• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria too busy?

Elliemellen

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022 and May 2024
Hello! I walked from Vigo to Santiago in 2022. I really enjoyed all of the different scenery and the time I could spend in contemplation. I have convinced my husband to take time off of work and we are planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago end of May into June 2024. I have been reading about how busy this way is and worried about my expectations. Any suggestions? Should we pick another way? Open to ideas. Thanks so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! I walked from Vigo to Santiago in 2022. I really enjoyed all of the different scenery and the time I could spend in contemplation. I have convinced my husband to take time off of work and we are planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago end of May into June 2024. I have been reading about how busy this way is and worried about my expectations. Any suggestions? Should we pick another way? Open to ideas. Thanks so much!
I'm not an expert, but don't think those are the busiest months for that section. You could also aim to start mid-week as obviously weekends will be busiest when most people start from there. Even if it is busy in Sarria it will thin out a bit, and you could look up the quieter places to stay.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For a similar length camino, you could consider the Camino Inglés from either Ferrol or A Coruña. A Coruña is the nicer of the two cities but the route from there is not long enough to qualify you for a Compostela, whereas the route from Ferrol is long enough. The Inglés is becoming more popular but still less so than the Francés from Sarria.

I walked it in June 2023 and also over the holiday Dec/Jan week a few weeks ago. It was very busy in June as far as numbers leaving Sarria in the morning. Shoulder to shoulder and hundreds of folks, but we are slow walkers and that crowd thinned out quickly after the morning rush. We took 7 days and never had trouble finding accommodation or places to stop for coffee or snacks. In that respect, it is the most well-serviced part of the CF. It was also beautiful with flowers (the most different colors of hydrangeas I have ever seen!) If you are looking for solitude you won't really find it this time of year, but it is still a wonderful stretch. Don't miss some of the highlights (Pembre Castle, Vilar de Donas church, the castro at Castromaior)

In Dec/January it was extremely quiet, but very little open as far as between our stages. Plenty of beds to accommodate the lower numbers and always someplace to eat in the evening or late afternoon (although not the selection as in the warmer seasons). We did meet pilgrims, but it was easier to get to know people since there were lots fewer people. Still very green and crazy enough some flowers still blooming, (but not hydrangeas).

Last edited:
Before my CF in 2022, I dreaded getting to Sarria based on all the stories I'd heard about crowds, and I have to admit those fears were not assauged on the way into town when I encountered the first of (many, many) school groups wandering the streets. (My calendar tells me that I arrived in Sarria on June 7, so around the same time you're thinking of being there.)

But Sarria ended up being one of my favorite stops on my entire walk, mainly because of two memorable meals (at Matias Locanda and at a vegetarian café near Peregrinoteca that I can't seem to locate on Google Maps anymore) and an absolutely fantastic stay at La Casona de Sarria, which I can't recommend highly enough. And some of the folks who started their walk in Sarria became my closest companions en route to Santiago and remain good friends to this day.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and if you're looking for absolute peace and quiet maybe walking another five day stretch would be a better option. But I wouldn't rule out the Sarria to Santiago route just because of the things you've heard about it (including my own report.) Like the Meseta — another stretch of the Camino that some recommend avoiding for whatever reason (and another part that I loved), I think It's worth experiencing firsthand yourself.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I had a nice quiet walk from Melide to Santiago (the busiest stretch of that last 100 km as the pilgrims who have walked the Frances are joined by those that have walked the Primitvo) last summer. Lots of time in solitude, most of the rest with only one or two pilgrims in sight, very few crowds. I managed this by staying "off-stage", in Salceda and Lavacolla instead of Arzua and O Pedrouzo. This section doesn't have to be busy.

