• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

maps

litsl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la plata (January 2013) / previously hiked much of the PCT (2007 - 1600 miles)
Hi

I am planning to leave soon from Seville (perhaps 29th December). I got quite a lot of advice on another thread which has been very helpful. The one thing I am struggling with is maps. Well, maps and guidebooks. I have a alison raju £5 blue guide. She says , 'maps are a problem in spain' and recommends some 1:400000 maps but says they are inadequate. So I'm left wondering what I can get. My main concern is route finding when there is snow on the ground.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Litsl

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. I don't know which edition of Alison Raju's guide you have seen, but the 2011 edition shows a series of maps which look to be hand drafted, but which lack any detail - just the places the camino passes through. Much better is Mundicamino, which breaks the VDLP into stages and shows the places on the camino, the elevations, accomodation, shops etc. However I do not know how up to date it is. There is also an App for smart phones/pods from Apple which is very good with lots of detail and it is updated regularly. I have also got a map for the whole of Spain which gives a bird's eye view of the whole route. I am planning to start the VDLP on or about April 9 next year and this is the result of my research so far. Buen Camino

A map will not tell you where the trail is under the snow. A GPS with a track loaded will. An iPhone with an app such as motionX will.

I frequently ski mountain bike trails covered with snow by following a GPS tracklog. Send me a PM if you need help getting started.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When we rode it last year, we used the German red book. We are Australian and used the book for the profiles and which towns the albergues were in. We also had cycling GPS's, and no matter what people say, they weigh nothing and you can get walking Garmin GPS units that sit around your neck. I used this when I walked the Portuguese and il Primitivo. As for maps, to be honest, there are arrows everywhere, you cannot get lost

What book or guide would you recommend? I heard Cicerone's is sold out. I am able to read in Spanish, French and German (and Dutch of course), but would prefer English.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back