• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for monastery recommendations Camino Portugués

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023; walking 13 days total.
First time posting so forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly. I am planning a Camino for September and booking accommodations. We fly into Lisbon, then visit Fatima, then Porto and start to walk from there. Route is Vila Cha, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Tui, Pontevedra, Vilanova de Arousa, Padron to Santiago. Included in this is the Variante Espiritual. I have read beautiful things about the Herbón albergue and wondered if it is open? I cannot find the official website for information.

I would appreciate any information you have. We were originally overnighting in Padron and then heading to Santiago the next morning. My understanding is detouring to Hebron would take us 2.5 km off our path, then 2.5 in the morning to get back on the Camino?

I'd also appreciate any info about other monasteries, convents (I'm Catholic), or just cool places to stay along the way. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
According to Gronze it is open from 1 April to 31 October
Having stayed there once, I would stay again in a heartbeat.
Also good is Quinta Estrada Romana

1688547528888.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Staying at Herbon was a highlight of my Camino. It's one wing of the former monastery, donativo, communal meal and breakfast and pilgrim mass. The meal is after mass, so quite late by pilgrim standards. The big hunk of chocolate and walnut loaf I'd been carrying helped stave off several people's hunger pangs!

Yes the detour is 2.5 to 3 k: follow the red arrows. You can't book so arrive early. I've read that you can't stay if you've only walked from Padron, so wouldn't fit with the Variante Espirituel if you take the boat.

I'm not one for recommendations as so much depends on the people you meet and it's usually helpful not to have expectations. You might want to investigate the monastery at Armentiera: I don't think there are any others on the route you are planning.

According to Gronze it is open from 1 April to 31 October
Having stayed there once, I would stay again in a heartbeat.
Also good is Quinta Estrada Romana

View attachment 151439
Awesome, thank you so much! I emailed amigosdelcamino. The other hostel looks to be about 7 miles from Tui. We go from Pacos to Tui. Did you walk that far out of the way? But I looked on another map and it looks close to Pacos (just adding 5 miles to our walk next day Tui to Mos).
Also, I see you can book through booking.com Did you use them at all for bookings?

Thank you!!

I’m sure you would enjoy staying in the Armenteira monastery on the Variante Espiritual, but you’ll need to book in advance.
Hi, unfortunately I got an email response from them that they do not take pilgrims July though September due to the many retreats they book. They gave me this list of other accomodations; have you stayed in any of them? We prefer a private room whenever possible as I'm a light sleeper. Thank you!

Others lodges in Armenteira:

Albergue peregrinos Armenteira: 619 53 40 87

Casa vacacional o Busto 653 68 41 44 (enteire house 4 o more beds)

Casa rural Val de Deus: 676 921 289

Casa rural Carballo de Prado 650 2336 47

Pousada (hotel de cuatro estrellas): 986 71 63 72

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the Variante Espiritual, there is also the Monasterio de San Xoán de Poio (Monastery of St. John of Poio) in Poio, which is the town just before Combarro. I have no personal experience of the lodging, but author Roy Uprichard mentions staying here in his book Stone and Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant of the Camino Portugues. When my wife and I were passing through town, we tried to get some more information but found the doors to the hostel closed, which was probably related to an ongoing religious festival they were celebrating that day in the monastery's 17th century church.
The monastery in Armenteira is absolutely worthwhile and the lodging comfortable.

Staying at Herbon was a highlight of my Camino. It's one wing of the former monastery, donativo, communal meal and breakfast and pilgrim mass. The meal is after mass, so quite late by pilgrim standards. The big hunk of chocolate and walnut loaf I'd been carrying helped stave off several people's hunger pangs!

I echo this comment. My wife and I stayed there last July (one year ago today!). There were only three Franciscan Friars still in residence (all in their 80s) and they had a very moving Pilgrims Blessing at the end of the mass, and presented each of us with certificates. The hospitalero was a volunteer who was there for three weeks, but I don't know if that's the normal rotation or if he was filling in for a permanent hospitalero. Prior to the mass, they provided a guided tour of the monastery and grounds in Spanish.

