• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2014 Pilgrim

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mark, you know I am starting in Roncesvalles on the sixth. I am glad you are asking, we may find some future friends

Only a few of us crazy enough to walk in March!!! Hope to see you on the way...:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Who else is planning to walk in March 2014? I am leaving St Jean on 9th March.

We started from SJPP in April, and walked over the SNOWY Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. Totally unfit, and it was exhausting, but had to keep walking or sleep in the snow - not a healthy option. Staggered to Valcarlos, 14km away, an enormous effort on day one! Check your weather as much as you can prior to walking.

Only half crazy, starting at the end of March....:confused: I'm leaning towards tenting most of it and mail ration drops (3-5 days) ahead of time. Not sure if anyone has done this before.

Peace of Passage!

We'll be starting somewhere around March 17th or 18th, depending on the train from Paris to SJPP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Only half crazy, starting at the end of March....:confused: I'm leaning towards tenting most of it and mail ration drops (3-5 days) ahead of time. Not sure if anyone has done this before.

Peace of Passage!

I had actually considered camping myself but was advised not to do so. It will be exceptionally cold I'm sure.

We'll be starting somewhere around March 17th or 18th, depending on the train from Paris to SJPP.

I will be a good 10 days ahead of you so unlikely we will meet, but hope your walk is wonderful.
Buen Camino :)

I will be starting on 21 march from SJPdP.

PS I am aware that the weather is variable but I didn't think trains could also be. Really?!?

Theresa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for this vital info. I've been trying to book the TGV train but the site state that they are not open for march 2014 as yet.

Do you have a rough idea of what time THE daily train leaves CDG? My schedule is pretty tight and I may need to change my fight.

I will be starting on 21 march from SJPdP.

PS I am aware that the weather is variable but I didn't think trains could also be. Really?!?

Theresa

We're arriving in Paris on Sunday morning. There is a train on March 16th, but it arrives in SJPP at 10:30 PM. So we're not yet sure if we can find a better route that will get us there earlier, if we should stay overnight in Bayonne, or if we should stay an extra day in SJPP before leaving on the 18th. :)

(Seriously, I booked my plane ticket *way* too fast. A Saturday or Monday morning arrival would have been much better, since there are fewer trains to Bayonne on Sunday.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
God willing, we, along with one of our daughters will begin our walk on Saturday, March 29th, 2014.

We are arriving in Paris on Friday the 28th at 14:20 then flying to Biarritz (easyjet $96 ea) at 18:20/ar 19:50 and after an overnight stay in Bayonne, we will board the 7:45 train to SJPP arriving at 9:04am on Saturday. At this point in time, we are thinking that we will begin our walk by noon or so since I'm sure we will be itching to start but we plan to stop in Orrison, hopefully to rest off any lingering jet lag. Of course if the weather is bad, we will adjust our plans accordingly. We don't yet have reservations in Orrison, I understand the web site is closed during the winter months but I will check into that sometime early next year (Jan).

Thanks Stellere for the link to the trains, just bought our train tickets for Bayonne to SJPP; don't quite understand about the seating yet (not assigned) but I guess as long as we are able to get on the train....

Hope to meet up with some of you along the way.
Blessings!

God willing, we, along with one of our daughters will begin our walk on Saturday, March 29th, 2014.

We are arriving in Paris on Friday the 28th at 14:20 then flying to Biarritz (easyjet $96 ea) at 18:20/ar 19:50 and after an overnight stay in Bayonne, we will board the 7:45 train to SJPP arriving at 9:04am on Saturday. At this point in time, we are thinking that we will begin our walk by noon or so since I'm sure we will be itching to start but we plan to stop in Orrison, hopefully to rest off any lingering jet lag. Of course if the weather is bad, we will adjust our plans accordingly. We don't yet have reservations in Orrison, I understand the web site is closed during the winter months but I will check into that sometime early next year (Jan).

Thanks Stellere for the link to the trains, just bought our train tickets for Bayonne to SJPP; don't quite understand about the seating yet (not assigned) but I guess as long as we are able to get on the train....

Hope to meet up with some of you along the way.
Blessings!
Buen Camino Alicia!!!! Ed

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for this vital info. I've been trying to book the TGV train but the site state that they are not open for march 2014 as yet.

Do you have a rough idea of what time THE daily train leaves CDG? My schedule is pretty tight and I may need to change my fight.

Hi Theresa.
So sorry i didn't see your post until now. The schedule can be booked up to about 3 months in advance and as of this moment is showing schedules up intil March 14th, so about another week and you will be able to book your train. Friday the 14thand Saturday the 15th is showing 2 trains per day. Week days and Sundays is showing 1.
Here is the link for those days so you can see the times. Hope this will help some. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know. I would be more than happy. Please note: The train is not showing as leaving from CDG station but another close by. I will research this and find out more info and get back to you as soon as I can.
http://www.raileurope.com/us/point_...and=public&saleCountry=us&rows=&itemId=-1&fn=

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Theresa.

