• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Path flooded after Ustaritz on way to Espelette / Souraide

• Thread starter Former member 104756
  • Start date
F

Former member 104756

For anyone starting the Baztan right now. Yesterday we set out to walk Day 1 from Bayonne to Espelette. About 5 kms after Ustaritz the path (and wider area) was impassable due to flooding - video and photo attached.

After many hours trying to find an alternative path, with the same result, and getting even further away from our destination, we were lucky enough to come across a lovely young woman Maia who drove us to Espelette. She told us that very heavy rains in the valley in the previous week had caused the inundation. She assured us that there was no path we could have taken to get through, which somehow made us feel better.

I can’t offer any information on how quickly thé water will recede - still raining off and on. Google tells me there is a bus between Ustaritz and Espelette that runs a few times a day. Or you could walk on the road from Ustaritz but I wouldn’t recommend.

In hindsight the best choice for us would have been to retrace the 5 kms or so back to Ustaritz and take transport from there. But then it wouldn’t have been such an adventure and we wouldn’t have met our Camino Angel, Maia. 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_2115.MOV
    19.5 MB
  • EE535C41-3ECA-4E0E-9279-9BEDF306A192.jpeg
    EE535C41-3ECA-4E0E-9279-9BEDF306A192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 317
Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For anyone starting the Baztan right now. Yesterday we set out to walk Day 1 from Bayonne to Espelette. About 5 kms after Ustaritz the path (and wider area) was impassable due to flooding - video and photo attached.

After many hours trying to find an alternative path, with the same result, and getting even further away from our destination, we were lucky enough to come across a lovely young woman Maia who drove us to Espelette. She told us that very heavy rains in the valley in the previous week had caused the inundation. She assured us that there was no path we could have taken to get through, which somehow made us feel better.

I can’t offer any information on how quickly thé water will recede - still raining off and on. Google tells me there is a bus between Ustaritz and Espelette that runs a few times a day. Or you could walk on the road from Ustaritz but I wouldn’t recommend.

In hindsight the best choice for us would have been to retrace the 5 kms or so back to Ustaritz and take transport from there. But then it wouldn’t have been such an adventure and we wouldn’t have met our Camino Angel, Maia. 🙏
Walked the Baztan 26 -30 Apr. A wonderful remote walk. Fine Wx, but solid mist/fog over Belate. Please don’t tell anyone else how good it is and we can keep it to ourselves!!! Cooee

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hear ya @Geoff Shepherd - though the secret is out with those who came before us. But can we apply that to a few other routes as well 😎

Tonight after a shorter and less dramatic day we are in Urdax Monastery 🙏
Urdax - an absolute gem. As was Berotta and Olague albergues - we had them to ourselves - only met 2 others in 5 days. Hard to leave. Heads-up, a big climb in the morning. Enjoy. Cooee

Urdax - an absolute gem. As was Berotta and Olague albergues - we had them to ourselves - only met 2 others in 5 days. Hard to leave. Heads-up, a big climb in the morning. Enjoy. Cooee
yep. That’s why we decided to have a short day yesterday to Urdax and tackle the climb this morning. Loved staying in the monastery. We are the only two here - one Spanish pilgrim yesterday. Heading off now. 😎

Holy cow, I hope I don't find myself somewhere in those pictures tomorrow...! Thanks for the heads-up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.