• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's officially cold now at night. Frances, Los Arcos

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I am outside, at night, wearing my puffy and my beanie. Been in country for 35 days now. Tonight it's cold. First cold night of fall season, I kinda like wearing my puffy and beanie... but when do the hotel operators turn on the heat?

I walked CF February to April 2014.

Many albergues were ice cold.

Buen camino puffy and all.

that sucks, because I don't like wearing my puffy and beanie to bed!
Welcome to the Camino! This is one of those times, when we veterans just say: It is what it is.

Pilgrims have been walking these routes for more than a thousand years, with much less protective clothing than we enjoy today. Perhaps they were made of sterner stuff. Or perhaps this is part of the reason they had short lifespans - whatever!

In my experience, in many places, they will turn on the heat for perhaps one-hour at about 0500 - 0600. If you can ask "if and what time" your particular place of accommodation does this, you can plan accordingly. Try to be thoughtful of your fellow pilgrims.

Other than that, the optimum sleeping solution is to put on the clothes you plan to wear the next day, after you bathe. Wear your fleece layer, and or a puffy if you have it. Also, keeping your head, hands and feet warm is essential to not losing too much body heat.

I always recommend a close-fitting beanie hat, wool socks - the pair you planned to wear as an outer layer in the morning, and a pair of gloves - any gloves. Absent having gloves, an extra pair of socks makes a good field-expedient pair of mittens.

Finally, anyone who starts a Camino in October should carry a proper sleeping bag, or warm down sleeping quilt. DO not rely on the place of accommodation providing a blanket, or at least a blanket you would want to use.

The key concept is to be self-reliant.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked CF February to April 2014.

Many albergues were ice cold.

Buen camino puffy and all.
I walked it around the same time 2014. Lots of rain, snow, sleet, hail and wind except on the Meseta. Cold some days - my hands felt like clubs. No heating but I was warm at night in a cheap Aldi down sleeping bag. Tbe few other pilgrims I struck were commonly cold at night. They made the mistake of putting albergue blankets on top of their sleeping bags thus compressing the loft and rendering them ineffectual. They should be underneath. But they wouldn’t be told.

De Colores

Bogong

I walked it around the same time 2014. Lots of rain, snow, sleet, hail and wind except on the Meseta. Cold some days - my hands felt like clubs. No heating but I was warm at night in a cheap Aldi down sleeping bag. Tbe few other pilgrims I struck were commonly cold at night. They made the mistake of putting albergue blankets on top of their sleeping bags thus compressing the loft and rendering them ineffectual. They should be underneath. But they wouldn’t be told.

De Colores

Bogong

I was warm as well inside my bag.

It was getting in and out of bag that was icy.

Now, have fun out there.

Last edited:
So I am outside, at night, wearing my puffy and my beanie. Been in country for 35 days now. Tonight it's cold. First cold night of fall season, I kinda like wearing my puffy and beanie... but when do the hotel operators turn on the heat?
What is cold? What is the temperature now? I once walked CF and CP through the whole month of October with just a Coleman fleece liner and it was never below 40 F. All of the albergues were warm enough due to absorbing heat during the day. I have worn the puffy to bed a few times in April when temps are in the 30's outside, but no big deal. Albergues were much warmer, even with no heat turned on.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What is cold? What is the temperature now? I once walked CF and CP through the whole month of October with just a Coleman fleece liner and it was never below 40 F. All of the albergues were warm enough due to absorbing heat during the day. I have worn the puffy to bed a few times in April when temps are in the 30's outside, but no big deal. Albergues were much warmer, even with no heat turned on.
Cold enough to wear a puffy and beanie at night outside at a bar (40's f). I've been to this rodeo before... I've just always wondered when and if hotels actually turn on the heat. I don't care if it's dry out... I have layers, but if my shoes are wet, that is different altogether. Someone please cue the Airplane! joke.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back