• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monkey Wrench Thrown in my Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016
Does anyone else feel that you don't choose the Camino, it chooses you? At first the reason to go on my Camino was to check it off my bucket list. I've been backpacking for a long time and been on many trails, short and long.
The Camino to me was just another adventure that I thought was "cool". It wasn't spiritual anything spiritual or anything meaningful other than a bragging right.
Well two weeks ago a good friend, whom I served with in the military, told me he was diagnosed of stage 4 colon cancer. Before he told me about his health I told him that I was going to walk the Camino de Santiago. He was excited for me and then asked me to light a candle for him in Santiago. He is a devout Catholic and I thought that was the reason why he asked me; until he said that his health haven't been all that well. That's when he told me about his cancer.
What I'm trying to say is that now my Camino has a deeper and greater purpose. It's no longer just a trip to check off from my bucket list. The fact that we're the same age, 50 yrs young, made me realize that my Camino is also a gesture to appreciate my blessings regarding my own health, my children and that I'm still around after retiring from 23 yrs of military service.
I will do my best to light a candle for my friend in every church along the Camino, all the way to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone else feel that you don't choose the Camino, it chooses you? At first the reason to go on my Camino was to check it off my bucket list. I've been backpacking for a long time and been on many trails, short and long.
The Camino to me was just another adventure that I thought was "cool". It wasn't spiritual anything spiritual or anything meaningful other than a bragging right.
Well two weeks ago a good friend, whom I served with in the military, told me he was diagnosed of stage 4 colon cancer. Before he told me about his health I told him that I was going to walk the Camino de Santiago. He was excited for me and then asked me to light a candle for him in Santiago. He is a devout Catholic and I thought that was the reason why he asked me; until he said that his health haven't been all that well. That's when he told me about his cancer.
What I'm trying to say is that now my Camino has a deeper and greater purpose. It's no longer just a trip to check off from my bucket list. The fact that we're the same age, 50 yrs young, made me realize that my Camino is also a gesture to appreciate my blessings regarding my own health, my children and that I'm still around after retiring from 23 yrs of military service.
I will do my best to light a candle for my friend in every church along the Camino, all the way to Santiago.
It's great that you light up an candle in every church along the Camino and there
are plenty.
I wish you a wonderful journey full with candles light up by you.
Buen Camino, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, now you know why you were so persistently called to Camino.

Sorry to hear about your friend. A friend of mine over here (UK) has stage 4 kidney cancer - there is no stage 5 - he started on Cannabis Oil two years ago and his tumours have stopped growing, not yet reduced but stopped growing - the medics cannot account for it - he can.
Could I suggest that the both of you research online into Cannabis Oil treatment, as soon as you can?

Perhaps start here?

Ah, now you know why you were so persistently called to Camino.

Sorry to hear about your friend. A friend of mine over here (UK) has stage 4 kidney cancer - there is no stage 5 - he started on Cannabis Oil two years ago and his tumours have stopped growing, not yet reduced but stopped growing - the medics cannot account for it - he can.
Could I suggest that the both of you research online into Cannabis Oil treatment, as soon as you can?

Perhaps start here?

David,
Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I know he's going through chemo. I'm sure he has done research on every option possible. I just don't know how his employer, which is the US government will take the cannibis oil option. He is still fully employed by them. I'm pretty sure he'd rather live than continue working for the government if he took that route.
Again thank you...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I beleive that when you get your Compostela you can get a second one for the person you walked for or add their name to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
MeanPhilippine, I'm sorry about your friend my prayers for both of you I will light a candle for your friend and many other veterans upon my arrival in May, as a retired military my self can I ask you a favor? go, make an appointment for yourself for a colonoscopy TODAY.

zzotte

Thank you @rometimed
@Anemone del Camino, I was just thinking that about the second Compostela, I'll pay extra if it have to
@Rick of Rick and Peg, I just happen to have a small rock from when we were stationed in Minnesota together. I found it in my foot locker when I was going through my gear. I picked it up during a unit hike in 2001 and til two weeks ago I didn't know why I still have it

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
MeanPhilippine, I'm sorry about your friend my prayers for both of you I will light a candle for your friend and many other veterans upon my arrival in May, as a retired military my self can I ask you a favor? go, make an appointment for yourself for a colonoscopy TODAY.

zzotte
Thank you for serving and thank for lighting a candle. I've had it already in February when I turned 50. Good looking out, still, after retirement.

The candels you are lighting for your comrade, may illuminate your own way. I suggest you, if doing a rest on Bercianos del Real Camino, to take a time to talk with Rosa, the owner and Hospitalera of Albergue Santa Clara. Ask her for the name of the albergue, and tell her about your friend. It could be inspirational. Buen camino to both of you,

The candels you are lighting for your comrade, may illuminate your own way. I suggest you, if doing a rest on Bercianos del Real Camino, to take a time to talk with Rosa, the owner and Hospitalera of Albergue Santa Clara. Ask her for the name of the albergue, and tell her about your friend. It could be inspirational. Buen camino to both of you,
I will definitely do that. Thank you very much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All best wishes, MeanPhillipine, for you, for your friend.
We never know what life will throw at us...so carpe diem! Which you are obviously doing.
All this spiritual stuff and the Camino choosing? Yes, it does, whether we understand or not, whether we like it or not.
Only thing to do is walk, and that does its magic.
Heartfelt wishes for a Buen Camino!

