• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lowe alpine airzone pro 35+10

Espee84

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2018
VdlP 2019
2020 Hatching plans
Apologies for another kit question. Last camino I managed with an old 25l north face rucksack but I think I need a little more space this time (partly because the weather will be a bit cooler).
Fast approaching 2nd camino. I was perusing the rucksacks in an outdoor shop yesterday to see what was available and somehow managed to come away with a Lowe Alpine airzone pro 35-45. It has many benefits but I don’t usually do impulse buying...

Anyone else have experience of this pack?

One of my main concerns is that the size limit for Ryanair is 55cm and the pack (at most packed down) the shortest i can make it is 56. Are they likely to quibble?
It is being checked in as a 10kg bag and I am also worried about how I get a bag with so many straps and loopy bits safely in and out of the hold without it getting caught on something.

Not sure why I have ended up trying to sort out kit at the last minute. Usually I have everything well organised in advance!

Muchas gracias por ayudarme!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just keep squashing it down to be 55cm. And look innocent. As for straps. I have a nylon bag it fits into. I would pop it into that at the last minute. MAybe some masking tape to close it off as well.. or some bungee cords. You say checked in: so you have paid for that to go in the hold? Definitely then, use a cheap nylon bag to throw it into, and strap it up whichever way will cause time delay if anybody feels like having a look in...keep on wrapping it around with masking tape till you are blue in the face! Good luck. Let us know the result!

Hi @Espee84

I've got an Airzone 45-55 and love it, perhaps a bit big in terms of capacity for most caminos but I use it for other things and I'm a big guy anyway so it works.

Anyway good news is I've not had any trouble with this pack on Easyjet or Ryanair, the key is that the wire frame determines the dimensions and unless your pack is absolutely stuffed you should be able to orient it diagonally in the measuring frames and fit just fine.

Strap management is definitely a concern to me after my Gregory got torn to shreds by the baggage machine at Milan airport. Using the rain cover makes a massive difference in securing all the straps and you can do further things like fully tightening the hip belt straps and stowing the dangling ends in the hip belt pockets. For further protection you could use some kind of light outer bag or have it wrapped in plastic at the airport but I've found this not to be necessary.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This cheap Ikea bag is big enough to hold your backpack if you have to check it.

Screenshot_20190331-063826_Firefox.jpg

The pole stowage arrangement looks excellent.
I'd place expensive or fragile items such as cameras in a separate bag inside the main pack.
Then if they decide you have to put the bag in the hold you can at least carry these on with you.
Something like the SeatoSummit bag would be ideal.
I've also noticed that if your ticket has priority boarding you tend to get to take your 10Kg bag
with you, whilst non priority boarders were being told they had to put them in the hold.
Buen Camino

I use the 35l Low Apline airflow, and always check it in because I have walking poles, scissors, a knife etc. The first time, I was worried about the straps too, so I used a piece of strong plastic and wrapped it. Second and all subsequent times I just used a couple of normal bin bags - first I tuck the straps as neatly as possible, then I put the first bin bag over the top of the rucksack and tie at the bottom, then put the rucksack into the other bag and tie at the top. Then I use packing tape to seal the top of the bag and finally I tie string around in a couple of places to keep the bin bag tightly against the edges of the rucksack. It's quite an art to get the air out of the bags but well worth doing carefully. For coming home, I pack a couple more bin bags and a little bit of packing tape at the bottom of the bag. Works fine for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all. I particularly like the FRAKTA Ikea bag!

I use one of these backpack cover. Very lightweight also used it for baggae transpoort when unable to carry backpack due to inflamed knee.

I have this pack and checked if in the hold on easyJet using their hands free service, 7 euro and they put your carry on bag in the hold and give you prototype boarding. This way you avoid security. My walking poles fitted inside the bag if I pulled them apart. The straps I just pulled them tight and secured them with a carabineer.
I have only walked 110km so far with it but it seems to be ok, I hardly notice I have it on. I tried the osprey 35 in the store and found d it to be too short in the back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.