• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about luggage in Herbon

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023; walking 13 days total.
Hi,
We are staying at mostly guesthouses during our September pilgrimage. Top Santiago is transporting our luggage. They are able to deliver to Ninho but at the Monastery at Herbon they have to leave our luggage at Restaurante Casa Dios.

I have tried to reach her to confirm we can bring our luggage into the Albergue and she did respond by email but I don't quite understand and questioned but she did not write back. She wrote:

.- In our hostel we do not receive backpacks in transport, we are sorry but Casa Dios is quite close to the hostel.

.- We do not accept travel suitcases, we are sorry and each person is responsible for their backpack.

Has anyone stayed here and were they able to bring their luggage into the Albergue after retrieving it at the restaurant?

I asked Top Santiago and they said they have heard of no problems but I thought I'd ask in here before I try to reach her again.
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It sounds to me like they are confirming that they are not a luggage transfer destination but that you can have it transported to Casa Dios and pick it up from there and take it to the monastery, provided it’s a backpack and not a suitcase.

There is a growing movement against those having luggage transported from staying at municipal and parochial albergues. The intent is to save those beds for walkers carrying their gear. Since it’s impossible to determine if someone with a backpack carried it all day or simply picked it up at the local bar, the ban has focussed on pilgrims with suitcases since it’s obvious that they are not carrying them on the trail. Additionally, this limits the size/amount of luggage per guest in these accommodations, too.

In this case, your transported bag IS allowed as long as it’s in the form of a backpack and not a suitcase. Yes, it sounds like a silly argument of semantics, but it’s an attempt to address this situation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds to me like they are confirming that they are not a luggage transfer destination but that you can have it transported to Casa Dios and pick it up from there and take it to the monastery, provided it’s a backpack and not a suitcase.
Oh!! Yeah, we are carrying light backpacks but have suitcases. Ok, thank you for your interpretation; I may have to book a guest house!
There is a growing movement against those having luggage transported from staying at municipal and parochial albergues. The intent is to save those beds for walkers carrying their gear. Since it’s impossible to determine if someone with a backpack carried it all day or simply picked it up at the local bar, the ban has focussed on pilgrims with suitcases since it’s obvious that they are not carrying them on the trail. Additionally, this limits the size/amount of luggage per guest in these accommodations, too.

In this case, your transported bag IS allowed as long as it’s in the form of a backpack and not a suitcase. Yes, it sounds like a silly argument of semantics, but it’s an attempt to address this situation.
Thank you; that confirms what Nick said. Bummer! I'm so glad I wrote though!

Could you carry what you need for that one day in your backpacks and have your suitcases sent on to your next destination to be picked up the following day? Or have them sent to Casa Dios on that day (provided they are willing to store them overnight) and then picked up from there the following day? Perhaps you could book to eat lunch there as thanks for their assistance?
I'm trying to think outside the box because Herbon is a fabulous place to stay.

Another alternative might be to consider swapping out your suitcases for backpacks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back