• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Medical Care in Sahagun

palmah

Time of past OR future Camino
We’re in Ledigos tonight going to Sahagun tomorrow. When I took my socks off today there was blood at the base of my big toenail and it looks like a big blister has developed under the nail. I put a gel toe cap on it but I’m afraid the whole nail will come off when I take the gel cap off. Oh yes, I stubbed it pretty hard 3 days ago. Any words of advice? Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK- so I am an RN in the US. I suggest you clean it WELL - soap, water, hydrogen peroxide - take a close look or have someone else look at the toe. Is is a water blister or a blood blister? Blood blisters are more prone to infection than water blisters.
Are you diabetic or do you have cardiac disease? If so, see a medical professional. If not, after careful cleaning, apply antibiotic ointment and wrap or apply antib ointment under gel cap.
You MUST keep it clean and dry. Dress it 3x/day for a couple of days, then twice for another day or two. If any signs of infection (reddness, swelling, discharge, increased pain, fever, etc,) emerge see an MD immediately.
Yes you will likely lose your toenail.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
T
Thanks Marksa. It appears to be a water blister. I applied an ointment and then put the gel cap on. Now I’m afraid to take the gel cap off for fear the mail will come off too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Start with the pharmacy and ask for recommendations for topical treatment, they can also direct you to the closest clinic.
Thanks K, that’s a good place to start.
Thank you so much! We may stop by and visit the Peaceable Kingdom on our way to Sahagun tomorrow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went to the urgent care. I don’t know if I was taken care of by a nurse or doctor but she drained it, put iodine on it and wrapped loosely with gauze. She was appalled by the gel cap I had put on it and said the toe has to be uncovered for the next 3 days. We bought some sandals for me to walk in so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve cut the big toe off of my injinji toe socks. At least the nail hasn’t fallen off! Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum