• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making lemonade in Leon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IMG_20230709_200925973.jpg

Look, I know what you are going to say but honestly, I only ordered three items. I guess that either the shop proprietor instantly recognised me as a potential serial customer that needs to be lured in or else she was closing soon and wanted to move some excess stock.

This lot cost me €3 in Leon just now.

The item at the top right corner was the nicest and that is a piece of Mandarin on chocolate then custard. Middle top, which I definitely didn't order was probably a close second place, chocolate over pastry with a custard centre. The item with three occurrences is/was a layered pastry with custard in some layers with icing on top.

That was dinner sorted!

Today I need to walk off the extra pastries and so visited the Gaudi experience in Leon. I really enjoyed it. I had thought of Gaudi as just being a flamboyant architect but I am really impressed with his combination of great design and aesthetics. A bit like how I admire the design of the Concord aeroplane. With the front down and a high pitch as it came in to land it always looked like a giant bird of prey to me.

For me, the best designs are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing and now I have a much better understanding of Gaudi in that space.

IMG_20230709_120721214_HDR.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Today I need to walk off the extra pastries and so visited the Gaudi experience in Leon. I really enjoyed it. I had thought of Gaudi as just being a flamboyant architect but I am really impressed with his combination of great design and aesthetics. A bit like how I admire the design of the Concord aeroplane. With the front down and a high pitch as it came in to land it always looked like a giant bird of prey to me.

For me, the best designs are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing and now I have a much better understanding of Gaudi in that space.

View attachment 152083
Architecture, street furniture, material design - the university outside the walls for the untaught...some like Gaudi knew that.
So spouts one with a little knowledge. 😇
A very dangerous thing on a platform like this.
You and I have met,
I reply to you, knowing you will understand.
A happy meeting, although brief. I hope the enforced rest is going to enable you to reach your goal before returning to the other side of the world.👣👣

I also spent a couple if days in Leon, waiting for a knee to get better. I hobbled through the cathedral and then Casa Botines, where I discovered Gaudi. The next thing I knew, I was on a flight to Barcelona! I toured 4 or 5 Gaudi creations there, with minimal walking, thanks to the hop on/hop off buses. It helped take the sting out of having to end my Camino for this year. The knee eventually got well enough that I was able to walk from Finisterre to Muxia, so the lemonade ended up being tasty!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, now I need to visit a Gaudi creation or two. I followed the initial design/ testing etc
cs. A bit like how I admire the design of the Concord aeroplane. With the front down and a high pitch as it came in to land it always looked like a giant bird of prey to me.
of Concord as a child via magazine’s, and whilst living in London years later often used to go out to Heathrow to stand at the end of the runway when it took off (initially at my girlfriends insistence). An incredible piece of Art/ engineering.

Yeah, right. We know you😋😂!
Please post the exact location that I may never ever wander in there 😉!
Hope you are recuperating well!
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JYYKMYJrvgD267Vm6

The young woman in there keeps giving me stuff!

Today I went in for a coffee and bought three items and so she added another, "gift" she said smiling.

Then when I get my coffee, which only cost €0.60 it comes with yet another small pastry 🍰!

IMG_20230710_130447558.jpg IMG_20230710_130453298.jpg

Her generosity and the generosity of other Spanish people lately got me thinking today. I went into a small Supermercardo to buy some items for the walk tomorrow and I was browsing the ice-creams. I noticed that one brand name ice-cream was €2 each while a packet of four unbranded ones was also €2 so I bought the packet of four.

Later as I sat in the shade outside the Cathedral waiting for it to open I had one ice-cream myself and offered one to an elderly gent sitting on the same seat. Initially he was a bit suspicious but when he noticed that they were sealed in their original wrapping he accepted one. Later a younger man came along to collect the elderly gent and I offered him one too but he was much too suspicious of me and refused vigorously and so I had to eat his ice-cream myself 😭.

Edit: BTW the burnt cream lemon tart, bottom left on the plate of four, was superb!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.