All best wishes, MeanPhillipine, for you, for your friend.
We never know what life will throw at us...so carpe diem! Which you are obviously doing.
All this spiritual stuff and the Camino choosing? Yes, it does, whether we understand or not, whether we like it or not.
Only thing to do is walk, and that does its magic.
Heartfelt wishes for a Buen Camino!
Thank you. I guess my Camino started way before I knew I was going to do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow. that is pretty awesome!
Yes, for some reason I didn't throw away that small rock. This big area where I picked it up, behind our building is where we do our conditioning hike before our annual 12 mile timed Ruck March in 3 hrs, 35-45 lbs weight on your ruck sack; depending on your weight. He and I used run it with 45 lb ruck sack...that was then, i got tired just thinking about it. This is also where we run everyday. My friend ran there in snow, rain and hot days. I wasn't as dedicated as he was.
Why I picked up that rock that day, I don't know other than it was different color than the rocks around it, it was shinny I guess. It sounds off and I don't believe in coincidences or supernatural but I do believe that there things in the world that cannot be explained, so I won't even try.

It sounds off and I don't believe in coincidences
Those are the stories I love the most...ones appearing to be coincidental or that cannot really be explained.
Heard someone say once "isn't that odd?" and the person next to them said, "that's not ODD, that's GOD!"
Here's to you and a special moment when you drop your rock...Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I h
I hope your camino brings you peace and light.

Those are the stories I love the most...ones appearing to be coincidental or that cannot really be explained.
Heard someone say once "isn't that odd?" and the person next to them said, "that's not ODD, that's GOD!"
Here's to you and a special moment when you drop your rock...Buen Camino
Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How often it happens...we receive word of an illness of someone very dear and we suddenly realize, not only our own blessing of health, but a wave of gratitude for all that we do have. I have lost three friends in the past two years from cancer. I feel for you MeanPhillipine and I feel for your friend. As I was leaving for my journey to Santiago, my oldest grandson said to me "Grandma, my strength is your strength and my spirit will be with you at every step". Your sad message brought his words back to me. It goes without saying that you and your friend have a very strong bond. His spirit will be with you and your strength will be with him.

I h

I hope your camino brings you peace and light.
Thank you so much
How often it happens...we receive word of an illness of someone very dear and we suddenly realize, not only our own blessing of health, but a wave of gratitude for all that we do have. I have lost three friends in the past two years from cancer. I feel for you MeanPhillipine and I feel for your friend. As I was leaving for my journey to Santiago, my oldest grandson said to me "Grandma, my strength is your strength and my spirit will be with you at every step". Your sad message brought his words back to me. It goes without saying that you and your friend have a very strong bond. His spirit will be with you and your strength will be with him.
I check om Robert regularly and he has a positive attitude considering his illness. He lives in Maryland with his two boys and I'm in CA, with my family. I uploaded his text yesterday. He said pretty much the same thingScreenshot_2016-03-18-09-24-22~2.png

Thank you everyone for the kind words, responses and suggestions. I will keep everyone posted on Robert's recovery and my Camino.
I leave April 4 from California. I haven't even made my first step away from SJPDP and I already have my first group of Camino Family.
Buen Camino!

Joel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My thoughts are in a whirl. About how the Camino chooses us (how many people on this forum know exactly what this means, even if none of us can entirely explain it?), about that stone you could never throw away, about how life suddenly slams into us and everything becomes just a little bit clearer and even if we have no idea where it's taking us, we know we're right where we need to be.

These things stick in my mind and pop up at unexpected moments. When it does I will say a prayer for you and for your friend. God bless you on your Caminos.

I'm going to throw another monkey wrench in here. When Robert and I were stationed together in Arden Hills Minnesota, I mentioned to him about my dream that his father died a week before it happened. I SAY AGAIN, I don't believe in superstitions, but his dad and I share the same birth day. Before I moved to Minnesota I had made arrangements to stay at this apartment complex, not knowing Robert and his wife were also living there.
How does anyone explain that? Is it just chance? Coincidence? Why go on my Camino now, not 5, 10, 15 yrs ago? Was it because of what happened to Robert. Before I even knew his situation I was all set for my Camino, but my reason for doing going on my Camino was more recreational than anything else. Hence the title of this thread.
I guess there are things that happens in life that are best left alone or you'll go crazy trying to figure out.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I can kinda feel the wheels spinning in your brain from here. I went through a fairly weird period in life a few years ago too and it helped when I was finally able to get out of head and into my heart where I could stop asking the (probably) unanswerable why's and just be amazed at the synchronicity of it all. Now I'm open to the possibility that almost anything is possible. :) The Camino was helpful in stopping the analysing and just going with it. I'd been toying with the idea of the Camino (in a lazy, hazy way) for about 15 years, but it seems it didn't grab me by the scruff of the neck until I was ready for it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why I picked up that rock that day, I don't know other than it was different color than the rocks around it, it was shinny I guess. It sounds off and I don't believe in coincidences or supernatural but I do believe that there things in the world that cannot be explained, so I won't even try.
I am at that place, too.

