• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 26th was leaving for Frances...now thinking "Norte"

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I'm posting this here as I think it would be the Frances folks who have done the Norte who can shed some light on this for me. My flight is booked...leaving the US for the Frances on March 26th, with a start walking day of the 28th. I feel VERY comfortable on the Frances, I love meeting people stopping and eating and soaking in all of the history and architecture that the Frances has to offer (I did it last year).

I have shared previously that I also plan on taking three of my oldest children (teens) from Le Puy to Muxia in the fall of 2014. SO that would be three Frances in about 26 months.

Today I got wind of some Norte pictures. I'm a salty dog at heart and harbors bring me more peace than most things. Makes me wonder if the Norte is calling my name for my solo Camino? Today one second I am thinking , "yes, this is it...the Norte!"...then the next the pendullum swings and I feel like the Frances will be soft wonderful place for me to land.

Advice anyone? I'm not afraid of being by myself BUT I sure do love socializing however I don't want that to determine my choice...
My hesitations are I know the Frances is a "slam dunk" for me so the thought of stepping off of it alone needs a little encouraging.
Also I did the Camino in trail shoes not boots...loved that!
Wondering if the Norte would allow such foot wear.

Thanks in advance,
Neve

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Norte is a lovely track with some coastal walking of great beauty. Sometimes it is possible to leave the designated track to follow the E route that hugs the coast. It is less busy than the Frances but there are still lovely folk walking this track. I believe there is a bit more 'up and down' than the Frances, and if there has been rain some parts are muddy but I met folk who walked it in sandals, some in trainers and others in boots. Enjoy whatever you chose. Good walking.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Why not start on the Norte. Walk say to Bilbao. If you like the 'ups and downs' then continue. If not get the train down to Burgos, or wherever, and continue on the Frances.
Regds
Gerard

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Both are great walks.I'd do the Norte. If you don't you may always have it nagging at you.The first 6/7 days are very up and down. Such is the Basque Country. I love the sea myself and nothing beats throwing off the backpack and going for a swim at some random beach.
The pilgrims on the del Norte are a hardier breed as well.You will also get the opportunity to stay at Guimmes-probably the best, and certainly the best intentioned albergue in Spain.

I just walked El Norte this spring, starting virtually the same time as you are planning. I walked the Frances the year before. If you want/need company, El Norte is not for you--over the entire 800+k, I saw about 12 other pilgrims and and that's it. Mind you, you will probably see many more the week of Semana Santa. I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Scenery is incredible--footwear not an issue imo.
Bear in mind that that that some albergues may not be open that early in the year on El Norte, so plan accordingly. For me , it was only a concern for the first week or so and never was a real problem. Buen camino!

This, to me, is a no brainer because I would start at Camino del Norte and switch if any issues. That said, I was in Ages last year (Mid-May) when a fellow pilgrim mentioned he started at Camino del Norte and switched to Frances as the trail was considerably muddy and not well marked. He had walked both, the Norte and Frances more than once.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, that is another issue for sure--way marking on Norte is poor to n0n-existent in places.

I had heard that there was more asphalt walking on the Norte than on the Frances. Any input on that?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back