• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monastery at Herbon - digging deeper

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023; walking 13 days total.
Hi,

I'm sorry to ask so many questions this week! I'm on our last accommodation and I've kind of avoided it because of the complexity.

We'd like to stay at the Monastery at Herbon and I know they do not take reservations or have private rooms. But I've read there can be a long line to check in and my question is, without a reservation in Padron if we cannot get a bedat Herbon, is it possible to find a room in Padron without a reservation if we have to go back?

Also, my husband just had a thought. he's bringing his C-Pap as I can't sleep with snoring. Is there an outlet at each bunk site to plug in? (I realize there may be other snorers but I can only control so much, lol)

Finally, because I'm a light sleeper we are only staying in two other Albergue's but does anyone know if you can also plug in by your bed at Casa de Fernanda and at Ninho? Gracias!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I'm sorry to ask so many questions this week! I'm on our last accommodation and I've kind of avoided it because of the complexity.

We'd like to stay at the Monastery at Herbon and I know they do not take reservations or have private rooms. But I've read there can be a long line to check in and my question is, without a reservation in Padron if we cannot get a bedat Herbon, is it possible to find a room in Padron without a reservation if we have to go back?

Also, my husband just had a thought. he's bringing his C-Pap as I can't sleep with snoring. Is there an outlet at each bunk site to plug in? (I realize there may be other snorers but I can only control so much, lol)

Finally, because I'm a light sleeper we are only staying in two other Albergue's but does anyone know if you can also plug in by your bed at Casa de Fernanda and at Ninho? Gracias!!
My experience this year walking both the Variante Espiritual and Camino Sanabres was that the Xunta albergues on both routes were never full, even when places that could be booked were not showing any vacancies. That is, of course, no guarantee that there will be a place when you walk, but it might give you some confidence that beds will be available. It might be more a matter of finding where they are than whether they exist.

I haven't stayed at Hebron, but where I have wanted to stay at a particular albergue that didn't take bookings, I have made sure that I got there relatively early in the afternoon. The irony is that many of these places remained relatively empty, even on the CP. Again, no guarantees at the time you are walking. As for there being a long queue, if you know how many beds are available, it will not be difficult to work out whether you can expect a bed for the night. There would be no point queuing otherwise.

Most places I stayed had power points for each bed, or close enough. If I booked, I would always let the property know that I needed to be close to a power point so I could use a CPAP. In only one or two places did that mean I had to be given a specific bed because there weren't power points near every bed. It was never an issue getting access to a power point.

I stayed at Casa da Fernanda. There was no difficulty with power points points, although you might find you are sharing one with the adjacent bed. I cannot quite remember how that worked, just that it wasn't an issue. I didn't stay at Ninho.

My experience this year walking both the Variante Espiritual and Camino Sanabres was that the Xunta albergues on both routes were never full, even when places that could be booked were not showing any vacancies. That is, of course, no guarantee that there will be a place when you walk, but it might give you some confidence that beds will be available. It might be more a matter of finding where they are than whether they exist.

I haven't stayed at Hebron, but where I have wanted to stay at a particular albergue that didn't take bookings, I have made sure that I got there relatively early in the afternoon. The irony is that many of these places remained relatively empty, even on the CP. Again, no guarantees at the time you are walking. As for there being a long queue, if you know how many beds are available, it will not be difficult to work out whether you can expect a bed for the night. There would be no point queuing otherwise.

Most places I stayed had power points for each bed, or close enough. If I booked, I would always let the property know that I needed to be close to a power point so I could use a CPAP. In only one or two places did that mean I had to be given a specific bed because there weren't power points near every bed. It was never an issue getting access to a power point.

I stayed at Casa da Fernanda. There was no difficulty with power points points, although you might find you are sharing one with the adjacent bed. I cannot quite remember how that worked, just that it wasn't an issue. I didn't stay at Ninho.
Ok, perfect; thank you Doug! That was very helpful! We will proceed and perhaps pray! 🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Padron is a medium size place, for camino standards. If you dont get a bed at hebron, it should be very simple to find a room in a small hotel.

For powerplugs, best is to ask when reserving to make sure. Shouldn't be an issue either.

Herbon has so much space I would not be worried! When we were there the hospitalero pointed out a space they can put extras if needed, but apparently that rarely happens. They do a fascinating tour of the complex which I would highly recommend taking.
Also, do you realise you do not have to walk to Padron and go back? There's a detour to take you directly to the monastery. If I were to rewalk the Portuguese, Herbon is the one place I would definitely want to return to!

Herbon has so much space I would not be worried! When we were there the hospitalero pointed out a space they can put extras if needed, but apparently that rarely happens. They do a fascinating tour of the complex which I would highly recommend taking.
Also, do you realise you do not have to walk to Padron and go back? There's a detour to take you directly to the monastery. If I were to rewalk the Portuguese, Herbon is the one place I would definitely want to return to!
Thank you, I was given a map of the detour but somehow in my mind we were going to Padron (from the variante espiritual) and then to Hebron. Good!

I very much would love the tour of the monastery. I can email her to ask but do you know what time the tours are?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, I was given a map of the detour but somehow in my mind we were going to Padron (from the variante espiritual) and then to Hebron. Good!

I very much would love the tour of the monastery. I can email her to ask but do you know what time the tours are?
I had the privilege of staying here last year. Run by the local Camino society and monks (Franciscan, I think), it was an absolutely wonderful experience, especially as the Camino was coming to an end. I turned up around 3 and there 15 or so people in front of me, but still plenty of room.

There's just one tour a day, (around 4-5pm if I remember rightly, after everyone has checked in) followed by a pilgrims mass. Then there's a communal meal with wine (from the monestery if I recall) about an hour or so later. Can't remember the plug socket situation, but the beds were in little curtained off sections with a bunk in each. There was also a delicious and plentiful breakfast supplied in the morning for the final stretch to Santiago de Compostela. What more could you ask for on what would probably be your last night (it was mine) on the Camino?

Oh, and the way back to Padron is actually quicker than the detour from the C.P as there is a more direct route to the city.

If you can, stay here.

Bom Caminho

Last edited:
I had the privilege of staying here last year. Run by the local Camino society and monks (Franciscan, I think), it was an absolutely wonderful experience, especially as the Camino was coming to an end. I turned up around 3 and there 15 or so people in front of me, but still plenty of room.

There's just one tour a day, (around 4-5pm if I remember rightly, after everyone has checked in) followed by a pilgrims mass. Then there's a communal meal with wine (from the monestery if I recall) about an hour or so later. Can't remember the plug socket situation, but the beds were in little curtained off sections with a bunk in each. There was also a delicious and plentiful breakfast supplied in the morning for the final stretch to Santiago de Compostela. What more could you ask for on what would probably be your last night (it was mine) on the Camino?

Oh, and the way back to Padron is actually quicker than the detour from the C.P as there is a more direct route to the city.

If you can, stay here.

Bom Caminho
Ok, thank you! I will email her for the tour time. I know dinner is quite late; 9 pm and I think the blessing is at 7 or 8. That's good to know about the plentiful breakfast! Yes, that is our last stop before walking to Santiago! Sounds like you had a buen Camino!

I think you'll find they do the tour when everyone has checked in. I seem to recall it was about 5. Do you think you could relax about this? There's huge advantage in not trying to plan out every detail.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back