• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May or October

Unleash Your Joy!

Time of past OR future Camino
Will be starting my first Camino Aug 29, 2013
I will be walking from Granon to Leon with friends of mine in 2018. Do you think it is better to go the first of May or the first of October through this part of the Mesetta? And, why? Thanks for your input! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am from the midwestern US, so I appreciate vast expanses of fields of grain. I would always choose spring over fall on the meseta -- the shockingly bright emerald green grain waving in the wind, with those huge bursts of bright red poppies interspersed, and wide open blue (hopefully) skies is just unsurpassable.

I walked the Camino Catalan from Montserrat a few years ago, and it was early June and the fields were all brown. Huge expanses of brown fields. I have to admit it took a toll on my spirits.

I love the spring colours, flowers in profusion, the sweet clean smell of rain soaked fresh earth, and the shimmering sea of green wheat. But I also love the cloudless dry deep blue autumn skies, the figs, blackberries, walnuts, and grapes along the path, and never having to take my Altus out of my pack.

Grañon to Leòn is mostly meseta, and for that section I would marginally prefer the spring. But both are good!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello , since I was young :D I'm doing the longer walkes in April/May.
The reason is that I love the spring colors and the temperature is mild .

But every season has his own charm .

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

I will be walking from Granon to Leon with friends of mine in 2018. Do you think it is better to go the first of May or the first of October through this part of the Mesetta? And, why? Thanks for your input! :)
I have walked in April, and I have walked in October.

April, it was quite rainy. Every year is different however. May probably sees less rain.

I have just walked from Granon, and this is a drought year. Nothing but beautiful blue skies and sunshine. Orange, yellow, and brown leaves skitter throughout the villages.

I might choose to work in Spring, because it’s sooner! Either journey will be wonderful.

Last edited:
I walked Meseta around mid of October this year. It was quite chill (once the temperature was around 14 degrees) and a bit rainy but even in this conditions I still recommend it. Not many people there (quite a lot just skipped these stages and took bus from Burgos to Leon).

In autumn I believe the landscapes are less spectacular, because everything is brown, fields are harvested so I guess May is better (as far as landscapes are considered), but don't get me wrong - I enjoyed time there very much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

May is often a stunningly, beautiful and glorious time for that stretch. However, who knows what the weather will bring next year:confused:

Buen (whenever you go) Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.