• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 24th is approaching too fast

Mary_Atherton

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2016)
I've trained, I've gotten geared up, I've studied, and I've read the forums......a lot. I arrive in Spain on May 24th and will start walking the Camino Frances on May 27th. I said I was just going to let go and let the Camino happen however it's supposed to happen. But I find myself just a little bit anxious. My pack is holding at 11.8 pounds (5.3 kg). My Spanish has not improved that much since I began study in October, but I think I can get by okay or at least I hope so. I am so ready to begin this wonderful journey. One would think that at this point all of my anxiety would have fallen by the wayside. I think the stuff about getting from Madrid to SJPP is the most bothersome to me. Because there are so many different ways to get there (believe me, I have looked at them all) it is mind boggling to me. I have a plan, a route, and do know if Plan A does not work out for some reason there is always Plan B or maybe even Plan C which is just to figure out any changes as I move along. The thoughts and knowledge here on the forums have been so helpful and I have to remember that I don't travel alone or even with just my sister who I'm walking with, but a whole community of those who have gone before me. A big heartfelt thanks to everyone who was patient with my questions and those who pointed me in a direction I might not have otherwise known about. Again a big thank you to the Camino de Santiago Forum.
Buen Camino
Mary

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bon Voyage and Buen Camino Mary! The final days and weeks are often the time when the worry and anxiety set in. This is totally normal - and most of us have been there. It will all become much simpler when you arrive in Spain.

I've trained, I've gotten geared up, I've studied, and I've read the forums......a lot. I arrive in Spain on May 24th and will start walking the Camino Frances on May 27th. I said I was just going to let go and let the Camino happen however it's supposed to happen. But I find myself just a little bit anxious. My pack is holding at 11.8 pounds (5.3 kg). My Spanish has not improved that much since I began study in October, but I think I can get by okay or at least I hope so. I am so ready to begin this wonderful journey. One would think that at this point all of my anxiety would have fallen by the wayside. I think the stuff about getting from Madrid to SJPP is the most bothersome to me. Because there are so many different ways to get there (believe me, I have looked at them all) it is mind boggling to me. I have a plan, a route, and do know if Plan A does not work out for some reason there is always Plan B or maybe even Plan C which is just to figure out any changes as I move along. The thoughts and knowledge here on the forums have been so helpful and I have to remember that I don't travel alone or even with just my sister who I'm walking with, but a whole community of those who have gone before me. A big heartfelt thanks to everyone who was patient with my questions and those who pointed me in a direction I might not have otherwise known about. Again a big thank you to the Camino de Santiago Forum.
Buen Camino
Mary
Being nervous is normal Mary , but after you take the first steps off your journey that will go away.
I wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bon Voyage and Buen Camino Mary! The final days and weeks are often the time when the worry and anxiety set in. This is totally normal - and most of us have been there. It will all become much simpler when you arrive in Spain.
Thank you so much. I do hope it will be much simpler upon arriving in Spain. Your words mean a lot to me. Just hearing someone else say it will be much simpler is good.

Yes, once you get there, it will be fine. I think most people are anxious about going. We anticipate it for so long that when it actually gets here, its sort of like - wait, what? Now I am actually GOING? I started questioning everything. Would I be able to walk that far, would I be able to find a place to stay each night, did I pack the right stuff? The answer was yes, but if you didn't pack the right stuff, you can buy things along the way, and if you can't walk that far, you can bus part of it, and there will always be a place to stay - even if the albergues are full, there are hostels, casa rurales, hotels... You'll find a place.

We are getting ready to go for the 2nd attempt (had to leave early last time due to an emergency at home) and one of the things I was thinking about in anticipation of this trip is that I don't have that same anxiety and nervousness about the Camino as I had the first time around. I have replaced it with other anxiety though, of course - all the stuff I have to get done before I leave, anxiety about what if something happens to someone else I love while I am gone, and so on. Again though, I know that once I get there, it will be fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, once you get there, it will be fine. I think most people are anxious about going. We anticipate it for so long that when it actually gets here, its sort of like - wait, what? Now I am actually GOING? I started questioning everything. Would I be able to walk that far, would I be able to find a place to stay each night, did I pack the right stuff? The answer was yes, but if you didn't pack the right stuff, you can buy things along the way, and if you can't walk that far, you can bus part of it, and there will always be a place to stay - even if the albergues are full, there are hostels, casa rurales, hotels... You'll find a place.

We are getting ready to go for the 2nd attempt (had to leave early last time due to an emergency at home) and one of the things I was thinking about in anticipation of this trip is that I don't have that same anxiety and nervousness about the Camino as I had the first time around. I have replaced it with other anxiety though, of course - all the stuff I have to get done before I leave, anxiety about what if something happens to someone else I love while I am gone, and so on. Again though, I know that once I get there, it will be fine.
Thanks for your thoughtful response to my comments. I feel prepared and yes so thankful for everyone's comments and responses. I do have a bit of that "now, I am actually going" feeling/anxiety right now. In my heart I know it will all be good, but dang those anxious feelings just creep in there from time to time. Laughing.

I could say "ditto" to everything you posted Mary (except I will be going by myself) but I, too, thought the closer it got the less anxiety and certainly not any fear would be hanging around. Not so. I have nearly drove myself crazy this past week and a half. There is just this certain part of me that will not "settle down"!! Sorta like a bad two year old! :p
Good thing I have learned not to talk endlessly about it unless asked, or I would be driving everyone else around me bonkers. Of course now that I am leaving Sunday lots of people are asking about it, so I am talking more with them on the topic.
I am also extremely grateful for all the help. I can tell you I highly doubt this would even be happening for me without this forum. It's interesting when something is so intimidating and the thought of it is so overwhelming but yet when others do it and then turn around and offer encouragement to those of us who haven't done it - it makes the "thing" that seemed SO impossible...quite possible!!
I have loved going on my hikes and when people stop me and ask me what I am training for and I tell them - I always throw a story or two of different experiences from some of the people on this forum to let them know people from all over do this walk, but my FAVORITE one to share is Movin' Maggie's ....walking into Santiago on her 80th birthday. I never get tired of seeing people's faces when I share that one!!
Hah! Epic.
Buen Camino Mary...I'll be ahead of you by a few days - I'll let you know how "the road is up ahead!" hahaha

Mary, I, too will begin walking the Camino on May 27th with four great friends. We all have our worries and also faith that everything will turn out okay. I hear 'the Camino provides...' I and believe that will be the case for my group and for yours. See you along The Way.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I could say "ditto" to everything you posted Mary (except I will be going by myself) but I, too, thought the closer it got the less anxiety and certainly not any fear would be hanging around. Not so. I have nearly drove myself crazy this past week and a half. There is just this certain part of me that will not "settle down"!! Sorta like a bad two year old! :p
Good thing I have learned not to talk endlessly about it unless asked, or I would be driving everyone else around me bonkers. Of course now that I am leaving Sunday lots of people are asking about it, so I am talking more with them on the topic.
I am also extremely grateful for all the help. I can tell you I highly doubt this would even be happening for me without this forum. It's interesting when something is so intimidating and the thought of it is so overwhelming but yet when others do it and then turn around and offer encouragement to those of us who haven't done it - it makes the "thing" that seemed SO impossible...quite possible!!
I have loved going on my hikes and when people stop me and ask me what I am training for and I tell them - I always throw a story or two of different experiences from some of the people on this forum to let them know people from all over do this walk, but my FAVORITE one to share is Movin' Maggie's ....walking into Santiago on her 80th birthday. I never get tired of seeing people's faces when I share that one!!
Hah! Epic.
Buen Camino Mary...I'll be ahead of you by a few days - I'll let you know how "the road is up ahead!" hahaha
I so loved reading your post. It's so good to know that someone is up ahead and that folks will be with me. I carry many folks in my heart as I prepare to start the journey. I also have tried to quit talking to everyone about the journey, but I'm finding as the time approaches I'm starting to get questions again. Yes Movin' Maggie's story is one of my faves. I'll continue to look for your post along the way.
Buen Camino

Mary, I, too will begin walking the Camino on May 27th with four great friends. We all have our worries and also faith that everything will turn out okay. I hear 'the Camino provides...' I and believe that will be the case for my group and for yours. See you along The Way.

Buen Camino!
Jeannie, That is awesome that we will be making the journey at the same time. I'm sure the Camino will provide us with what we need. Be it assistance, help with health, or just the joy of meeting new folks. Yes we will see you along the way.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.