• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Midday pilgrim mass

piogaw

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
Hello to all the veteran and experienced peregrinos, and also to the newbies peregrinos,

Are things changing in the cathedral for the midday mass? I have seem changes being introduced slowly regarding rules and regulations during the mass. Are the rules and regulations being enforced uniformly through out the entire mass?

I would welcome your thoughts and opinions in this forum.

Buen camino to you all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello to all the veteran and experienced peregrinos, and also to the newbies peregrinos,

Are things changing in the cathedral for the midday mass? I have seem changes being introduced slowly regarding rules and regulations during the mass. Are the rules and regulations being enforced uniformly through out the entire mass?

I would welcome your thoughts and opinions in this forum.

Buen camino to you all.

What changes have you seen introduced?

" INFORMATIVE NOTE: For security reasons access to the Cathedral with backpacks, walking sticks or other packages is restricted.
Pilgrim's Official Luggage is available to deposit these objects."

Is this new policy being enforced ?

Edit - in response to JW reply below

Thanks Johnnie Walker for that. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to enter the Cathedral on two occasions in the past immediately upon arrival . I guess Ivar and the Concierge are going to need extra space !

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In October this year we brought our packs in but could not leave them unattended at any time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When we walk we (hopefully) come to terms with many things. Entering the cathedral the first time wearing my pack had a sense of completeness about it. But I did not wear it since that time and still had the same sense of completeness and oneness. For those who will not have the opportunity it is a little sad maybe to be faced so soon with the harsh realities of the modern world we have created.

How very sad that this is necessary. On arriving in Santiago in May this year my daughter and I headed straight for the cathedral, and on entering (complete with pack and sticks) I was unexpectedly overcome with emotion - a feeling that I am sure to remember forever. I doubt I would have felt the same if I'd had to to find accommodation to leave my pack, or deposit it at the pilgrim office, before visiting the cathedral.

I am very grateful that my first camino culminated in this way, and I am sad for those pilgrims that will now have to make more elaborate arrangements before finishing their journey, although I do understand and appreciate the reason for such rules.

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

That is correct but security has been tightened - today I saw all pilgrims with rucksacks being turned away.

Hello john,

A few questions. Does this meant that you can not even carry a small rucksack on your back? How about a shoulder bag? Also is this rule going to be uniformly applied to all peregrinos, all tourist groups from bus tours and cruise ships?

God bless.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello john,

A few questions. Does this meant that you can not even carry a small rucksack on your back? How about a shoulder bag? Also is this rule going to be uniformly applied to all peregrinos, all tourist groups from bus tours and cruise ships?

God bless.

As far as I can see they are only applying this to rucksacks, suitcases and so on.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.