• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP vs Sarria for Newby

Northernwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2024
Hi, solo traveler. First time and only a week to do part of the Camino. Coming from Canada.
I'm considering SJPDP to Pamplona (spending some time in Pamplona at the end) or starting from Sarria. Most likely end May/early June 2024.
Many have advised against starting in Sarria due to crowds (I don't mind crowds).
Has anyone done both and have a reason why some suggest not to do the Sarria route?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you intend to return and walk some more if you do choose SJPDP to Pamplona? If so then that seems a reasonable choice - though with a week to walk I'd go further and aim for somewhere like Estella, Los Arcos or Logroño.

If you think this will be your only Camino then I would aim for the final 100+km from Sarria. Yes it is busy but there are ways of avoiding the worst aspects of that. As you say that you don't mind crowds I can't think of any other reasons to exclude it. A varied route with a lot of interest but it does not have the dramatic hill scenery of the earlier stages.

An alternate suggestion - walk the Camino Inglés, which you can do in less than a week's time. Then you don't have to choose between the start and the finish. 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do you intend to return and walk some more if you do choose SJPDP to Pamplona? If so then that seems a reasonable choice - though with a week to walk I'd go further and aim for somewhere like Estella, Los Arcos or Logroño.

If you think this will be your only Camino then I would aim for the final 100+km from Sarria. Yes it is busy but there are ways of avoiding the worst aspects of that. As you say that you don't mind crowds I can't think of any other reasons to exclude it. A varied route with a lot of interest but it does not have the dramatic hill scenery of the earlier stages.
I do plan on returning, however as with everything we can't predict the future. I chose Pamplona for getting back to Madrid by plane for my return to Canada. Plus I plan on spending a couple of days there to visit, see the town etc. My Camino is not necessarily a rush. I'm just torn between what might provide me the better experience overall (I know, I sound like a tourist, but I truly am on a spiritual quest, perhaps just with touristy elements)

I'm not adverse to Sarria, it just seems like a great experience at the end and throughout meeting so many different pilgrims.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Advice I gave a friend a few weeks ago was to:
1. Know why you are walking - which you seem to have done.
2. Start as far away from SdC as possible.
3. Let things unfold as they may.

Starting in Sarria during tour bus season may be a good way to ruin a hard earned vacation.

Have you considered waiting until you have more time available to do a longer walk? Perhaps lower the carbon footprint.

Hi, solo traveler. First time and only a week to do part of the Camino. Coming from Canada.
I'm considering SJPDP to Pamplona (spending some time in Pamplona at the end) or starting from Sarria. Most likely end May/early June 2024.
Many have advised against starting in Sarria due to crowds (I don't mind crowds).
Has anyone done both and have a reason why some suggest not to do the Sarria route?
SJPDP to Pamplona is a rather short stretch. Last time I did it in two days. If I had to stop in Pamplona it would have been rather disappointing for me. If you walk Sarria to SdC you at least will have the feeling of having accomplished something, finished something.
But then, as others say, if you have just a week, why not walk an altogether different Camino such as the Inglés, as it can be completed as a whole within your timeframe plus it is less crowded :cool:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked from Sarria to Santiago a couple of years ago and am returning to walk the SJPDP to Pamplona stretch this April, as a part of a longer trip.

Since you don't mind crowds, I think walking the last 117 km from Sarria will give you a great experience. I left lodging mid-morning and had very little of the crush of people others describe. I met a lot of people and had lovely conversations. The groups of students were, to my mind, energizing to see (and hear!). There was plenty of quiet time along the route as well.

Of course I can't comment on the SJPDP-Pamplona yet. I'll be breaking it up -- SJPDP, Borda, Roncesvalles, Zubiri to Pamplona.

Starting in St. Jean, you'll start with all the other enthusiastic long distance pilgrims. The town has an amazing atmosphere, in my opinion.

Within your time frame, you could have a very relaxed walk towards Pamplona. If you arrive too quickly to your liking, you can even walk a few days further and then return to Pamplona by bus (there's a local bus line, the "Estellesa").

If you plan to return in the future, you can then just continue from where you stopped.

I have no problems with crowds at all but if I had to choose between the first 100km from St. Jean only, or the last 100 from Sarria, I'd probably pick St. Jean as a starting point.

But anyway, you'll have a great walk, whereever you start 🙂. Enjoy, and Buen Camino!

Hi friend from the Great White North! I did Sarria to Santiago last May-June and it was lovely. I did reserve a couple nights ahead and yes, there were lots of people. But there were also long stretches where it was just me. Don’t let folks here scare you. If you need solitude, you will find it. And if you need companionship, you will find that too!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do plan on returning, however as with everything we can't predict the future. I chose Pamplona for getting back to Madrid by plane for my return to Canada. Plus I plan on spending a couple of days there to visit, see the town etc. My Camino is not necessarily a rush. I'm just torn between what might provide me the better experience overall (I know, I sound like a tourist, but I truly am on a spiritual quest, perhaps just with touristy elements)

I'm not adverse to Sarria, it just seems like a great experience at the end and throughout meeting so many different pilgrims.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
I think I would start at Sarria. It can certainly provide a great experience. Then, if you don't return, you'll still have completed a pilgrimage to Santiago. If you do return, you can start at SJPDP next time. :) Or pick a different route.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back