Yes the detour is 2.5 to 3 k: follow the red arrows. You can't book so arrive early. I've read that you can't stay if you've only walked from Padron, so wouldn't fit with the Variante Espirituel if you take the boat.
I had not heard about this policy, but we started in Porto and didn't take the Variante Spiritual.

P.S. Due to a foot injury, my wife needed to transport her pack the next day. Since Herbon doesn't accept reservations, they also don't accept forwarded packs or allow for their pickup, but the hospitalero called Loly at Albergue d'Camiño in Padron and arranged for us to leave the pack there for pickup. Great Camino spirit on both their parts!

I'm not one for recommendations as so much depends on the people you meet and it's usually helpful not to have expectations. You might want to investigate the monastery at Armentiera: I don't think there are any others on the route you are planning.
Hi Barbara! We are walking a long way that day, so I don't see how we can arrive early. I did not realize they do not take reservations, so if we get there and they are full, are there other options? I'm trying to reach them and send an email; hoping to hear back. I wrote amigosdelcamino. We are starting in Porto so it should not be a problem with the distance unless you are saying no matter where you come from, they won't let you stay if you took the boat at the Variante Espiritual?

Unfortunately the monastery at Armentiera will not take pilgrims July through September which is sad!

Thank you for your help! Robin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Variante Espiritual, there is also the Monasterio de San Xoán de Poio (Monastery of St. John of Poio) in Poio, which is the town just before Combarro. I have no personal experience of the lodging, but author Roy Uprichard mentions staying here in his book Stone and Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant of the Camino Portugues. When my wife and I were passing through town, we tried to get some more information but found the doors to the hostel closed, which was probably related to an ongoing religious festival they were celebrating that day in the monastery's 17th century church.
The monastery in Armenteira is absolutely worthwhile and the lodging comfortable.
Oh, thank you! We might check that out! I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make reservations but I see this former monastery and others pull up under booking.com Have you ever used them for a camino booking?

Unfortunately Armenteira does not allow pilgrims July through September so that is not a possibility for us.

I echo this comment. My wife and I stayed there last July (one year ago today!). There were only three Franciscan Friars still in residence (all in their 80s) and they had a very moving Pilgrims Blessing at the end of the mass, and presented each of us with certificates. The hospitalero was a volunteer who was there for three weeks, but I don't know if that's the normal rotation or if he was filling in for a permanent hospitalero. Prior to the mass, they provided a guided tour of the monastery and grounds in Spanish.

I had not heard about this policy, but we started in Porto and didn't take the Variante Spiritual.

P.S. Due to a foot injury, my wife needed to transport her pack the next day. Since Herbon doesn't accept reservations, they also don't accept forwarded packs or allow for their pickup, but the hospitalero called Loly at Albergue d'Camiño in Padron and arranged for us to leave the pack there for pickup. Great Camino spirit on both their parts!
Oh I'm so glad I read this! If they don't take reservations (would hate to walk that far and not get a room) and you can't forward your bags, it probably won't work sadly. Learning a lot today! Did you enjoy Loly at Alberque d'Camiño in Padron?

in Armenteira:

