• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen Juneau

Time of past OR future Camino
Future...leaving Colorado 08/10/2014
I am on a high dose of a medication (non narcotic) that requires me to take 6-8 pills daily depending on activity level. Will it be a problem bringing medications in that amount (7 weeks worth) through customs?

Also what about bringing the drink Emergen C?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jen, boy can I relate! I take numerous medications and some are large and taken in large numbers. I don't think there will be a problem since they are not narcotics but it would help if the chemical name is listed as well as the proprietary name so they can know what it is. However I have read that we should keep them in original containers and that if we can bring the prescription that is good too. I have a computer sheet I get from the medical center I go to that is updated at each visit. This lists my meds and my diagnoses. I will be bringing a recent one to show my meds are current, etc. I can also use this if I need to see a doctor while in Spain. Some of my diagnoses are standard type stuff, like asthma, while others are rare and so I also translated them into Spanish onto a piece of paper to take along. There is a program on-line that I used to do this but darn if I can figure out the name right now - sorry.
As a disclaimer I should add that I have not gone on my first camino yet, due to arrive in Spain May 16th ; )
Stefania

Jen, boy can I relate! I take numerous medications and some are large and taken in large numbers. I don't think there will be a problem since they are not narcotics but it would help if the chemical name is listed as well as the proprietary name so they can know what it is. However I have read that we should keep them in original containers and that if we can bring the prescription that is good too. I have a computer sheet I get from the medical center I go to that is updated at each visit. This lists my meds and my diagnoses. I will be bringing a recent one to show my meds are current, etc. I can also use this if I need to see a doctor while in Spain. Some of my diagnoses are standard type stuff, like asthma, while others are rare and so I also translated them into Spanish onto a piece of paper to take along. There is a program on-line that I used to do this but darn if I can figure out the name right now - sorry.
As a disclaimer I should add that I have not gone on my first camino yet, due to arrive in Spain May 16th ; )
Stefania

This is very good advice. We have a number of medications between us and have walked several caminos. Our pharmacist gives us an "official" printout of all the original scrips. Your idea to have your conditions translated is a very good one indeed should you run into difficulties. We do take our meds in their original containers as well, but have often ditched the bulky containers in favor of baggies once we're in Spain. It's never caused us a problem on return home.
This is a useful medical terminology translation site:
http://www.medicalspanish.com/dictionary/english-spanish/s.html

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is very good advice. We have a number of medications between us and have walked several caminos. Our pharmacist gives us an "official" printout of all the original scrips. Your idea to have your conditions translated is a very good one indeed should you run into difficulties. We do take our meds in their original containers as well, but have often ditched the bulky containers in favor of baggies once we're in Spain. It's never caused us a problem on return home.
This is a useful medical terminology translation site:
http://www.medicalspanish.com/dictionary/english-spanish/s.html
Lynnejohn,
Thanks for the new link I will check it out. I too was going to ditch the containers when I get to Spain but I didn't want to suggest that since of course we are supposed to keep them in those containers but the weight reduced is worth it to me. I am going to label the baggies before I go so at least they are marked when I dump the meds in them.
Take care and have a great trip.
Stefania

I finally did the math on this. ....it's nearly 500 pills. Wow. ..

Great advice on labeling the baggies and ditching the containers....Thanks!! Hadn't thought of that. I've got enough vials right now that I can peel off the sticky labels and place them onto ziplocks to lighten the load as soon as we're on the Camino! Again, thanks!
Blessings!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yep, that is the advice I have gotten too. All those original bottles will fill half my pack. I may need half a day putting them in tiny plastic bags for each day when I get to SJPDP. I am hoping for a cover letter in Spanish from my Doc who I will see Monday as well as the medications print out I always get, which is, of course, in Spanish. Most the medications are generics so that should help.

Just so you know, Spanish farmacias will routinely fill most prescription drugs if you have the box and or the name of the active ingredient. They are not sticklers for prescriptions, and I have helped other pilgrims get some pretty heavy duty stuff without their US prescription. I occasionally get bad allergy attacks and now all I do is bring the boxes of the drugs prescribed to me in Spain in case I get another attack. I'm not suggesting you do this, but you shouldn't worry too much about what happens if you lose some or run out, etc.

Would blister packing work to reduce the weight.?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think blister packs would end up weighing more, but more importantly, would be terribly bulky..

Hola

One may consider to actively approach the custom personal and tell them you are carrying the medicine, as to prevent them to 'find' something suspicious.

Buen camino
Lettingo

I too, must carry several prescription medications and powdered protein supplements, enough for my entire stay in France and Spain while I walk the Camino Frances again this year. I walked it last year. My chronic conditions required that I start out with 5-6 pounds (@ 2.5 kg) of added weight - over and above the 10% suggested maximum. Most of the added weight was the two servings-per day of powdered protein in individual serving envelopes. ;)

In my experience the advice given above in this thread is all good. Keep narcotic medication in the original bottles. You can discard heavy bottles or jars for the non-narcotic items on arrival in favor of using ziplock bags. Just make sure everything is clearly labeled both with the trade name and the chemical equivalent (aka generic name). Also, I recommend bringing a little more of the prescription medication than you think you will need, just-in-case.

Bring printed copies of prescriptions or the bottle showing refills. In a pinch, a pharmacy, especially in a large town or city should be able to provide a refill. You will have a problem with highly specialized prescription drugs for odd conditions. That is my situation.

However, there is a pronounced bright side to having to carry all this medication with you. As you consume you daily required dosages, your pack becomes lighter. After 10 days to two weeks, it will feel like it is not even there... :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For small quantities of pills and other solid medications, the chain pharmacies like Walgreens in the US sell a package of small (approx 2" x 3" / 50mm x 75mm) ziplock bags with a white label area which you can mark with a Sharpie. They are called "EZY Dose Pill Pouches" and come 100 to a package for about $3. They easily hold 50 or 60 tablets the size of an aspirin. They're also great for other small items, like camera memory cards, that you need to keep dry and free of dust. Also for storing ear plugs, AA or AAA batteries for headlamps, etc.

I don't take a lot of meds, but kept everything I do take in these bags, which were in turn stored in a larger ziplock bag. For those who do take larger quantities, the small bags could easily be used to separate your medications into daily doses like those weekly pill cases -- something you may want to do after you get to your starting point and discard the original plastic prescription bottles. Just be sure to keep everything labeled properly.

Buen Camino,
Jim

I think when I go and get our pills, I'll ask the pharmacist to make 2 copies of each label - one for the original containers and one for the baggie. That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.