wanted to ask everyone who reads this to
keep my dad and me your prayers. I hope to one day return to finish my camino, with my dads ashes.
Letting them go in Finisterre. Met some wonderful people that because of
my abrupt departure I couldn't retain info to stay in touch.
Juan Antonio Crespo was my dads name.
Our puerto rican heritage calls for a novena, pray a rosary every night for nine nights. Starting the night after burial.

Eventhough I didn't walk all but 125 Kms the camino has meant so much.

Buen camino Papi :-(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jose
It's very sad to hear that you have lost your father.
All I can say is that many of us have come to walk the camino because of a personal loss and so we can know a little of what you are going through.
I send you and your family my condolences. I'm sure I can speak for all of us here in saying, God bless.

I am sorry to read about your Dad's death. It must have been very hard news to hear while you were so far away from home on the Camino. I am sure that many of those you had met already on the Camino will be carrying your Dad with them to Santiago- and one day I hope you are able to return to Estella to continue your own walk.
May he rest in peace.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am so sorry to read of your Dad's passing whilst you were on your own Camino.....May his soul be flying free - my prayers and my condolences to you and your family. Your Dad WILL get to walk your next Camino with you when you next return.
Thoughts and Blessings: Susanawee in Western Australia.

Jose,
I am so sorry to hear of your great loss. I will pray for your dad today, and each day and also as I walk the Camino next year.I lost my dad some time ago and am carrying him in heart when I start my Camino and each step of the way. I am looking to start off in SJDP around 1 Sept 2013.

My condolences and God bless.

My sympathies are with you and your family on your loss. And with you for having to cut short your Camino.
Did you know that you can light a candle in the cathedral in Santiago via the internet?
Visit the website of the cathedral if you are interested.
http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/ing/webcatedral.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can count on my prayers for you and your Dad. Your time on the Camino means that the Camino is with you now and will remain with you. When you return with your Dad's ashes, it will mean a lot to you -- and to him.
In the meantime, take good care of yourself. Losing a parent is tough, especially when you love him (or her) as you seem to.
Blessings.

Hi Papi!
What a sad story ... you asked for our prayers - you've certainly got mine!
As Grilly said, the Camino is part of you now: you WILL come back and complete your pilgrimage, and maybe leave your Dad's remains at Finisterre.
Death is part of life. We all get there eventually. But until we do, we continue to hold all our loved ones in our hearts. I still talk to my Mum who died 12 years ago!
May God bless you, give you peace of mind and comfort, and walk with you, every step of your personal "camino".
Buen Camino, Papi!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hey Papi

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost both my Dad and Grrandpa (his dad) this year so I know how you must feel. I will be walking a section of the Camino this October and I will be doing it in their honor. I know they'll help guide my way... ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
May you and your family be comforted during this very sad time of loss. Your Papi is so proud of you and your Camino (past & future)! Prayers for comfort and mercy coming your way.

You, your father, and your family have my prayers brother - and no matter how it may seem to you at the moment, all is well, he is well, you are well.

Return when you can, pilgrim, return and walk with thoughts of your Dad by your side.

Buen Camino

Coram Deo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm sorry for you.
My father had terminal cancer when I walked my Camino.
I was blessed to be with him for 8 months after my return.
I think I accomplished much of my grieving on the Camino, in preparation for his passing.
He wanted me to go.

No doubt your father wants you to finish your journey.

Buen Camino
David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi jose. I'm so sorry to hear about you're father. My prayers are with you brother. I'm glad you started you're Camino and just wish I could have been with you brother. I'm sorry I never got back in touch due to family problems. I'm thinking now of going to SSJP in 3 weeks and if I finish will do it for you're father. Kind regards Stu

Hey Stu
Thanks man. I wish you well on your camino bro.
If I could afford it, I would return to finish my Camino with you.
It was a great expirence the few days I got to walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jose, I am so sorry about your loss.

At the cathedral mass I attended, in Santiago, prayers were said for all our beloved who have gone ahead of us. And for all the people we walked for. My father died three months after I finished my first walk.

I hope am sure that the next time you walk it, for your father, the Camino will speak to you and you will find something important. But in the meantime I will send a prayer for you as you make it through daily life, and I am sure other people are praying for you too.

Love and blessings

Anita, England

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back