• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2019 Arrival

lpscheid

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2019
Greetings,

Booked my one-way ticket for my first Camino via Kiwi.com last night (feeling a little uneasy about Kiwi) to arrive in Paris (ORY) on March 29 at 1210. Thoughts about staying in Paris for the night, getting on a train right away to SJPP or waiting until the next day to take the train? Goal is to start the Camino from SJPP on Sunday, March 31 via Napoleon route (fingers crossed).

Thanks! Lindsey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings,

Booked my one-way ticket for my first Camino via Kiwi.com last night (feeling a little uneasy about Kiwi) to arrive in Paris (ORY) on March 29 at 1210. Thoughts about staying in Paris for the night, getting on a train right away to SJPP or waiting until the next day to take the train? Goal is to start the Camino from SJPP on Sunday, March 31 via Napoleon route (fingers crossed).

Thanks! Lindsey
Hi Lindsey...you must be so excited!
I flew into Paris from Australia arriving about the same time as you...although in 2012! I caught the train into the city centre, wandered around 'the sights' for a few hours & then boarded another train for Bordeaux where I stayed two nights.
What you do will depend on how interested you are in Paris, if you've been before & how you handle long haul flights (I'm assuming you're from across The Ditch!). Paris is big, busy & very expensive. Heading straight to Bordeaux worked well for me (flight recovery, adapt & acclimatise, less expensive, etc) & it made for a shorter hop to StJPdP. I stayed StJPdP one night before starting out For me, it meant arriving to begin the Camino fresher, more relaxed & ready to focus on the extraordinary experience which lay ahead.
Southern Hemisphere pilgrims have a different approach as we've already had a journey before we begin The Journey!
Happy trails! 👣 🌏

Hi Lindsey...you must be so excited!
I flew into Paris from Australia arriving about the same time as you...although in 2012! I caught the train into the city centre, wandered around 'the sights' for a few hours & then boarded another train for Bordeaux where I stayed two nights.
What you do will depend on how interested you are in Paris, if you've been before & how you handle long haul flights (I'm assuming you're from across The Ditch!). Paris is big, busy & very expensive. Heading straight to Bordeaux worked well for me (flight recovery, adapt & acclimatise, less expensive, etc) & it made for a shorter hop to StJPdP. I stayed StJPdP one night before starting out For me, it meant arriving to begin the Camino fresher, more relaxed & ready to focus on the extraordinary experience which lay ahead.
Southern Hemisphere pilgrims have a different approach as we've already had a journey before we begin The Journey!
Happy trails! 👣 🌏
Oops...sorry Lindsey! I've just noticed you're from the USA....it was the Kiwi.com bit that threw me! I understand it can be quite a haul for you flight-wise so my response still applies & may be of assistance. You'll be inundated with replies so should have a wealth of info to sift through & find what will work for you.
Ultreia 👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings,

Thanks! Lindsey
Napoleon route is closed untill April 1rst. March 31 you have to go by Valcarlos the other way

Depending on what time you get into Paris. There is a morning train that will take you to Biarritz and then either the train to SJPP, if it is running or by bus.

Lindsey: My wife and I intend to start walking from SJPDP on March 31, 2019. We will leave open our route. If we feel up for it and can get a room in Orrison, on March 31, we will do the Napolean from Orisson on April 1, otherwise we plan to walk to Roncesvalles, via Valcarlos on March 31. We hope to see you along the way. Greg.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Greg! I've decided to start on April 1 from SJPdP and go to Orrison (if I can get a room) then on to Roncesvalles. Perhaps I will see you along the way!

While April 1st is the first possible day that the Napoleon route will be open, it will only be open weather permitting. I walked in April 2016 and 2018 and the route was not open until mid-April and then closed again due to inclement weather. The pilgrim office will be able to advise you. You do not want to walk unless it is open and then it can be tough in bad weather. In 2016 the wind was so strong you could hardly stand. The Valcarlos route is lovely too, so just continue to stay flexible.

Mid March many moons ago -;) We started from Roncesvalles and we still had to walk on the main road. You should book at Orrison to secure a bed?52398

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Greg! I've decided to start on April 1 from SJPdP and go to Orrison (if I can get a room) then on to Roncesvalles. Perhaps I will see you along the way!
My husband and I also starting frim SJDPon April 1st 2019, Orisson said by reply email to check to see if open couple days before - maybe see you enroute

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back