• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid March 2012 for a newbie

callme.carlo

Hello everyone I am Carlo from the USA. I am 28 years of age with a great desire to walk in March despite my mom's appeal. I recently deployed to Afghanistan and she told me she did not have a restful sleep while I was there :( I told her i have deep personal reason for my walk but she won't hear of it. At least my dad is not as adamant as my mom from persuading me to not walk the Camino :) A little something about myself: Just recently gotten out of the military and a little lost with what to do with my life at this moment :? I am a registered nurse however I have opted not to seek employment at this time as I have this trip coming up :D and have been a bum since October :lol: With a personal reason (and maybe also spiritual) I have told myself to walk the Camino. I just very recently found out about the path from the movie "The Way" so it is not something I been thinking of for years (as most of you probably have). The movie has inspired me quite a bit... Showed my mom the movie but I suppose it was not the best thing to do as the son died.

I am arriving in Barcelona Feb 1st and will spend first 5 weeks visiting Spain, France, Benelux, and Italy. Will then proceed to St Jean from Paris (flying from Milan). I've never undertaken this great of a personal journey and I hope that after my initial 5 weeks in Europe I will still have the calling to walk the way for 30+ days haha. Thanks for reading.

I've read some post regarding ppl walking March/April already but is anyone else starting March? I hope the weather will not make things extremely difficult :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are very ambitious. You might like to consider doing one thing and one thing only--touring Europe or making the Camino but not doing both at the same time. The Camino is quite an undertaking and I wonder if it can be combined with a tour of Europe as you have planned.

I am sure that you will have the stamina to do both, as suggested by AGW1 one trip may be all you need. But life has a way of giving us lessons that we are ready for. The very bst of luck :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
callme.carlo said:
I've read some post regarding ppl walking March/April already but is anyone else starting March? I hope the weather will not make things extremely difficult :p

Lots of people will be starting in March! You won't be alone and it will be a fantastic experience. Take good rain gear and clothes to layer as it will still be cold...but don't take too much! The less you carry the more you will enjoy. Like life.

Buen Camino

John

Hi there,

I will be starting the Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port on March 27th & I can't wait. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a trip as much as this one & yet this one promises to be a stern mental & physical test. Definitely not like a typical holiday I'd normally go on. To my shame I'd never even heard of the Camino before I watched "The Way" just after Christmas but I immediately felt it was something I had to do, or at least give it my best shot.

So I picked up my Pilgrim's passport this week from St. James's Church, Dublin (near where I live). I have my flight booked from Dublin to Biarritz for 26th March so now I just have to buy a few bits & pieces & get a lot fitter but I've still got 10 weeks left.

May I wish you all the best for your trip. I think it'll be a rewarding, never to be forgotten experience & I'm counting down the days.

Best wishes.

Dave

@ AGW1

I too feel this may be a little too much but I feel like I must do it now or wait till I am much older :) I was planning on going back to school this January (already applied and signed up for classes) but I been dealing with some rather tougher personal challenges becoming a civilian recently that I decided to backpack Europe solo. With the intention of becoming a more self content individual by experiencing life outside of what I have been accustomed to. You may be right... We shall see after I finish my initial 5 weeks.

@ Cote

I agree. I am ready for that lesson and to keep it deep inside my soul. To rid myself of the irrational and envelope the truth.

@ Johnnie

I hope to have this as a solitary experience but at the same time I hope to make new friends and to hopefully awaken things in me I never considered. What is a good lower trouser (for the rain and cold) to look into? However I rather not spend anymore than I have to.

@ Geordie

I as you only heard of it from that movie. It was rather an impulse decision after I watched it but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta right? My biggest reason (as probably most secular pilgrims) is to learn more about myself and improve my outlook on life. The proudest moment of my life so far has been what I have done while I was in Afghanistan. However since I have gotten out I been feeling rather pessimistic and truthfully feeling quite uninspired by life. Depressed actually. This trip to Europe and walking the Way have given me something to look very forward to and lifted my spirit up. I probably will not see you but best of everything and I hope you find what you are also looking for.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Carlo:

I sounds like a perfect time in your life to do some traveling and walk the Camino. I did a Camino after a very intense job assignment of longterm disaster recovery after Hurricane Katrina. At the end of the project I really missed the excitment and intensity of the work. Going back to 'normal life' was difficult and the camino gave me time to reflect on my experiences and ponder how I could apply all that I learned in a way that would provide me more meaning in my life.

Although it may do no good, please let your mother know that many thousands walk the Camino every year...and come home back home healthier mentally, spiritually and physically.

You'll meet people of all ages and all nationalities. I'm 45 and one of the highlights of my caminos is spending time talking to people of all ages and outlooks.

I wish you all the best on your next set of adventures.

Jeff

@ Jeff

You felt the same as I do now! It feels like going from 60 to 0... Imagine treating several mass casualty traumas for several months then coming back to the opposite of this.. I feel useless.. I feel unfulfilled... I dislike feeling this way.