Hello - I walked Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and finally Finisterre during september 2023.
I was quite dissapointed and after Sarria, as I found it very crowded and a bit difficult to get accomodation.
Had to book a day or two prior to next arrival. But I am very glad that I did not stop. (I was thinking about it) I will do the same Camino this year at the same time as I liked it very much. So as long as you now what you will meet it is no problem. Just do it !!!I will do Porto - Santiago in April/ May

the section you refer to is I believe the busiest section of the whole CF. Some nerd ( sorry folks) will arrive shortly with % for you but if you wanted a week of peace and quiet contemplation, IMHO you might be better thinking of another route
I'll bite. Just under 30,000 recorded as having walked the Camino Frances in the Compostela figures for June last year. All of those will have walked at least the final 100km. So on average about 1,000 people per day on each of those final stages. If you let the breakfast time rush get well ahead and set off a little later then it may not seem quite so busy. Booking a bed in advance may be your best bet in that case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A group of us on What's App in late September were trading pics of the Camino Frances between Melide and Santiago over a couple of days.

The people trying to stay in municipal albergues, either on or off stage, saw and took pictures of crowds ( defined as multiple groups on the Camino path) in the early morning thru about 1300.

The people who walked more slowly (me) and those who left later in the morning saw some people, but no groups, and frequently saw no one along the same sections of path. The " crowds" were at the cafés and albergues.

My advice is have reservations for a place off stage, made the night before, and take your time.

Buen Camino.

The people who walked more slowly (me) and those who left later in the morning saw some people,
Like @David Tallan I joined the Francés from the Primitivo at Melide last year in late June. The group that I was walking with had been starting between 7:00 and 7:30 each morning, which apparently was much later in the morning than those who had been on the Francés - when we woke up to leave at our usual 7:00 am all of the other pilgrims were long gone. We walked for at least an hour and the only other pilgrims that we saw until we reached a village/bar was a couple that also had been on the Primitivo.

The last 2 years, have stayed in Barbadelo which is about 3km outside of Sarria. When you leave here at 06:30, it is peaceful and quiet and you won't see any crowds til about lunch time and then they have thinned out a bit anyway. Leaving Portomarine, there seemed to be a huge crowd leaving at around 06:30, but again, it thinned out. As a slow walker, the only times it felt crowded was the last day, walking into Santiago from O Pedrouzo, but we kept stopping at every cafe to prolong the day.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My only Camino was 2023, end of May and into early June on the route you mention. I didn’t find it “crowded” at all, and had plenty of time for quiet contemplation. Perhaps it’s relative for those who have experienced other Camino routes. I say, go for it as planned. We generally didn’t start walking until 9a so that May in part how we avoided the others who preferred to start much earlier.

I am 78 and a slow walker and walked from Sarris in late September early October last year. Not the busiest time but still a good number of pilgrims. Regardless, I would recommend that you stick with your plan. I spent ten days, two days in Sarria for jet lag and touring and then eight nights on the trail. A wonderful route, lots of support, pretty landscapes and towns, good infrastructure and great food. It’s a great section of the Camino and recommend it highly, giving it 4.5 clams on the coveted Five Quahog Rating Scale. If you want to see a series of videos on my Camino look for my vlogs “buddhastirsmycoffee” on YouTube.

Ribadeo on Camino del Norte to Compsotela. Long enough to get certificate and beautiful walk with few people. Joins the Frances for the last b1-2 days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ive walked the CF from (late September-Oct.) SJPDP to Burgos and Sarria to Santiago (March 2023). Sarria to Santiago: disappointed- scenery drab, most towns not charming, weather horrible that time of year: never again: you asked for opinions….

The Camino Finisterre would be a great alternative.

What about starting from Ourense on the Via de la Plata? (I have not walked this.)

I seem to remember predictions that this would eventually become the "new Sarria" after a High Speed Rail stop opened in that town. Did that ever happen?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I seem to remember predictions that this would eventually become the "new Sarria" after a High Speed Rail stop opened in that town. Did that ever happen?
Seems not. Very little change over the past 10 years. Last year the pilgrim office recorded 3,683 pilgrims as beginning in Ourense. Ten years earlier it was 3,222 even though the grand total for 2013 was only half that for last year.

