• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March Camino

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
Please excuse me if this has been asked, I didn't find the answer in the search function. I have a friend who wants to walk the camino next year but really needs to go in March. He has a couple of weeks and is thinking maybe Leon to Santiago. How will this section be in March? Will there be accommodations? Will there be other pilgrims? Thanks for anything you can tell me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I walked from Astorga to Santiago in late March 2015. As it was before Easter, many albergues were closed but since we wanted a private room we never had any problems finding accommodation. The weather and temperature was wonderful, apparently we were lucky, though the morning was cold in the mountains and there was some snow still on the ground. As for pilgrims there were very few people around until we got to Sarria. We really enjoyed it and are going back to walk the same part of the camino again in March next year!

That time of year is wonderful. Take gloves and warm clothes is all--they're especially needed in the morning. Daytime temperatures can range from very comfortable down to icy, depending on weather and altitude.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I walked Leon to Santiago in March/April this year. Weather was perfect and accommodation easy to find. Can't wait to return in March 2017. Coming from Central Queensland we really appreciated the cooler days

My wife and I walked from SJPDP in March and April and just walked warm and dry. We had no problems find open accommodations. We had much overcast and rain. The first 5 days it snowed. We are doing the Norte next year in late Nov/Dec.

I walked from Leon to Santiago last year in late March. It was wonderful. Make sure to ask if the Albergue has heat. Coming in from a cold rainy day, it feels warm, but at night, it's cold again. You will encounter the same pilgrims through your journey, which is great. Became good friends with a small group. The pilgrim flow changes substantially after Sarria. The time of year will also account for that as many people are making the pilgrimage for Easter. We arrived in Santiago the day after.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If I may also ask, has anyone walked the Portuguese or Primitivo route in early March and what is the condition like ? I have about 2 weeks for the walk and just completed Camino Frances in July this year.

I had wanted to do primitivo but am bringing a friend who may not be able to cope with the up and down hill there. And the weather at primitivo could also be harsh?

Out aim is to do a 'complete' route and finish at SdC.

If it is possible to do within Spain, it would be ideal. Otherwise the Portuguese route would also be ok. Reason is that we are coming from Asia and flying to Porto may take more than 24hours with connecting flights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please excuse me if this has been asked, I didn't find the answer in the search function. I have a friend who wants to walk the camino next year but really needs to go in March. He has a couple of weeks and is thinking maybe Leon to Santiago. How will this section be in March? Will there be accommodations? Will there be other pilgrims? Thanks for anything you can tell me.[/QUOTE

I walked March 2014. There will be pilgrims. At times albergues will be nearly full, others, you may be totally alone. And, be prepared for cold albergues, sometimes hospitaleros don't turn on heat, and slightly longer days as some albergues will be closed. Somehow, miracles and good times still pepper the walk with spicy joy.

My husband and I walked from Astorga to Santiago in late March 2015. As it was before Easter, many albergues were closed but since we wanted a private room we never had any problems finding accommodation. The weather and temperature was wonderful, apparently we were lucky, though the morning was cold in the mountains and there was some snow still on the ground. As for pilgrims there were very few people around until we got to Sarria. We really enjoyed it and are going back to walk the same part of the camino again in March next year!

Hi! Nidarosa,
Your post reassured me and my husband trip, which we intended to walk the Camino
March 20th till 13th of April 2017 for the first time. For the Easter I rather celebrate at home,but we could celebrate abroad,
might have been different atmospheres and different feelings,
haven't thought of that at that time when I booked. Hope! We might get to see each other. I booked at Astorga Coruna hotel night of 21st of March.
Hopefully I won't get lost.
That is my biggest concern. Like everyone said Camino will provide?
Thanks again,
Cathy from Kentucky,US.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Cathy K. - you won't get lost from Astorga, I can practically guarantee it! There are lots of yellow arrows and shells to follow, you soon get used to looking out for them. Bring a guidebook for peace of mind and make sure you take some water and snacks in case some places are closed. Most bars and hotels will be open, but not all albergues so check beforehand. I don't know the Corona Hotel but we will be starting one day ahead of you and go home again April 4th. Fingers crossed the weather will be as good as it was last time and that you both have a wonderful time.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Cathy K. - you won't get lost from Astorga, I can practically guarantee it! There are lots of yellow arrows and shells to follow, you soon get used to looking out for them. Bring a guidebook for peace of mind and make sure you take some water and snacks in case some places are closed. Most bars and hotels will be open, but not all albergues so check beforehand. I don't know the Corona Hotel but we will be starting one day ahead of you and go home again April 4th. Fingers crossed the weather will be as good as it was last time and that you both have a wonderful time.

I bought John Brierley'guide book, went through my stages for accommodations,
which is very helpful, also got updated places for open for that time of season.
Since I read your post, I am more confident than before so is my husband.
Preparing is part of the fun, now season has been changed reality sets in like
Veteran member Viranani suggested to take warmer clothes,so I am changing my gear, cargo pants to winter pants, feel like I am prepping too long?
We will have great time.
Buen Camino.
From CathyK

@Cathy K. Always glad to calm pilgrim nerves before setting out for a long walk! Preparing is indeed half the fun and helps fill the time until you leave, so prepare away. Remember that no guidebook can dictate your stages, look at the elevations too and make sure you don't try to overdo it and risk injury. Our longest day in March will be 26 kms, shortest 12 kms the day we walk up to O Cebreiro. Not just because it is steep but because it is breathtakingly beautiful so we want to really enjoy it!
As for clothing, this is what I wore in March/April 2015: https://somewhereslowly.com/2015/06/14/honeymoon-camino/
The only time I felt the cold was on the evening in Melide when my walking gear and fleece were in the wash and I wore everything else but was still cold. We had hats and gloves and polar/merino buffs and just keeping your head, neck and hands warm makes a huge difference. Remember walking warms you up though, layering is the way to go.

And yes, you will have a great time!

@Cathy K. Always glad to calm pilgrim nerves before setting out for a long walk! Preparing is indeed half the fun and helps fill the time until you leave, so prepare away. Remember that no guidebook can dictate your stages, look at the elevations too and make sure you don't try to overdo it and risk injury. Our longest day in March will be 26 kms, shortest 12 kms the day we walk up to O Cebreiro. Not just because it is steep but because it is breathtakingly beautiful so we want to really enjoy it!
As for clothing, this is what I wore in March/April 2015: https://somewhereslowly.com/2015/06/14/honeymoon-camino/
The only time I felt the cold was on the evening in Melide when my walking gear and fleece were in the wash and I wore everything else but was still cold. We had hats and gloves and polar/merino buffs and just keeping your head, neck and hands warm makes a huge difference. Remember walking warms you up though, layering is the way to go.

Thanks again,
It is getting more exciting, since I saw your.com site which I saved in iBooks.
Prep. is more like my tasting. We live in cold climate, so I know what to wear and keep us warm.
We will be walking average of 15-20km/day some days might be less.
Buen Camino again!
CathyK.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Love O Cebreiro -- great place to spend some time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back