• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Many thanks for all of the great advice!

MStypula

Hi! My name is Merril and I am beginning the camino on April 14. Although I have been interested in embarking on this journey for some time now, I only very recently found myself in the position to take 6 weeks away from my life to enjoy this wonderful adventure. Due to my last minute(ish) decision to walk, I realize how LOST I would be without out all of the kind words and advice so many kind people have shared on this forum.
Thank you.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Merril!

When you start walking you'll realise what a wonderful time of year you've chosen. I started on 19th April last year and the weather, the wild flowers and wildlife etc. couldn't have been better. It's spring, with all that that brings.

Having said that, the weather the previous year was dreadful, apparently... :shock:

You'll love it! :D Buen Camino!

Hi Mirril
have a great time
I'll be one day behind you walking with my son,my only advice is if you see the old man huffing and puffing anywhere you must try and revive him with a glass of vino tinto :D
buen camino
Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Glad to hear you´ve returned to the fold, Ian, I had a feeling you hadn´t hung your boots up for good yet. Buen Camino.
Sandra :arrow:

Tyrrek:
The thought just occurred me to ask you about some other weather conditions you experienced last spring. I realize you seemingly hit the jackpot with your weather scenario...but maybe you have some information to share nonetheless.
1.) When it rains, what "type" of rain is most typical? Torrential downpour? Or more like a constant drizzle or mist? I am planning on taking a reliable rain jacket, but no rain pants (as they make me hot and always stick to my legs, I think I would rather have wet legs) and no poncho (although highly recommended, it seems like a bit of a hassle, and not all the comfortable, thoughts?).
2.) How cold did it get during your camino? How many days were you hiking in pants and how many nights were you layering up in a sleeping bag?
3) (combo question!) When it rained, was it very cold? Like I said, I can handle getting reasonably wet as long as it is not also quite cold out. I have pretty poor circulation, and that combination does not tend to settle well with me.
Thanks in advance for your help. I realize weather stats of past years along the camino are posted online, but I find it harder to gauge the actual temperature without actually walking/hiking in it. Feel free to add any other useful information...
Cheers
Merril

MStypula said:
Tyrrek:
The thought just occurred ....
Hi Merril.

I was a dreadful pilgrim, so I'm quite selective about giving advice on practical issues. For example, I accidentally left my sleeping bag in the first albergue I stayed in. That's how competent I was. :oops:

That said, I didn't freeze, didn't starve, and am still alive. And I will offer advice based on my mistakes!

When it rains it can be heavy (take a rest day!), but it was more often like a misty rain/drizzle, which can actually be quite refreshing! It is worth having a cover for your pack, and a rain jacket but at that time of year I personally don't think you have to worry about a seriously warm jacket too much. I think 80% of the time I was walking in shorts and a t-shirt. A decent fleece is good, especially for the evening when it cools down.

It will be a bit chilly at night if the sky is clear, so a sleeping bag rather than liner is a good idea. You'll notice in the morning when you start walking that there's still a chill in the air for an hour or so, but that just means that it will be warm later. You will need sun cream at times.

Clear skies at night mean beautiful starry skies so remember to enjoy them, especially when you're in an albergue away from the towns and cities. I might be wrong, but the air seems so much clearer in spring before all the summer dust. Find somewhere just to lie down, look at the sky and wonder!

Overall I think we sometimes overstate the equipment that is desirable on this forum. I took old or cheap t-shirts etc so I could just bin anything that I found was not necessary. Everything you put on your feet should be good quality, though, and quick-dry clothes are most certainly a plus. Remember that you're not climbing Everest. If you ever feel uncomfortable you can get what you need in Spain.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back