Albergue peregrinos Armenteira: 619 53 40 87
I stayed here in May of this year. It is very clean and comfortable with individual outlet and light at every bunk. It used to be a Xunta Albergue that is now run privately by a most welcoming Hospitalero. It is close to the monastery and a restaurant that is outside the monastery walls. The Albergue has a wonderful breakfast that needs to be requested on check in. The monastery (lodging was full when I was there) welcomes Pilgrims for the hours and Morning Mass. The walk the next morning is the Etapa Reina of the Variante Espiritual.
Another very nice Albergue is in Redondela Albergue Parroquial Santiago Apostol they have Mass in the evening. Buen Camino!
PS: it is always kind to reserve directly with each place and avoid the sometimes exorbitant Booking fees that are charged to the Albergues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed here in May of this year. It is very clean and comfortable with individual outlet and light at every bunk. It used to be a Xunta Albergue that is now run privately by a most welcoming Hospitalero. It is close to the monastery and a restaurant that is outside the monastery walls. The Albergue has a wonderful breakfast that needs to be requested on check in. The monastery (lodging was full when I was there) welcomes Pilgrims for the hours and Morning Mass. The walk the next morning is the Etapa Reina of the Variante Espiritual.
Another very nice Albergue is in Redondela Albergue Parroquial Santiago Apostol they have Mass in the evening. Buen Camino!
PS: it is always kind to reserve directly with each place and avoid the sometimes exorbitant Booking fees that are charged to the Albergues.
Oh, thank you for that recommendation! Because the one I want to stay in will not take pilgrims in September. I will check that out! Also, where is the Redondela Albergue Parroquial Santiago Apostol located?

Oh, thank you for that recommendation! Because the one I want to stay in will not take pilgrims in September. I will check that out! Also, where is the Redondela Albergue Parroquial Santiago Apostol located?
In Redondela. Half way between Tui and O Porriño.
Free wash. Spotless. Has a full kitchen. It is run by the parish and súper wonderful Peruvian nuns. Accepts reservations, as does the Albergue in Armenteira.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh I'm so glad I read this! If they don't take reservations (would hate to walk that far and not get a room) and you can't forward your bags, it probably won't work sadly. Learning a lot today! Did you enjoy Loly at Alberque d'Camiño in Padron?
Loly was very sweet and accommodating. I would love to stay at her Albergue if I do the Portugues again. It’s pretty small with a capacity of 15 in shared rooms and one private room according to gronze.com. There are some photos there as well.

Loly was very sweet and accommodating. I would love to stay at her Albergue if I do the Portugues again. It’s pretty small with a capacity of 15 in shared rooms and one private room according to gronze.com. There are some photos there as well.
Oh cool! Thank you for telling me about gronze! I don't see many of our stops there. We go from Porto to Matosinhos to Vila Cha...I don't see those towns on their route. Oh well! At least I'm making progress, lol!

I caught the boat after the variante and walked to Herbon, and was welcomed with open arms. I was suffering from Plantar Fasciitis, and was in a lot of pain, and the hospitalaros were just gorgeous, wrapped my foot in ice, really took care of me. It didn't open until 4 pm, so sat in the sun on the steps for a couple of of hours.
I also recommend a slight detour to Varaio and the Monastery there, and then head back to Vila de Conde (if my memory serves me well). The night I was there the staff put on a big party on the front lawn with a BBQ, wine, music...Bellissima.

€149,-
I caught the boat after the variante and walked to Herbon, and was welcomed with open arms. I was suffering from Plantar Fasciitis, and was in a lot of pain, and the hospitalaros were just gorgeous, wrapped my foot in ice, really took care of me. It didn't open until 4 pm, so sat in the sun on the steps for a couple of of hours.
I also recommend a slight detour to Varaio and the Monastery there, and then head back to Vila de Conde (if my memory serves me well). The night I was there the staff put on a big party on the front lawn with a BBQ, wine, music...Bellissima.
Thank you, that's good to know! I googled Varaio to see where it is but did not find a city by that name; can you tell me the name of the monastery?

Awesome, thank you so much! I emailed amigosdelcamino. The other hostel looks to be about 7 miles from Tui. We go from Pacos to Tui. Did you walk that far out of the way? But I looked on another map and it looks close to Pacos (just adding 5 miles to our walk next day Tui to Mos).
Also, I see you can book through booking.com Did you use them at all for bookings?

Thank you!!
We didn't book in advance at all. This was a chance discovery.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back