• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Map of Camino Frances

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suggest that you go to the resources and download the elevation map for the Frances, and strongly consider purchasing the Wise Pilgrim App for your phone. The app has live mapping abilities, and shows all the places to sleep along the route with dropped pins. Brilliant.

I suggest that you go to the resources and download the elevation map for the Frances, and strongly consider purchasing the Wise Pilgrim App for your phone. The app has live mapping abilities, and shows all the places to sleep along the route with dropped pins. Brilliant.[/QUO

Thank you Peregrina

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Some of our fellow Teutonic pilgrims, overwhelmingly brethren, are barking mad in all things concerning elevation and maps. I have seen them walking with 1:50,000 perhaps 1:100000 only elevation and printed on very light and very tightly rolled paper. I never really felt a need for such never desired to carry such but somewhere these maps do exist!

Last edited:
Where can I download a map of the Camino Frances for me to make plans of the journey.
Gracias Peregrino
If you're looking for an overall map of the entire Camino(s), Ivar sells a map of Spain and Portugal which shows all the different Camino routes. You can find it here: https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...s/products/camino-de-santiago-map-1-1-250-000 This is a large, fold-out map printed on waterproof paper. However, it would be easy enough to just use your scissors and cut it down to just your planned route.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for larger scale maps to plan your day-to-day itinerary, any of the printed guidebooks (Brierley, etc) or the on-line guides (Gronze, etc), or smartphone apps (Wise Pilgrim, etc) have suitable maps. Be aware, that there are discrepancies of a few km here and there between the various maps of this sort, none of which amount to a hill of beans in the overall picture IMO. Just a word of unsolicited advice: don't over-plan. Let the spirit guide you once you start walking, and don't lock yourself into pre-planned, pre-reserved accommodations. It's easy to set your goals as you walk, and you can call ahead to make a reservation on the day before, or even on the morning of, each day to reserve a bed. This becomes a bit more necessary after you reach Sarria (or Tui on the Portuguese route), but even then, it is usually not possible to reserve in the municipal or xuntaalbergues.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you're looking for an overall map of the entire Camino(s), Ivar sells a map of Spain and Portugal which shows all the different Camino routes. You can find it here: https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...s/products/camino-de-santiago-map-1-1-250-000 This is a large, fold-out map printed on waterproof paper. However, it would be easy enough to just use your scissors and cut it down to just your planned route.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for larger scale maps to plan your day-to-day itinerary, any of the printed guidebooks (Brierley, etc) or the on-line guides (Gronze, etc), or smartphone apps (Wise Pilgrim, etc) have suitable maps. Be aware, that there are discrepancies of a few km here and there between the various maps of this sort, none of which amount to a hill of beans in the overall picture IMO. Just a word of unsolicited advice: don't over-plan. Let the spirit guide you once you start walking, and don't lock yourself into pre-planned, pre-reserved accommodations. It's easy to set your goals as you walk, and you can call ahead to make a reservation on the day before, or even on the morning of, each day to reserve a bed. This becomes a bit more necessary after you reach Sarria (or Tui on the Portuguese route), but even then, it is usually not possible to reserve in the municipal or xuntaalbergues.

Buen Camino!
Thank you Perregrino

The Reise, Jacobsweg 1:350,000 Spanien, Nord ISBN 978-3-8317-7079-3 www.reise-know-how.de/de/shop?populate=spanien%2C+nord covers most of the Camino Frances (from Pamplona), Norte (from Bayonne) and the Primitivo. Not much use for navigation unless you are the support bus driver but it looks really impressive if you spread it out on the office floor and then say "and thats only half-of-it, wait till I turn it over...".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If looking for a paper map. I bought one in Spain on my camino just look for a book store otherwise you can check amazon. I used wise pilgrim app which can be utilized off line and also the electronic guidebook.

... but it looks really impressive if you spread it out on the office floor and then say "and thats only half-of-it, wait till I turn it over...".
A friend has one of those atlas-type map books of Spain and Portugal where the pages are roughly A2-sized paper. I copied all the relevant pages for the Camino Frances and taped them together for a map that's approximately .5 meter north-south x 2 meters east-west. That's the biggest I have, and it's pretty impressive when it's rolled out. But you've got me beat with the "wait till I turn it over" comment. I guess you win the bragging rights. :D

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you want to see them on your screen, take a look at this page. You can zoom in and out, of you click on a route you find what route it is the distance.

I tried more than 10 of Android programs and found "Camino Companion".
You can taste it between SJPP and Pamplona how full version works.
But whole programs price is ridiculous compared to usefulness. My wife is not fond
of programs, but after Pamplona found it precious.
Advantage is: all maps can be loaded in fone and no internet use is needed.
Benny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I ordered a National Geographic map of Northern Spain, ISBN 781566 955386 through my local bookstore. Although it doesn't mark the distances between possible “stops” it does have all those wonderful villages you will pass through, as well as other points of interest along the CF. The entire CF is marked in green if you are looking for something with whole route. It also has the Primitivo and the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back