• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 9 (2022) first time peregrine says ultreya

Moondance

Time of past OR future Camino
First of all I am grateful to this forum and casa Ivar . Thank you so much.
I am cool and excited at the same time . I have been moving towards walking the Camino for over twenty years !
several questions....
I am vaccinated with booster and have cdc vaccination card . I got the J&J with a Pfizer booster , do I need a third shot ?
do I get a covid test at the airport before flying ? I am going Chicago to Barcelona .
can you use adapter and cord for apple I phone or do I need a European adapter and cord ?
is internet on Camino Frances decant in most areas ? I am asking only to monitor two bank deposits that will happen while I am on the Camino. I am not a phone slave and only have one for work.
weather on camino Frances in March- April is typically what ???
Thank you so much for any and all suggestions .
I am just a spiritual being on a physical journey.
moondance

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum. Your Camino has already begun.......starting with a lot of understandable questions!

I won't try to address the Covid/Travel aspects. The rules change often, and are unique to everyone's circumstances. Follow the guidance for your country of origin.

Yes, you can use a euro adapter for your iPhone. Experience teaches that unless you tape it to your existing adapter, you WILL leave it behind one (or more!) nights, so make sure to do that. Also, make sure that you understand your carrier's rules and prices for roaming in Europe, or consider getting a euro SIM card from a shop when you get there.

Cell coverage on the Camino is mostly excellent, I have only found a couple of very short patches where it was a problem. Everywhere you stay will have Wifi.

weatherspark.com will let you explore the climate averages. Take note that the first few days of the Frances have an alpine climate. The middle bit is a continental climate. Galicia, where you finish, is a coastal rain forest. Look at the averages for Pamplona, Burgos, and Santiago....they are all a bit different. In general, expect cool temperatures early, and it WILL rain that time of year. You might encounter frost, so make sure you can, wearing everything in your pack, tolerate freezing temperatures. You are walking a long way over a long time....the weather will change as you pass between regions. A month later, you could well wake up to +5C (40 F), and find yourself in shorts and a T-Shirt by mid day. In general, it's a fair bit warmer than where you live, but it's not a tropical destination. Be prepared for some cool weather.

Buen Camino

can you use adapter and cord for apple I phone or do I need a European adapter and cord ?
You can use your regular charger and cord from home, but need a small European adaptor like this in order to plug your charger into the outlets in Europe. Get it before you leave home, and duct tape it onto your charger so it doesn't come off.
712x9sfL-5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
If you wait until you get to Europe (or when you lose it because you didn't tape it) you will need to buy a charger like this with the European prongs, and you just plug your USB cord into it.
71C7UIrySfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Currently, fully vaccinated travelers from the US don't need to show a negative test. That can always change though, so best to check the Spanish travel requirements.
In addition, Travel Sherpa is a site that the airlines use to determine what is required to enter different countries.

Soooo many questions in a single post! You may have better luck asking each separately, but here are the short answers:

- weather: expect both rain and sun; you are moving from spring to summer in April and the weather will be variable

- you need a two prong Spanish adapter for your iPhone; the same cord will work. You can get them online before you go or at any store in spain

- Cell service varies by carrier - you can use your at-home service (usually an expensive extra charge, depending on your carrier) or buy a Spanish SIM card and service. There are multiple current posts on this topic

- internet is generally available at bars and in some albergues

- if you are vaxed and boosted, you will have no issue entering Spain. Documentation of your status takes place prior to flying (see other posts on this)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your questions have been answered. The only thing I would add is that if you have to monitor banking transactions, remember that virtually everywhere you go you will have wifi. Very, very few albergues do not have wifi and most bars and restaurants have wifi.In albergues as more and more people come into an albergue the speed of your wifi will diminish and often significantly. Remember even though there will almost always be a password for wifi's in bars and albergues there are countless others who have that password also so your connections are far from secure. I always get a Spanish SIm Card. Lately I have been going to Vodafone as their plans now suit me better than Orange's plans and the recharge is really simple. In October I paid 20 Euros for 28 days and it gave me unlimited calls within Spain and something like 50 Gigs of Wifi which was way more than needed. I could call my family whenever I wanted on Whatsapp or Facetime. It also gave me more security when I did have to open my banking app (once) to transfer money. I think it is a really good idea to have a phone to call ahead to albergues to check for opening/closed due to the time of year you are starting and of course covid and also to have the AlertCop app on my phone if needed.

I have tried keep up with information on vaccination entry requirements but as stated above, it changes. My understanding is currently you must have been vaccinated AND/OR boosted within 270 days of travel and these must be at least 12 days prior to travel. You must use the Spain Travel Health app or website prior to departure. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I walked wayyyyy back in 2015 I took my sim card out of my phone and just used WiFi. The phone used to tell once in a while that I didn't have a sim card installed. I agreed with it and it carried on working. WiFI gave me access to my emails and the internet. I didn't and still don't use internet banking so that wasn't an issue.

What I did do when I reached Burgos was install Wassap and used this to message my "Camino family". It was free back then and still is. It was great for meet up arrangements.

For charging I took a block that had 4 USB sockets and a flying power lead. As has been said above, I left the adaptor behind at one albergue but it was easy to find a replacement lead. With the 4 way socket you can "share" sockets with other pilgrims in they're in short supply.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.