• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More people the closer to Santiago?

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
When I walked in September (from Leon) there were big crouds of people at the last stages (no offense to anyone), as many times mentioned by others. This spring my only opportunity is to walk at another high season starting on 30 April, this time STJPDP-Leon. According to your experience (and based on recent years), can I expect crowds from the start, or will there be more people the closer to Santiago? Can't see this in the statistics, don't know if peoples starting points are registered at the pilgrims office. Hope I asked precisely; did, last and previous years, most people walk from STJPDP or did most start later?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
April and May are very busy months for people leaving SJPDP. From SJPDP to Pamplona albergues can fill up at peak times - it may be worth booking ahead. After Pamplona people tend to be better spread out as there are more places to stay and people can choose their own stages more easily.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unless you are in a bed race, just start later in the morning. I used transport, made reservations, and had absolutely no desire to finish by 1:00 PM or start before 8:00-9:00 AM. I am very big on photography and finishing at 1:00 is wasting half the day. But that’s ME. If you start real early, you will probably be with the hordes all the time. It does, however, become more populated from Sarria onward, ESPECIALLY if you set out early.

I started about a week after your planned start date. Just one person's experience from starting at that time several years ago, but for what it's worth (maybe not much) I did not notice any increase in numbers of pilgrims until I got to Leon. Yes, there are a few choke points where you will see more pilgrims. Roncevalles is one of them, so booking ahead for your first day in SJPDP and then for your night in Roncevalles (assuming you are not stopping in Orisson, which is also a very nice first stopping point) is a good idea.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In my experience the first days before Pamplona from SJPdP can get a little crowded. For example the common day 2 stop (Zubiri)... I reserve in advance SJPdP, Ronces or Burguete, and then either Zubiri or just hoof it all the way to Pamplona.

After that I don't recall any issues through Leon.

Watch out for Mother's Day (May 5 in 2024)... but really only because sometimes the restaurants are all booked for dinner depending on where you are.

Hola @Damien - I agree completely with those comments. From St Jean to Pamplona there are a limited number of places to stay so it can feel very crowded. From Pamplona onwards the accommodation choices to improve significantly. Cheers

On 30+°C days an early start and finish is essential for me!
And

There are so many personal variables with regard to what the best walking times and conditions are. My comment was simply one possible solution to the “crowd” issue, and it worked like a charm for ME. I am a sunshine, blue sky person and, as mentioned above, very “into” photography. A 30° day in the sunshine wouldn’t bother me a bit, but a 10° day with clouds and rain would send me hunting for the nearest bus, train, or taxi. I do not DO rain and I despise, almost as strongly, gray and ugly cloudy days. But, that’s ME. I expect many others would prefer it to be cloudy and cool EVERY DAY. But, that’s THEM.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From my personal experience, which is limited to one Francés and one Primitivo, and from what others told me, it generally gets more crowded on the last 100k . But on the Francés before the last 100k I would not say it is a constant increase the closer you get. Some stretches seem more busy than others. This must be as many people do not walk it in one go, some stretches are also crowded by non pilgrims just walking a specific stretch and some hop over certain stages by bus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I walked in September (from Leon) there were big crouds of people at the last stages (no offense to anyone), as many times mentioned by others. This spring my only opportunity is to walk at another high season starting on 30 April, this time STJPDP-Leon. According to your experience (and based on recent years), can I expect crowds from the start, or will there be more people the closer to Santiago? Can't see this in the statistics, don't know if peoples starting points are registered at the pilgrims office. Hope I asked precisely; did, last and previous years, most people walk from STJPDP or did most start later?
If you are only going as far as Leon, the beginning part , as far as Pamplona perhaps, should be the most crowded part. The first week of May is historically one of the busiest times for this section, and it is starting to spill over into the end of April. After Pamplona things will spread out and won't get busier again until after Leon and especially after Sarria, but you won't have to worry about those parts of the route if you are stopping in Leon.

I started from SJPDP 10 days later than you back in 2022 (May 10). There were very few crowds the entire way until I got to Leon, but even then it was not problematic. It wasn't until I got to Sarria that the huge crowds began. It didn't help that it was the time of the year that local schools charter busses of teenagers to hike a couple days on the Camino. The last 100 KM were pretty much wall to wall people when the big groups went by. It was a matter of pacing yourself to remain between the big groups.

It's unavoidable the last 100 KM because that's the minimum you need to hike to get a Compostela. My advice, just relax, pace yourself between the major groups and consider it another experience on the Camino.

I would consider pre-booking at Zubiri. When we ere there in April, we saw many pilgrims in a panic because there were no beds in the village left. They had to arrange taxis to take them elsewhere. That's too much stress to deal with after a long day walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would consider pre-booking at Zubiri. When we ere there in April, we saw many pilgrims in a panic because there were no beds in the village left. They had to arrange taxis to take them elsewhere. That's too much stress to deal with after a long day walking.
Thanks for your reply, I've decided to walk a different route. But there are certainly others who appreciate your recommendation.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back