• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My best purchase for my last Camino-front pack/pouch

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Nothing in it for me...I don't even remember the name of the guy who I cooresponded with to get it BUT do remember he emailed me back instantly and did ship instantly.

I ordered a front pouch from Zpacks...there is another brand of a front pack that looked like it sat closer to the belly and I feared I would not beable to see the ground.

I took the chance and ordered the Zpack and the guy did email me saying if it didn't work on my pack I could return it. I held my guidebooks in this, pen, phone any papers I got from the local tourist office (more so on the Norte than on the Frances). I put my apple or orange etc... in here.
Edited to add and pilgrim's passport, regular passport and money...it hold a lot!
Having my guidebook in there for easy access was wonderful. The only downfall was that my book was the go to book since it was easy to grab :)

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Easy to attach to backpack and took weight off of the back and I wondered if counted some of that weight as well as I my pack felt so much better on the Norte than it did on the Frances.

Neve

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wish I saw this before I left. I had gotten a pack from Rei and while it could hold a lot, it felt to big. So pretty much my 28l Deuter is holding it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

This year I used an Osprey GrabBag and used it for small change, lollies, the medication I needed for the day, my walking pole tips when I was walking on soft ground, a couple of muesli bars, etc. I was initially doubtful about its utility, and certainly if my pack had pockets on the waist belt I wouldn't have taken it. That said, it was incredibly useful. It took a little time to get used to unclipping it when I was taking off my pack, but it soon became a matter of routine.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I always carry a cross body bag underneath my pack, so that it never has to come off. In it I kept my credencial, passport (and a photocopy of my walking companion's passport), credit cards and money, mobile/camera, lip balm, sun stick, any daily meds, snacks and the day's map. The bag came into the shower with me, if necessary in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet, and went under my head wrapped in a scarf and my fleece at night. I found it a lot easier to use than a bum bag/waist pack which has buckles in the same general area as the belt on my backpack or a front pouch which is attached to the pack harness. It also looks a bit more non-pilgrimmy when out and about sightseeing in cities (oh, the vanity ...).
Doug: I also have the Osprey GrabBag but found it too clever/fiddly for me so I have put two keyring rings on the corner loops and attached a long cross body strap with strong plastic clips and now use it as a cross body bag for walks in the area. The shape is a bit strange but as long as I don't need to keep anything like a passport and credencial in it, it works brilliantly.

I have used the OMM Trio Chest Pack on my last couple of Caminos. They come with the simple bits to attach to any pack..not just the OMM pack as one of the reviews below seem to indicate. Easy on and off and can be left attached to pack when taking pack off.

I did not find it in North America. I ordered from Johnson Sports in Northern Ireland.
They will quickly respond to any email question.
emailto: Sales@Jackson-Sports.com

Two reviews:
http://v-g.me.uk/GearTech/GearTech-Equipment-OMMTrioRV.htm
and http://www.petesy.co.uk/omm-exclusive-1-trio-chest-pouch/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing in it for me...I don't even remember the name of the guy who I cooresponded with to get it BUT do remember he emailed me back instantly and did ship instantly.

I ordered a front pouch from Zpacks...there is another brand of a front pack that looked like it sat closer to the belly and I feared I would not beable to see the ground.

I took the chance and ordered the Zpack and the guy did email me saying if it didn't work on my pack I could return it. I held my guidebooks in this, pen, phone any papers I got from the local tourist office (more so on the Norte than on the Frances). I put my apple or orange etc... in here.
Edited to add and pilgrim's passport, regular passport and money...it hold a lot!
Having my guidebook in there for easy access was wonderful. The only downfall was that my book was the go to book since it was easy to grab :)

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Easy to attach to backpack and took weight off of the back and I wondered if counted some of that weight as well as I my pack felt so much better on the Norte than it did on the Frances.

Neve

I am in Sarria on my second, full Camino Frances (from St. Jean Pied de Porte). My ZPacks chest bag is wonderful. Here are some thoughts based on live field experience.

I thought of moving often accessed items like guidebooks, snacks, notebook, etc. from the rucksack to the front last year, based on my observation of the folks from Australia and New Zealand with the radically different Aarn backpacks with front balance pockets. However, it occurred to me that, while shifting the center of balance and making small, often needed items readily available, there had to be a less expensive and less complicated arrangement.

My present solution (here seen at Sahagun) used the ZPacks chest bag

image.jpg

suspended lower so it rides on my belly. This provides a place to rest my hands while walking across the Meseta. It helped prevent swelling when I was not using my walking poles. All in, this bag moves about 1 kg or a little over 2 pounds to the front.

In addition, I use "Drink n' Go" bottle clips from www.niteize.com to hang 2 half-liter water bottles from the front of my rucksack harness. My Osprey Kestrel, and most other rucksacks, have horizontal attachment points for clip-on items, on both shoulder straps.

So, this combination shifts nearly 2 kg or 4.5 pounds from the rucksack to the harness front, where they are rapidly available. You can actually feel the weight shift and increased comfort. The Aarn folks are definitely on to something.

As a final point, earlier on this Camino I saw a fellow with a chest/belly pack made by Salomon. While I did not have the chance to speak with him, I did a web search and learned that it is rated at 5 liter capacity, AND it has two mesh bottle pockets. I will be researching that when I get home. The ZPacks chest bag holds maybe 2 liters or so.

The Aarn engineering principle of redistributing weight to the front to shift the center of gravity and resultant stress on the body is a sound idea. I just believe there are simpler, less expensive alternatives that can be fitted to nearly any rucksack.

I hope this helps someone.

Something I did not purchase but got on the plane was a small amenities bag that fits on my belt or pack strap to hold my pen knife, creams, fishermens friends etc a real godsend - add to your list fishermens friends lonzengers they help your breathing on climbs

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I like, need, to see my feet, so two separated front pouches work best for me. But regardless of that, anything that helps redistribute the weight is a good idea. And it is unbelievably useful to have frequently used stuff in front.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back