I hit that section roughly mid-June in 22. Yes it definitely was more crowded then anything i've experienced prior, but....
  • I did stay off-stage in most places (starting with afore-mentioned Barbadello; Casa Barbadello and loved it)
  • I did get out at 6:30 so I think I was actually moving pre-crowds (most of those are school kids and I think they dont start to stir before their breakfast is done around 7:00AM)
  • I agree with folks that say mid-May may be a better time to avoid most crowds on this section
ultimately it will still be "whatever is happening when you are walking" - you may hit some crazy "wave" if you will but then you just might get lucky and have a relatively peaceful walk.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

It's the dilemma of the Frances. We all want the community, but not not the crowd. Timing (start from Sarria on a weekday), strategy (stay in "off stage" towns), and luck (there are high and low tides all along the Frances, all the time) are important elements in avoiding a crowd from Sarria. Lots of people (myself included) have had great caminos from Sarria. IMO it just takes paying a little more attention to the above. We encountered the conga line walking out of Sarria on a Saturday morning in July. Jumped ahead 1/2 stage and had it to ourselves.

If getting a compostela is not important, walking a week long section of the Meseta was my best experience. Small towns with services that weren't overloaded. No school groups or bus groups. The suggestions for other short caminos are also good alternatives. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hit that section roughly mid-June in 22. Yes it definitely was more crowded then anything i've experienced prior, but....
  • I did stay off-stage in most places (starting with afore-mentioned Barbadello; Casa Barbadello and loved it)
  • I did get out at 6:30 so I think I was actually moving pre-crowds (most of those are school kids and I think they dont start to stir before their breakfast is done around 7:00AM)
  • I agree with folks that say mid-May may be a better time to avoid most crowds on this section
ultimately it will still be "whatever is happening when you are walking" - you may hit some crazy "wave" if you will but then you just might get lucky and have a relatively peaceful walk.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Off stage is the key!👏🇳🇿😎

Hi Ellie, I did this stretch with my hubby around the same time a few years ago. I had done it solo, & a few other sections too, but I thought this would be a good one for him. Maybe we were 'lucky'?, but I don't remember it being overly busy. It is the CF after all; the most popular route; so there will be 'crowds' sometime. I guess it depends what you're looking for, & we did get some 'solitude' time, believe it or not. Anyways, he did enjoy it! Finisterre is my favourite section. I've done it 3 times (2x solo), & hubby & I are heading back there in the summer. It's another section to maybe consider? Hope you both enjoy the 'journey'. Bon Camino 👣😇👣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Before my CF in 2022, I dreaded getting to Sarria based on all the stories I'd heard about crowds, and I have to admit those fears were not assauged on the way into town when I encountered the first of (many, many) school groups wandering the streets. (My calendar tells me that I arrived in Sarria on June 7, so around the same time you're thinking of being there.)

But Sarria ended up being one of my favorite stops on my entire walk, mainly because of two memorable meals (at Matias Locanda and at a vegetarian café near Peregrinoteca that I can't seem to locate on Google Maps anymore) and an absolutely fantastic stay at La Casona de Sarria, which I can't recommend highly enough. And some of the folks who started their walk in Sarria became my closest companions en route to Santiago and remain good friends to this day.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and if you're looking for absolute peace and quiet maybe walking another five day stretch would be a better option. But I wouldn't rule out the Sarria to Santiago route just because of the things you've heard about it (including my own report.) Like the Meseta — another stretch of the Camino that some recommend avoiding for whatever reason (and another part that I loved), I think It's worth experiencing firsthand yourself.
Thank you so much!

Mindset plays a big part here. What do you want from it? I led a group on this section in late September/early October and myself and my co-leader where the only ones who had walked it before. Yes it was busier but the crods thinned out as the day went on and at all stages we looked for the joy and the beauty and found it. The weather was very hot so we paced ourselves and the feedback from my group was amazing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back