I told my parents the purpose of the Camino.. in that each person have their own reason. I have tried to tell them the different walks of life that comes to the Camino however in their mind danger is forever present at every corner. I told my dad about a particular pilgrim's blog in order for him to better understand what I will be facing but he did not seem quite interested. This is unfortunate... I am not changing my mind and I know they know that. They will come to accept my decision.

callme.carlo said:
The movie has inspired me quite a bit... Showed my mom the movie but I suppose it was not the best thing to do as the son died.

Hi! I hope you meant this to be funny because it made me laugh. :) I watched the film at the cinema with my parents but fortunately that was after I got back from the Camino Frances. I think my Dad would secretly like to do at least part of the Camino but doesn't want to leave my Mum at home so he hasn't said anything in case he makes her feel bad.

Combining the Camino with a wider tour of Europe isn't unusual. I met quite a few people who had sent a suitcase on to Santiago to pick up when they arrived. I don't know how it works but it happens. I'm sure there is advice on this forum.

I also went on the Camino after the end of a job and was unsure as to my next move. I still don't really know what I'm going to do, to be honest. If anything my musings on the Camino told me what NOT to do rather than pointing me in a clear direction! That said, it relit a fire in parts of my mind and spirit that I had neglected. It's amazing the way that hundreds of thousands of people each year who are apparently doing the same thing find something incredibly personal and inspiring.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@ tyrrek

i did meant it to be funny :)
you know my dad did expressed wanting to do the Camino but not until much later. oh btw he is already 63 haha albeit he is in great condition for his age. he still works and do have a busy work schedule. the movie reminded me much of my relationship b/t my dad (he is also a physician) and i (not starting graduate school). I just hope he will not have a similar reason to visit Europe!!! thanks for the encouragement.

Ha ha! I doubt he'll be throwing your ashes over Spain. If your Dad did decide to do it after retirement he would be in very good company. A huge cohort when I was walking (April-May) were the recently retired. I met a Swiss guy towards the end who had just sold up his landscape gardening business and was like a teenager again. Embarassingly so. :lol:

Hi Carlo,
I walked the month of March a few years ago and found it to be a wondeful time to walk. THere were some cold days but mainly it was very pleasant walking weather. Also, it was not crowded yet there were other people around and I made wonderful friends.
I believe you asked in one of your posts about trousers. I brought some silk longjohns to wear under my trousers on colder days. I brought two pairs of very lightweight synthetic walking/exercise trousers...they were cheap...from Target. At the last minute I put in a pair of lightweight goretex hiking trousers...I only used them a couple of times on days that there was snow and I probably could have done without them. I had pretty good weather though. I hope this trip will give you everything that you are looking for.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
viajero said:
Hi Carlo,
I walked the month of March a few years ago and found it to be a wondeful time to walk. THere were some cold days but mainly it was very pleasant walking weather. Also, it was not crowded yet there were other people around and I made wonderful friends.
I believe you asked in one of your posts about trousers. I brought some silk longjohns to wear under my trousers on colder days. I brought two pairs of very lightweight synthetic walking/exercise trousers...they were cheap...from Target. At the last minute I put in a pair of lightweight goretex hiking trousers...I only used them a couple of times on days that there was snow and I probably could have done without them. I had pretty good weather though. I hope this trip will give you everything that you are looking for.

Viajero

Thanks for shedding some more light in to this month. I do feel more assured that i've picked a good time to go.

Synthetic long johns and upper check
Columbia convertible synthetic pants check

Looking forward to meeting the types of ppl doing this in March!!

My scheduled walk is now more like March 1 to April 4. I took off the extra 5th week in my initial Euro tour. Reschedule my return flight at the Santiago airport instead of Barcelona and will be on April 10. Which should give me allowance just in case i am forced to stay an extra day in a town due to weather. Costly to make the change but i must do this walk for me :)

Hi Carlo! Put your Mim's mind at rest! Have a look at my diary from last year, http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm it's available as a download in .doc format. I travelled alone from Porto to Santiago. This year I go from Salamanca to Santiago on the Via de la Plata. You'll be fine, and would be exceedingly unlucky to have any problems at all!
Buen camino!
Stephen

Stephen Nicholls said:
Hi Carlo! Put your Mim's mind at rest! Have a look at my diary from last year, http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm it's available as a download in .doc format. I travelled alone from Porto to Santiago. This year I go from Salamanca to Santiago on the Via de la Plata. You'll be fine, and would be exceedingly unlucky to have any problems at all!
Buen camino!
Stephen

Really cool. I checked it out and it is quite inspirational. Thanks for sharing! However I do think my mum is feeling a little better about it now. They do keep coming to the same idea that I need to bring all kinds of clothes to be safe for the winter weather. I keep reminding them that more is not better.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Point out to them that a long sleeve shirt, fleece, windjacket, and poncho will do the same thing as a winter coat without the weight of a four pound coat! And you are ready for several other conditions -- hot weather, cool weather, and rain. More is definitely NOT better. You've got it. By George, I think you've got it. Now once again, where does it rain? (with apologies to Rex Harrison)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.