• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 3 "must stay" albergues in the norte

Sorolla

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hi all;
If I had to say what are my 3 favourite albergues up to now (I reached Navia so far) I would recomend;
Orio, next to san sebastian, Rosa and her sister are great people, the albergue has "spa" style showers, big yard, nice mountains views and tasty dinner!
Markina; Aterpetxe albergue, new, clean, comfy, run by a friendly couple big yard with hammocs to rest, and good meal
Muros de Nalon, Casa Carmina recently open, spotless, with huge yard to enjoy, very nice bar and also good food for a reasonable price.
If these places fit your trip plan do not doubt to enjoy the stop at these albergues
Tell us your top 3 !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In
Hi all;
If I had to say what are my 3 favourite albergues up to now (I reached Navia so far) I would recomend;
Orio, next to san sebastian, Rosa and her sister are great people, the albergue has "spa" style showers, big yard, nice mountains views and tasty dinner!
Markina; Aterpetxe albergue, new, clean, comfy, run by a friendly couple big yard with hammocs to rest, and good meal
Muros de Nalon, Casa Carmina recently open, spotless, with huge yard to enjoy, very nice bar and also good food for a reasonable price.
If these places fit your trip plan do not doubt to enjoy the stop at these albergues
Tell us your top 3 !
Intxauspe, in Markina, not Aterpetxe. Yes, lovely stay in a converted chicken coup. You can also stay there in the pension. Love the lawn chairs in the frint yard to rest on. Casa Piedad in Boo de pielagios for a real bed, fully made, with duvet and a real bathroom with real towels, and Piedad's 2 young sons for entertainment. Only a rooftop terace for rest, but a lovely family. Casa de Hidalgos in Santillana for a trip back to the middle ages, until you see the washrooms and are transported into the future. In Noya, at the Cason, or la Casona, something like that, nist off the main plaza, the 1 room they reseve for pilgrims at pilgrim rates - a gem considering thr disaster the real albergue is. Lovely family owned business.

Last edited by a moderator:
In

Intxauspe, in Markina, not Aterpetxe. Yes, lovely stay in a converted chicken coup. You can also stay there in the pension. Love the lawn chairs in the frint yard to rest on. Casa Piedad in Boo de pielagios for a real bed, fully made, with duvet and a real bathroom with real towels, and Piedad's 2 young sons for entertainment. Only a rooftop terace for rest, but a lovely family. Casa de Hidalgos in Santillana for a trip back to the middle ages, until you see the washrooms and are transported into the future. In Noya, at the Cason, or la Casona, something like that, nist off the main plaza, the 1 room they reseve for pilgrims at pilgrim rates - a gem considering thr disaster the real albergue is. Lovely family owned business.
Yes you are right, aterpetxe is the vasque word for albergue, Im not fluid on it. About the chicken coup, I dont know if you are ironic. Anyway I liked it a lot

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes you are right, aterpetxe is the vasque word for albergue, Im not fluid on it. About the chicken coup, I dont know if you are ironic. Anyway I liked it a lot
No, Inxauspe is in Basco, as for the chicken coup I thought it was a brilliant way to use an otherwisw unsued building to good use so this familly could keep the property. Spaniards are brilliant at building rehabs.

Mine would be in Orio as well - what a piece of heaven with that seperate kitchen room! next was the albergue llanes in playa de poo, 15 euros but another slice of heaven, dinner, coffee/wine/beer for purchase, and a whole outdoor retreat with couches, hammocks, and an orchard/garden. also less than .5 miles from the beach. other favorite was the albergue de Javi or "Aves de Paso" in Pedruozo - actually this was our most favorite! all by donation, Javi washed and dried our clothes, prepared a wonderful home cooked three course meal with wine, and breakfast in the morning, what a God send, needless to say our donation was more than we paid for other hostels because of the hospitality.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.