• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making it better

brkdn2

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francais, (2014 Aug.)
I was wondering if its common or polite to pick up some fruit or cheese at a market and share at meals or before,also are there things you could buy and give to an albergue you enjoyed like some dish cloths or a oven mitts. The best advice I've read here was that a pilgrim is thankful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you feel inclined to do these things from the goodness of your heart, then you should do them. Our gratitude can be displayed in a number of ways: by being respectful to the hospitaleros, leaving the bathrooms as you found them, trying your best not to make too much noise if you leave the albergues in the early hours (certainly not throwing on the lights as some people do). We can also keep a look out for walkers who don't look well, or offer assistance to those who might need it in some other way. You'll have a brilliant time! Buen Camino!

Some of my most memorable moments on the Camino were my 'pilgrim meals'. Usually unplanned but everyone brought something to share. No-one checked who brought what, simply a wonderful sharing experience. Only back for 4 weeks and already missing it and planning my next Camino. Whatever you offer to other pilgrims, will be paid back 10 fold in a variety of ways. You will enjoy the experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would love to cook for others. I am sure you have read the book "Stone Soup" or other renditions of the story. On the Island I live on half the year, use this theory in sharing. An Islander starts a pot of soup...then others add what they have etc. It turns out so great. The elders are brought a bowl or so..ALWAYS! It cooks for hours off the road. And this happens without a word. Even if it's a cow harvested from the island or a Sea Turtle. Not a drop goes wasted. I love the way the island shares amongst themselves. The closest "groceries" are a boat ride away a couple times a week. And that's if the seas are down and the weather is good. As the saying goes, "It takes a Village" and I love my little Island for all it's Love! I am so looking forward to this Journey.
Buen Camino,
Cindi

I'm seriously considering being one of those peregrinos who picks up trash other peregrinos leave behind (that bugs me). I'm trying to figure out a way to bring one of those grabber thingies with me. A pair of gloves doesn't weigh anything and I could buy garbage bags along the way, I'm just worried I'd get a very odd reputation, lol.

Some of my most treasured Camino memories are centred around food. Perhaps everyone thought I needed feeding up because of my slight build. On one occasion, I had just finished eating my lunch when a stranger asked if he could sit with me. He explained that his melon was far too big for one person and he offered me half. At home, I would have been wary but on the Camino it felt companionable. I thanked him and we later parted ways never to see each other again. Nor did I ever see again the Italian angel who took one look at my emotionally drained state when I arrived at the albergue and insisted I sit down and eat a meal he and his friend had just cooked. Then there was the delightful 19 year old Danish girl who asked if she could cook for me. During dinner she commented that it didn't taste very good but it was cooked with much love. I thought it tasted like one of the best pastas I had ever eaten.

So, is it OK to pick up some fruit or cheese and share it around? Definitely!

One couple I met made a practice of buying some rolls of toilet paper every time they finished their day's walking. Not only did the hospitaleros appreciate their gesture, so did the other pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm seriously considering being one of those peregrinos who picks up trash other peregrinos leave behind (that bugs me). I'm trying to figure out a way to bring one of those grabber thingies with me. A pair of gloves doesn't weigh anything and I could buy garbage bags along the way, I'm just worried I'd get a very odd reputation, lol.
So many stories to tell, one is of the retired preacher who got the vision to pick up trash. A beautiful couple from N.Y. I called him " Mr. Trash-Man" a man in his 80's who picked up everything and didn't care if anyone saw him doing it! His goal was to get more trash containers along the way. For the most part I saw very little trash along my journey.

Don't worry Anne100. The worst that can happen is that people think you're a convict doing community service. Generally you'll get respect and encouragement from pilgrims and locals alike. Just be aware that in the towns and villages themselves someone may be employed to pick litter so best stick to the areas between villages. You can sometimes get a litter picker that folds in half so is easy to transport, but to be honest all the ones I've had have been pretty trashy themselves and don't last long.

There are some 'tricks of the trade' you might want to use;

- be aware of where the next village is so you don't end up carrying a full bag for miles. I usually only pick bigger items (plastic bottles etc) within 5kms of the next village. EVERY village has a big dumpster.
- when far away from a village you can cut the top off a plastic bottle and stuff it with chocolate/crisp/cigarette packets and other smaller items while ignoring the larger ones. One or two plastic bottles carry a lot of trash but are much easier to transport longer distances than a bag.
- if you're feeling really dedicated, doing a short day, or really like a village, walk a few hundred metres beyond the village and walk back in towards it clearing trash. The area just after a village gets really messed up after pilgrims have bought and consumed stuff in the shop. You can then dump the bag and start your day's walk/go to dinner etc.

Good luck! It's really rewarding when you walk for miles and leave it spotless. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was wondering if its common or polite to pick up some fruit or cheese at a market and share at meals or before,also are there things you could buy and give to an albergue you enjoyed like some dish cloths or a oven mitts. The best advice I've read here was that a pilgrim is thankful.

It is always nice and appreciated to pick up any kind of fruits, cheese, chorizos, etc, to share with your fellows peregrinos. What the albergues could always use are some kitchen utensils or you could ask the hospitaleros as to what is needed for the albergues. Things like cork screw, bottle opener, can opener, etc are the most common things that disappeared from the kitchen.

Buen camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have cooked for others and that is so joyful. I have done the dishes when others shared a meal with me. Buy some extra apples and other fruit that hold for long and leave for others. Spices are always welcomed.

2 days ago there was a young couple of young Italians by my table in Bruna. They shared a pilgrims menu eating half of the soup and half of the meat each. I'm gluten intolerant so my really big piece of bread I would have thrown away I handed over to them. They looked so surprised and now they had breakfast.

You can do easy things like put all dishes in the place they belong as many people don't read the signs about using the towel and dry and put back the things. They just put them on the bench and let the hospitaliera fix.

If you want to help other pilgrims leave a bar of soap, body lotion, hair conditioner and luxary stuff like that in albergues. In one place I bought a family bottle of shower gel used it once and left it. It cost me about € 2.

The most important thing if you have to use toilet paper outdoors hide it or take it with you. And poo way out of the track. That would give everyone a better experience.

Anne, increasingly I find myself litter picking , even in locations where my one pair of hands picking are as nothing to the hundreds of pairs dropping. My problem is that I can't stop and end up wanting to clear Europe ! The author David Sedaris writes about his obsession here http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/littering-his-home-truths-20130405-2hbbf.html

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't avoid the possible by demanding the perfect. I resolve each morning to pick up five items. It does not burden me, and if everyone did it, there would be real progress on litter! I don't leave the world in the best possible state, but I do leave it in an improved state. And it does not trash my back with a large number of waist bends with a back pack.

Thanks for the feedback . Love the toilet paper idea not flashey and always welcomed. I look forward to cooking some Midwest classics if I come across the right Mercado. The kids say I make a mean FritoPie. I really asked this question because I read some people felt like the feeling had changed and due to the economic situation I'm not surprised. I feel like I'll only get one chance at this and Momma said "You only get as good as you give"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back