Theresa.
OK it looks like there is an airport coach that runs from CDG to Montparnasse train station every 30 minutes. So there shouldn't be a problem. If any other pilgrims are familiar with this station set up please feel free to jump in as I want to ensure Theresa has the most accurate information.
Thanks

May be a bit out of topic but do we really need shower sandals? My sons are all swimers and insist that in public showers we need to wear sandals. Opinions please.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
May be a bit out of topic but do we really need shower sandals? My sons are all swimers and insist that in public showers we need to wear sandals. Opinions please.

I plan on bringing some lightweight crocks or flip flops for the showers. Better safe than sorry I figure.

Karen, I guess you are right. I am going over and over my packing list trying to find more things to leave behind. It is now less than 3 months... can hardly wait.

I'm planning on leaving SJPP on 8th March for no other reason than it's my birthday.
Haven't made any travel plans yet.I had thought about taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander but it may be a bit complicated getting to SJPP from there.I may end up taking the train all the way from Scotland.
Hope to catch up with some of you on the way.

I started my Camino last March 10th, unfortunately snow prevented us taking the mountain pass to Roncevalles and we heard a Camino rumour that 2 Korean pilgrims had to be airlifted off the mountian. Follow local advice. The road route is pleasant and very little traffic. After the first day every step just falls into place. Be prepared for cold wet weather, gloves, snood and breathable waterproofs will be required at some point. Peaked cap is good to keep the rain out of your eyes and the sun off your face if it prevails. Most important you will have good days and bad days but the last day in Santiago makes up for all else. Buen Camino. I have just booked my flights to Lisbon in March hope to be in Santiago by 17 April, it's an addiction.

I started my Camino last March 10th, unfortunately snow prevented us taking the mountain pass to Roncevalles and we heard a Camino rumour that 2 Korean pilgrims had to be airlifted off the mountian. Follow local advice. The road route is pleasant and very little traffic. After the first day every step just falls into place. Be prepared for cold wet weather, gloves, snood and breathable waterproofs will be required at some point. Peaked cap is good to keep the rain out of your eyes and the sun off your face if it prevails. Most important you will have good days and bad days but the last day in Santiago makes up for all else. Buen Camino. I have just booked my flights to Lisbon in March hope to be in Santiago by 17 April, it's an addiction.
Thanks for the advice,I'm prepared to take the road route on day one as I know how quickly the weather can change on high ground at any time of the year let alone late winter.As for the rain,I live in wet and windy south west Scotland and on my last 3 day hike in the local hills it rained for 12 hours solid on the first day with water flowing through the tents at night,fortunately the following 2 days were bright and sunny which dried us out and lifted the spirits.Buen Camino.I may catch up with you sometime.

Hi dinkumdigger

I took Eurostar from London to Paris, and then TGV from Paris to Bayonne, then Bayonne to SJPP. I really enjoyed the journey with the time to think and read a bit.

For me it was better than the hectic rush of airplanes.

Just my experience, in case it helps your decision

Tim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for that Tim.I think I'll do as you suggest and I'll take the coach to London as it's easier to get to this end.

I haven't flown since 1979 and don't intend starting now,my arms get too tired!

I was down your way earlier in the year walking the South Downs way and camping en route.It rained for 2 days out of Winchester and then a week of really hot weather ideal for visiting the odd pub,it was a great walk and,I think, a good first practice for the Camino.

Graham

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We plan to leave Pamplona on my birthday, March 1. So it looks like we will be about a week ahead of most, though if we start out with low mileage days you might catch up. Am sure we won't be alone. This is a non-religious pilgrimage for us, our first long trek on foot; we usually go on two wheels

We plan to leave Pamplona on my birthday, March 1. So it looks like we will be about a week ahead of most, though if we start out with low mileage days you might catch up. Am sure we won't be alone. This is a non-religious pilgrimage for us, our first long trek on foot; we usually go on two wheels
marti,
Even if I wear my super Mercury M72 rocket boots I have no chance of catching up with you.Have a good one.
Buen Camino
Graham

Hi everyone,
I believe I am joining the ranks of the March 2014 pilgrims :)
My decision to go has been recent and unexpected. I always wanted to go, but something has pushed me into doing this now. I just decided on it last week and wanted to leave as soon as possible but thought it would be better to wait for March. I plan on starting the French way from SJPP the 2nd or 3rd, and I have to admit that I am worried about the weather. I am female and will be traveling by myself, which is another concern. It's funny because the part I am most looking forward to is the solitary walks, but it is also the part that's making me the most nervous.

Best,
Moran

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Itis getting pretty close. Flying Toronto to Madrid via Frankfurt on March 3rd, arriving to Pamplona on the 4th to Roncesvalles on the 5th and start walking on the 6th. Doing one more backpack check today.
I hope to meet some of you along the way,.
Only 28 more days.

€46,-
Itis getting pretty close. Flying Toronto to Madrid via Frankfurt on March 3rd, arriving to Pamplona on the 4th to Roncesvalles on the 5th and start walking on the 6th. Doing one more backpack check today.
I hope to meet some of you along the way,.
Only 28 more days.

Go Gil. We all behind you!

Theresa: Thank you.
We just re-pack and left more things behind. My backpack comes in at 7.4 kg and hers at 6 kg. I am still missing about 1/2 kilo of my daily medications.
I hope the backpacks are skinny enough.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back