• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 4/5 Souraide/Espelette

Perambulating Griffin

Time of past OR future Camino
Is there a festival happening?
Accommodations are limited (the one albergue listed on Gronze seems to have a terrible rating and does not show up on Booking; their website delivers a "this page my be imitating the URL address. You should close this window" message), and what I can seem to book into requires 2 nights...
Any advice?
With thanks
PG

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is during the week after Ascension, the harvest fete is not until the autumn. It is not a very large town.

Last edited:
That is during the week after Easter, the harvest fete is not until the autumn. It is not a very large town.
Mmmm. Easter is early this year... March 29-April 1. Is it perhaps Ascension? [edit: Nope: Ascension is May 9].
Regardless, does this mean I cannot walk the Baztan? One way or another I need to get from Bordeaux May 3 (leaving on a train heading at least for Bayonne, but maybe as far as St. Jean) to Logrono by May 12 as I have a firm date in Manresa May 14 and have to transit there. If I can't sleep in Souraide (general area), maybe I just have to take the French route again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your dates are in a weekend plus in between 1st of May and then 8th with Victoire de 1945 and the 9th with Ascension.
Perfect for a longer holiday without having to take up too many extra days.

Last edited:
It would be a shame to miss the Baztan. Have you looked on Airbnb?

PS A quick Airbnb search brought up a one bed apartment near Souraide for 55 euros for the night of 4 May.

And also ‘A Room with Andy’ in Espelette for 74 euros - which is I think is the one you mentioned from Gronze. I recall others on the forum have stayed there - with good and not so good’reports. But it looks like it can be booked for one night on Airbnb.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alas, I do not use AirBnB. I suppose it must be the Francess as I really do not want to sleep in a field.
If you are truly reluctant to walk the Frances to Pamplona, you could see if you can 'stage' the Baztan differently.

For example, the walk from Bayonne to Ustaritz is an easy, flat 14 kms - that can be done in an afternoon and have Night 1 there - so that the second night you would be beyond Souraide / Espelette.

All the best.

Accommodations are limited (the one albergue listed on Gronze seems to have a terrible rating and does not show up on Booking; their website delivers a "this page my be imitating the URL address. You should close this window" message), and what I can seem to book into requires 2 nights...
Any advice?
With thanks
PG
Are you talking about this place (I looked on Gronze and this is the only lower priced GIte that I saw):
I saw what the reviews look like and you are right they don't look great. I read the reviews on Gronze and leave reviews on Gronze. There was just a post recently discussing reviews, especially negative ones. on Gronze. I saw that the biggest complaint/worry was about cleanliness. Always a red flag. There are some pilgrims who feel entitled and that was the focus of the discussion about Gronze reviews. There were two that complained about the dirt and one neutral review and another review that I believe was about someone making noise. I would say based on looking at reviews and staying in 100's of albergues and gites, that this place is not ideal but it is a bed, shower, and breakfast. And of course the reminder that we pilgrims should always be thankful. I went to Bookings and translated lots of reviews and all were positive and none mentioned the lack of cleanliness. I would not change my camino based on this one problematic gite. Sometimes some of the most trying situations can also yield some of the best memories of a camino.

If you are truly reluctant to walk the Frances to Pamplona, you could see if you can 'stage' the Baztan differently.

For example, the walk from Bayonne to Ustaritz is an easy, flat 14 kms - that can be done in an afternoon and have Night 1 there - so that the second night you would be beyond Souraide / Espelette.

