• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2024 - Sarria to Santiago

Marileep

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago March 2024
Hi All!
We are planning our first Camino for March 2024. Planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago.
Has anyone walked in March before? Any tips? Weather and amount of people?
Thanks so much!
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi All!
We are planning our first Camino for March 2024. Planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago.
Thanks so much!
Buen Camino
I walked the Camino Ingles last March. Had a light rain for about half of the five days of walking, but it was not very cold. Very little people on the Camino Ingles, but Santiago had plenty of pilgrims when I arrived. I imagine a majority of them were on the Frances, so you should have plenty of people around.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All!
Thanks so much!
Buen Camino
The last week of March 2024 will be very busy indeed as it’s Easter week. If I were you I would avoid that week like the plague; especially from Sarria to Santiago.

We walked the Ingles starting in Ferrol a few years ago during Semana Santa arriving in Santiago the Saturday before Easter. Although we had solid rain for 5 days, it was still a great walk. Because it was Semana Santa, there were a number of Spanish pilgrims heading to SdC, but it was anything but crowded. It’s a more interesting Camino that the end of the Francés from Sarria. And, if it is the Compostela that you’re interested in, it qualifies as you walk more than 100 kms. It’s a good walk and one that I hope to walk again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone! Will have to play around with dates as we have limited time.
And will make sure of packing warm and rain stuff!

We walked the last half of the Camino Frances starting in early March last year. It was quite cold. Not a problem when actually walking but so many hotels and restaurants were not heated we found ourselves shivering a lot. Also we were surprised to find many hotels and albergues were not yet open, even after Sarria. Some said they'd open April 1 and others said they'd open at Easter which was April 17 last year. Those things might not be a problem for you. We were trying to walk short days (only 12 to 15 k per day) so needed more places to be open to make that work. Also last year places were just coming out of covid so that might be why so many places weren't open yet. Next year may be very different.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We walked the last part of the Camino Frances starting in early March last year. It was quite cold. Not a problem when actually walking but so many hotels and restaurants were not heated we found ourselves shivering a lot. Also we were surprised to find many hotels and albergues were not yet open, even after Sarria. Some said they'd open April 1 and others said they'd open at Easter which was April 17 last year. Those things might not be a problem for you. We were trying to walk short days (only 12 to 15 k per day) so needed more places to be open to make that work. Also last year places were just coming out of covid so that might be why so many places weren't open yet. Next year may be very different.
Thanks so much. We actually prefer the cooler weather. Also so far due to school holidays etc we might only be able to go from mid March. So that helps a lot!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back