• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitoes

cearc

Hi All
This is my first time to (try to) post a message.
I am starting my first camino walk in Astorga on August 27th.
One question: Are mosquitoes a problem along the way? Is it necessary to take precautions?
Thanks,
Cearc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Right now there are TONS of mosquitos about in the evening. If they really bother you, bring along a little bug spray.
That said, bug spray is one of the items most often left behind by pilgrims concerned about extra weight. Maybe you should just wait til you get here, start out, and see if there´s a problem. You can buy bug spray in Spain.

reb

Reb, do you know if the mosquitoes are bad in June? Just curious as I plan for next year.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Normally I get eaten alive by mossies or any other little biting/stinging creatures but I found taking vitamin B12 for 2 weeks before I left and during the walk seemed to work. The time of year was not peak mosquito time so maybe supplement by using light spray bought locally. Good luck. Nell

I do like good info!

another possibility is to bring a mossie hat net ... it is a mossie net that goes over your hat and there is a shoulder tie cord ... only keeps them off your face of course but works for those horrid midges as well - and if you are careful you can drink wine through it too ..

just put mosquito head nets or mosquito hat nets into google .. very light very cheap wear them just for the evenings when they all rise .. can also wear them in bed ... just a thought

Deep Woods Off in towlette packs - light and portable.

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our daughter uses a spray on her clothes (Deet) before travelling to 'mozzie zones'. It lasts several washes. Then she only needs repellent on exposed skin.
I like the idea of a mozzie net hat, but at night won't it rest on your face so that you still get bitten?
Terry's sleeping bag liner was insect repellent. He used the pillow end inside out (put his head in it) as he posted elsewhere! (Albergue pillow sizes)
Tia Valeria

I wondered that about the hat netting resting on the skin but apparently you spray it with the stuff and allow it to dry and then they won't land on it (not tested by me but it will be in about 4 weeks) :wink:

I find it´s not my face and head that are so attractive to the bugs, it´s my ankles.

Seriously, the mosquitoes I´ve encountered in Spain are nothing compared to other parts of the world. It´s the spiders and fleas and bedbugs that I find most pesky!

Even those aren´t anything beyond average in size, scope, and viciousness. Nothing to write home about, especially if home is somewhere swampy and southern. If you´re allergic, bring along some antihistamine. You really have nothing to worry about.

Reb.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a refugion (?) I'm not surprised you focus there .. for me it is Hornets ... just too big and too fast and just too suspiciously intelligent eyes ... :shock:

(spiders 'over there' are fine for me, spiders 'in my bed with me' are definitely not!)

From the Pacific Crest Trail, Oregon, USA two weeks ago from a hiker in full bug netting, head to boots, after just 20 hours of hiking:

"Mosquitoes are forever.
The leg fatigue goes away when you rest; the mosquitoes are 24/7
The thirst goes away when you drink; the mosquitoes are 24/7
The 90 degree heat ebbs at dust; the mosquitoes are 24/7
The bad liteweight food nourishes; the mosquitoes are 24/7
The 38 pound pack weight lightens daily as food is consumed; the mosquitoes are 24/7

Just before I decided to hike out, I met a southbound hiker who had spent the last 8 nights cooking in his tent to escape the bugs--and waiting until his body was in agony before dressing in full rain gear to leave and go to the bathroom. And he noted that the bugs were even worse a few days north in Sisters Wilderness. This was as I was looking at about one mosquito per square inch resting on my bug suit.

SO, in keeping with 'discomfort, yes; misery no,' I am back home."

"If you think 'small' is insignificant, try spending the night with a mosquito."

I don't know the origin of this quote, but it says it all!
Tia Valeria

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back