• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Might walk from Madrid

crackmrmac

Veteran Member
Last Easter I overnighted in Madrid on way to camino porteguse. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon plaza santiao around the corner from hostel. Thinking of walking from Madrid next Easter. Flights are booked and I have time for two weeks on camino. Any buelletins , updates or indeed better still pm to encourage me, any response will be most welcome.

Brian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Brian -
We walked from Madrid last year, and we loved it. It's spectacularly isolated, so it has its own mystical, contemplative feel. Lots of wide open spaces. It's very well waymarked and there are some great historical/spiritual places to visit. I thoroughly recommend it. Folks who live along this Way are not so familiar with peregrinos so their reactions are all over the map.
A great camino and I'm sure you'll love it!

See Johnnie Walker's guide through CSJ on Madrid to Sahagun, available for download and with a donativo.

http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

lynne

Hi Brian,

I'm also planning on doing the Camino de Madrid next year - have already purchased my plane ticket out on April 27th (so land the 28th in Madrid). I thought it would be best to avoid Easter and start just after the holiday. I'm walking solo so would love to have company, not necessarily for walking as I know we all have our own pace, but at least for meeting up at night and planning each day's walk. Let me know if you're interested...

Allison

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Lynne and Allison. I've read the csj guide and other posts here. I expect I'll have time to walk to Sahagun.
I expect to start on 19th so that's a lucky escape for you Allison!!!

Take warm clothing. My friend 'Little John' walked from the end of April this year and said it was often freezing cold with snow on the surrounding mountains.

Attachments

• Madrid Snow.jpg
    Madrid Snow.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,803
  • SnowMadrid.jpg
    SnowMadrid.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,802
Hi Brian,

Perhaps you could send me a PM or make a posting on how you found the route (and then I'll plan accordingly!). You can be the scout!! :D

I have a backup plan (Via de la Plata) if the route or weather is miserable...

Allison

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hopefully ok weatherwise. I'll check before I go and maybe even at tourist office in Madrid.
The fast walking should keep me warm :D
Allison, I don't use computer much while on route, but I will keep you in mind.

Johnnie Walker alias John, If I have solid information I will let you know, probably after I return. In my heart I know I will enjoy this route. I may not be much good at the pilgrimage stuff but long distance walking with evening comforts....

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are a very good pilgrim - I know - and a good albergue and hospitalero helper-outer!

Will do.

I had thought of carrying on along the Frances to Santiago, or perhaps take the Invierno route - will the CSJ +/or Rebekah's guide be ready by the Spring?

The invierno route guide is out being paginated as we speak, and should be posted by Christmas, god willing. If you need it before that just let me know and I´ll send you the Quick & Dirty version.

If you come up the Madrid route please let me know.. I live very near to Sahagun, and you can do an easy variation out of Villalon de Campos and join the Frances in Moratinos instead, with all the accompanying goodies. :D

Rebekah

A selection of Camino Jewellery
.. this Invierno entices me from other posts by Reb...I vaguely remember reading...
Right now I'm listening to what my daughter says is "christian rock" which I have compliments of Rick Rowland who has walked C.F.

Buen Camino.

Edit: I must have been rambling :D

Hi Rebekah,

That sounds wonderful! I'm really looking forward to the Madrid route and would love to visit Moratinos. I have some great photos of when I passed thru the pueblo in 2007, but that was long before I found your blog and realized that was where you lived.

I've been interested in the Invierno for a while now but am a bit trepidatious at the thought of it not being well way-marked so am eagerly awaiting the publication of your guide.

Thanks, Allison

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.