• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monasterio de Hebron

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Haven't got there yet.
Currently on Portugues in Vila do Conde.
Superb new albergue in Labruge 24 km out of Porto. Tastefully restored school house. Single beds.
Also superb new albergue in former tourist office in Vila do Conde. Both are municipal. Euro 7.50 per night.
Washing machine and dryer 1 euro. Free WiFi. Luxury and space.

Hi MendiWalker,

The Monastery is a lovely place to stay and was a real highlight for my Camino back in 2013. It does have a limited opening period - June to October I believe (more details on this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/herbón-monastery.20483/#post-406176)

Otherwise you have the correct information regarding food and donativo. I should mention when I stayed no tour was offered (possibly due to a language barrier) and Mass wasn't on as the Priest wasn't there (which might also be the reason the tour wasn't on). But the volunteers were incredibly lovely and helpful so this wasn't an issue for me and it was a very peaceful refuge to stay. They had no problem with us wandering around the monastery ourselves so I was still able to see much of the building and grounds. The refuge itself was very clean, comfortable and the room with the bunk beds was spacious and the beds were comfy. Oh and the showers were nice and hot!

The walk to the monastery itself is a little overgrown and remote, I think walking it alone may be daunting but as you'll be with your wife it'll be fine. It's worth it and the way back to Padron the next day is via a road so you're only on this trail once. Also if you're pushing through to Santiago from Herbon it's a really nice, quiet spot to recharge before heading into the big city :)

Buen Camino!
Kat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just met a German walker today coming south from Santiago. She reported that she saw numerous bedbugs on and under her mattress. She reported this and just got a shoulder shrug and can of insect spray. This is second hand info and one always needs to be aware of that, but if you stay there just be sure to inspect your surroundings carefully. I do this anyway regardless of where I stay these days.

The view from the dorm room:
721.JPG

The cloisters:
738.JPG

Edit: tried and failed to get photos resized.
hfUSRDmPzZP3T61tMfsLlzZArTRmbQVYMVT9QPpuRTU

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back