• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Michigan Pilgrim- Leaving 5/20- help!

ehaldenb

Hello Pilgrims! Greetings from Michigan!
I'm leaving for Bilbao from Detroit May 20th, hoping to get to St. Jean PdePort by early 22nd...any advise about getting there from Bilbao? I hope to make the whole Camino in 4 weeks...possible, or wishful thinking? I'm travelling alone; a little nervous these last 2 weeks! Thanks!
Emily :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bilbao to St Jean

Bilbao to St Jean: Coach service to Hendaye. Ticket and bus stop at Termibus by the Hospital Civile de Basuto. 1.hr 50mins ± €7.
From Hendaye to St Jean by train via Bayonne 3 ½ hours http://www.sncf.com (French Rail)
For a Pilgrim's Credential stop by at the Friends of the Camino office in Bilbao: Asociación De Amigos Del Camino De Santiago De Bilbao - Nicolás Alcorta, 7 - Pza. de Zabalburu
A cheap place to sleep is the Hostal Gurea, Bidebarrieta 14, 3rd floor, phone +34 944 163 299.

Buen camino!

time

Hi Emily,
I just walked from Pamplona to Santiago in 32 days and had two days of rest and a couple of days of under 10k but this also meant some days of 37k and for me I now know 37k is to much in a day, too fast and too hard.
I met quite a few people walking 40, 45 and even one chap who was walking 50k every day!
So yes it is definately possible and achievable.

When you are in Bilbao my advice would be to try and see the Guggenheim museum. Such an amazing building and a wonderful start.

Buen Camino
Geoff3

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope to make the whole Camino in 4 weeks...possible, or wishful thinking?

Very doable and ditto to the Guggenheim Best, xm 8)

Emily,

When you arrive in Bilbao, don't forget to visit the Catedral de Santiago at the Casco Viejo (old quarter), you can actually get your first sello there if you already have a credencial. The young sacristans can speak English. You may have to wait for the cathedral door to be open, though. If there is no service/mass, it's closed. You'll be delighted to find the waymarks on the pavement.

For practice (and getting rid of jet lag), walk by the river Nervion from Casco Viejo (& bridge) all the way to the Museo Guggenheim. Great evolving view of the museum as you walk. And then you become part of it.

Mark

Bilbao

Thanks, everyone! I can't express how helpful you've all been. I'll be walking alone, so if anyone sees a 20-something American (we stick out like a sore thumb) with very short blond hair, shout "Emily"! Isn't the internet great? Our Camino starts here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll be walking alone...Our Camino starts here.

No, u won't be walking alone ( :!: ), we'll be with u vicariously every step of the way, peregrina. Ur Camino started the moment u made ur decision to experience it, maybe before... :lol: Best, xm 8)

Leaving 5/24 from SJPP second camino

Hi Emily. I'm leaving from SJPP on the 24 of May. Also alone. If you see a middle -aged woman with a Canadian flag emblem on the backpack, that will be me. It is my second Camino. Walked it 2 years ago starting from Pamplona with my daughter and had an awesome time. Met alot of wonderful people. Our main concern was not speaking Spanish , however we met enough people who were kind enough to translate when we needed it. 8)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pilgrims - on Day One you will be given some life-long friends to travel with, not all the time but you will meet up with them again and again, at lunch, in the eve, sheltering under a tree.
The ones starting the day before you were given a different set, the ones the day after - again, a different set -

Your friends to be are packing right now, getting a little nervous like you, right now.
Thinking that they will be travelling alone - just like you, right now.

By choosing to go you have already surrendered to the Pilgrimage - enjoy, all is well.

Almost time & Thanks

Hi Emily and all:
I am also very excited because one week from now we will be hitting the Camino. My son and I hope to depart Roncesvalles on the 24 May. We have a flight back from Madrid on the 19 June. We plan to walk to Burgos, bus to Leon and then to SC. This last week will be a marathon: try to tie down all those work/home arrangements, do some final planning, attend my son's university graduation, and hope not miss our flight. My job takes me to many overseas trips. But the antecipation of this one beats them all.
BTW, thanks to all contributers to the forum. I think I am better prepared and looking forward the Camino. I just wish I had a badge of this great forum and be able to meet some on the Camino.
You may seem my orange backpack and a blue hat with a SC-T in the back!!
Liberp

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back