All the best.
Thanks! I will give it a ponder... I like the idea of different staging if it's a feasible possibility. I know you have loads of experience out there. I'm merely worried that every town will be filled up (legitimately -- not complaining -- people have every right to travel home for holidays) with folks back from cities for the days between to 4th and 10th (which is most of my walk).
I do not dislike the Frances; I'm just looking to test out some ideas about lesser travelled routes and the local traditions (heritage of hospitality -- per recent state declaration) fostered by pilgrimage.
I will not suffer if I go the Frances way... I just won't see what I wish to check out...
Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you talking about this place (I looked on Gronze and this is the only lower priced GIte that I saw):
I saw what the reviews look like and you are right they don't look great. I read the reviews on Gronze and leave reviews on Gronze. There was just a post recently discussing reviews, especially negative ones. on Gronze. I saw that the biggest complaint/worry was about cleanliness. Always a red flag. There are some pilgrims who feel entitled and that was the focus of the discussion about Gronze reviews. There were two that complained about the dirt and one neutral review and another review that I believe was about someone making noise. I would say based on looking at reviews and staying in 100's of albergues and gites, that this place is not ideal but it is a bed, shower, and breakfast. And of course the reminder that we pilgrims should always be thankful. I went to Bookings and translated lots of reviews and all were positive and none mentioned the lack of cleanliness. I would not change my camino based on this one problematic gite. Sometimes some of the most trying situations can also yield some of the best memories of a camino.
It's not the reviews that trouble me. It's that I cannot access their site at all (see the error message I cited) and so don't know that it will be open at all. I've stayed twice in a very questionable albergue in Foncebadon (fore hazard... bed-bugs... filthy...) and been grateful for it -- though I hear there are more options so if I'm ever there again, I might upgrade my experience...
So it's really not the reviews -- I use them only in order not to be surprised.
Normally I don't worry much but I'm uncertain about how many options I have on the Baztan...

Any advice?
With thanks
PG
I got it! I checked Booking.com and those dates are not available. If they were there would be prices under the date you choose. Here is a screenshot from Bookings. Maybe you should try to write to the Gite. Their email and whatsapp. Write in your language of course and a translation. There may be a room because Bookings doesn't always have all the rooms available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 9.04.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 9.04.08 AM.png
    630.5 KB · Views: 1
When we walked the Baztan we splurged in Espelette and stayed at Hotel Euzkadi - very nice and we had an excellent dinner. Booking tells me that there is a room available for the night of 4 May and can be booked for 1 night but it is 88 euros Two out of the three following nights we stayed in Albergues which were very inexpensive so it all evened out.

Anyhoo as you have been looking on the booking site perhaps you have seen this and discounted it as an option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When we walked the Baztan we splurged in Espelette and stayed at Hotel Euzkadi - very nice and we had an excellent dinner. Booking tells me that there is a room available for the night of 4 May and can be booked for 1 night but it is 88 euros Two out of the three following nights we stayed in Albergues which were very inexpensive so it all evened out.

Anyhoo as you have been looking on the booking site perhaps you have seen and discounted it as an option.
Yes -- thanks... I am really trying to find things that are less aimed at tourists (like those not walking)...
I think I have a new possible way set, thanks in part to your advice, and in part to looking around at websites where others have listed their 'off piste' stages.
I have written to a wee gite in Ustaritz and if they have room for me then I think my stopping points will go something like:
Ustaritz -- Urdax -- Berroeta -- Olague -- Pamplona.
I will win a day, meaning that once I get to Logrono it will be easier for me to get down to Monserrat via direct transit to Manresa and then a day to walk to Monserrat to meet my person there.
Thanks so much for the lead on an alternate first day.

Delighted to report that I was able to write to the woman who runs the small albergue in Ustaritz, received a swift reply, and have secured myself a place...
Now my only struggle is that I *cannot* get Renfe to process my payment all the way through to completion for the train out of Logrono to Manresa. I've had this trouble before... Maybe I will just try to wing it by walking into the train station in Pamplona to buy a ticket in person a few days ahead of time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @NualaOC Thank you for the link. We enjoyed every step of the Baztan following the 'usual' path - in spite of plenty of rain and some flooding - but this looks like an interesting alternative - and a good reason to go back and walk the Baztan again.

Last edited by a moderator:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.