I have read your posts carefully. No doubt there is a remarkable bond between you and your friend. No doubt the Camino has called you, and you have answered. The Camino is a strong teacher/force, if you let it, and I am sure the Camino wants to teach you something. So go and learn.

Buen Camino!

PS: As a former Norw. soldier, I will keep you both in mind on my way this May.

Last edited:
I am at that place, too.

I have read your posts carefully. No doubt there is a remarkable bond between you and your friend. No doubt the Camino has called you, and you have answered. The Camino is a strong teacher/force, if you let it, and I am sure the Camino wants to teach you something. So go and learn.

Buen Camino!

PS: As a former Norw. soldier, I will keep you both in mind on my way this May.
Thank you sir

I guess there are things that happens in life that are best left alone or you'll go crazy trying to figure out.
Indeed. My parents and god-parents had a similar sort of connection. It was totally mysterious, with several strange coincidences. Whether we call it God, or karma, or.....whatever. It's a blessing that gives more meaning to that relationship and those events. It's so great you're open to that, Joel.
We'll be walking at the same time, but different parts of the Camino. I'll definitely say a prayer for Robert too.

As I was leaving for my journey to Santiago, my oldest grandson said to me "Grandma, my strength is your strength and my spirit will be with you at every step".
Quite the kid, movinmaggie! Out of the mouths of babes.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Indeed. My parents and god-parents had a similar sort of connection. It was totally mysterious, with several strange coincidences. Whether we call it God, or karma, or.....whatever. It's a blessing that gives more meaning to that relationship and those events. It's so great you're open to that, Joel.
We'll be walking at the same time, but different parts of the Camino. I'll definitely say a prayer for Robert too.

Thanks Viranani, indeed he is quite the kid, now 38 yrs of age and the oldest of my four grandsons; a beautiful soul and my ardent supporter as was my entire family when I announced that I was going to walk the Camino, though they didn't seem all that surprised. From the younger boys, I heard "Awsome"! a lot. My oldest is a bit more reflective. How blessed am I.

@Viranani thank you very much

€60,-
Well,I really appreciate your sentiment.
I was due to begin my journey today ....now( I was going with my 2 adult children ). I had planned it all and did not realize the depth of mental as well as physical preparedness that I had done. Well, I did not expect to need an urgent spinal operation 2 weeks ago so as I chatted to them via " whats app" apron their arrival in Paris 15 min ago , I realize the mental part is very important too.
Do it...... and then appreciate that sometimes the Camino does choose you. I am forced to have a full months vacation, with all exp etc paid ( disability insurance etc) ,my practice covered by a locum ( as I was off to walk) my house ,wife etc sorted ( I was going to be away) and for the first time in my life, I am really really resting( physically), mentally frustrated but determined to try again next yr.... Does the Camino choose you ? The simple answer is ....yes!

Well,I really appreciate your sentiment.
I was due to begin my journey today ....now( I was going with my 2 adult children ). I had planned it all and did not realize the depth of mental as well as physical preparedness that I had done. Well, I did not expect to need an urgent spinal operation 2 weeks ago so as I chatted to them via " whats app" apron their arrival in Paris 15 min ago , I realize the mental part is very important too.
Do it...... and then appreciate that sometimes the Camino does choose you. I am forced to have a full months vacation, with all exp etc paid ( disability insurance etc) ,my practice covered by a locum ( as I was off to walk) my house ,wife etc sorted ( I was going to be away) and for the first time in my life, I am really really resting( physically), mentally frustrated but determined to try again next yr.... Does the Camino choose you ? The simple answer is ....yes!
It's one of those things that better left alone than try to explain it. I do feel that no one chooses the Camino, it chooses you.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, responses and suggestions. I will keep everyone posted on Robert's recovery and my Camino.
I leave April 4 from California. I haven't even made my first step away from SJPDP and I already have my first group of Camino Family.
Buen Camino!

Joel
Joel -
The camino calls - we answer in our own very individual ways. The very best to you and to your beloved comrade as each of you walk the paths now you find yourselves on.
much love and Buen Camino!

Kerstin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Joel -

When you receive your compostela(s) at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, ask if they still have one of the large leather-bound registers where pilgrims write dedications and messages to loved ones. I wrote a dedication to my parents (both deceased - Dad in 1982 and Mum in 2007) for giving me my life and for their love and care, in one of the registers back in 2012. You could write a message honouring your friend and the friendship that you have in that register. It will be a permanent testimony of the wonderful friendship that you share - something of the both of you that remains in Santiago.

My very best wishes, thoughts and prayers for your friend, and for you with your upcoming Camino.

Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back