• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monteagudo de Salinas - Acogida closed?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Last year in Monteagudo, we stayed in the Rincón de Sandra, a casa rural at the top of the village. We were also told that there is a municipal acogida option, and I think it was a mattress or two in the library. Alvaro Lazaga is currently walking and has stated in today's video that the acogida is no longer available, so they are also in Rincón de Sandra.

I guess this means that Sandra is the only option, just a heads up for those who like to limit themselves to albergues and acogida.

The other interesting tidbit on that video is that Álvaro has finally succumbed to common sense and is now using wikiloc. No more getting lost for him.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I suspect the acogida is for when Rincón de Sandra is unavailable for some reason - no Spanish village is going to let you sleep on the street, but nor are they going to provide free accommodation when there are conventional options. When we stopped in Monteagudo, the Rincón was in fact full so she opened up what we suspect was a family property at the bottom of the village. No complaints, it was actually quite luxurious, but no mention of an acogida. Personally, I feel that the kindness and hospitality we met on the Lana was almost overwhelming at times and I wouldn´t want to take it for granted. As for using Wikiloc on the Lana, it´s not just common sense, it is self preservation.

I guess this means that Sandra is the only option, just a heads up for those who like to limit themselves to albergues and acogida.

There is (was? 2019) also the Villa de Pedalillo on the left as you approach the village. Magwood said in her blog: “Villa de Pedalillo is a quirky mix of bar / restaurant / pensión / albergue. Apparently there are beds in the attic as a sort of albergue, but it was full when we enquired.”

When I went through Monteagudo in May El Rincon was full but Sandra put me up in the two bedroom flat mentioned above.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"atajo" that his good buddy Cari found on wikiloc,
That is the drawback of Wikiloc - you are dependent on whoever recorded the original track. We mainly followed ludoperegrinus (I think that´s right) who only really let us down on the last day where he, and numerous others, ignored the sign apparently pointing across a field and followed a cart track until it veered obviously off in the wrong direction and we had to bush-bash back onto the track.

I suspect the acogida is for when Rincón de Sandra is unavailable for some reason - no Spanish village is going to let you sleep on the street, but nor are they going to provide free accommodation when there are conventional options. .
Actually that wasn't the case when I walked the Lana in 2019. I passed by the casa rural and walked up towards the ayuntamiento. A local showed me the way and the mayor even welcomed me and opened the library. When she heard that I hadn't had a coffee all day she took me to the local centro and made me one! Later her husband brought over a mattress to the library. There was no shower but luckily a toilet. The welcome was very warm. Maybe the mayor has changed?

Regarding Wikiloc, my experience from Alicante to Cuenca was that there was only one stage through vineyards that a gps route would have been appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually that wasn't the case when I walked the Lana in 2019. I passed by the casa rural and walked up towards the ayuntamiento. A local showed me the way and the mayor even welcomed me and opened the library. When she heard that I hadn't had a coffee all day she took me to the local centro and made me one! Later her husband brought over a mattress to the library. There was no shower but luckily a toilet. The welcome was very warm. Maybe the mayor has changed?

Regarding Wikiloc, my experience from Alicante to Cuenca was that there was only one stage through vineyards that a gps route would have been appreciated.
That’s nice to hear. I remember those vineyards. Between Alicante and Cuenca, the local associations are very mostly very active, especially on the Sureste which overlaps the Lana some of the way. After Cuenca, where Castilla La Mancha is sadly depopulated, it is a different story. It would be well nigh impossible to follow the Lana without GPS. There aren’t even any locals to ask.

The screen shot on his video, though shows him following an "atajo" that his good buddy Cari found on wikiloc, so I can't really vouch for the common sense involved here. If you watch the video, it was quite the slippy slidy climb up out of a dry river bed.

OK, I get why he did that because the Camino turns 180 degrees at one point and goes back to where it started, on the other side of the river of course. Those are the 2 kms he cut off with the "atajo" as he says in the video. But this stroll is the most beautiful part of this stretch IMO so I would never make that shortcut. It seems they struggled quite a bit to get up from the river bed as well.

I suspect the acogida is for when Rincón de Sandra is unavailable for some reason - no Spanish village is going to let you sleep on the street, but nor are they going to provide free accommodation when there are conventional options. When we stopped in Monteagudo, the Rincón was in fact full so she opened up what we suspect was a family property at the bottom of the village. No complaints, it was actually quite luxurious, but no mention of an acogida. Personally, I feel that the kindness and hospitality we met on the Lana was almost overwhelming at times and I wouldn´t want to take it for granted. As for using Wikiloc on the Lana, it´s not just common sense, it is self preservation.
x I also was offered the "family property" at the bottom of the village while on the lana in Sept 2023. Sandra picked me up on the outskirts of town and drove me to the accom via a local tienda which is located in a villager's casa. I received a warm welcome from Sandra and the locals. Sandra also phoned ahead and booked a room for me at the next village. I also found that I would have been hopelessly lost on a number of occasions without my App ( Mapy.cz ).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is (was? 2019) also the Villa de Pedalillo on the left as you approach the village. Magwood said in her blog: “Villa de Pedalillo is a quirky mix of bar / restaurant / pensión / albergue. Apparently there are beds in the attic as a sort of albergue, but it was full when we enquired.”

When I went through Monteagudo in May El Rincon was full but Sandra put me up in the two bedroom flat mentioned above.
Last year in June, I was due to stay there… in the house/villa on the right, opposite the closed restaurant, with the two guys. But they were out for the day and I arrived much earlier so I stayed at Sandra’s.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back