• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino '11 - Lessons learnt

sun is shining

Heya everyone - First of all a big, big Thank You to all of you for your help, advice and encouragement. This forum has been a great source for advice and I am sure that my Camino would have been very different if I would have not found it.

So yeah, back at home after 5 weeks in Spain on the Camino. Well, I've been at home for a month now and my feet start to look normal again and not full of blisters anymore :) Peter is still suffering a bit from his tendinities but his GP said that it should be better within the next month. My facebook is full of new Camino friends and with pictures that make me want to get back as soon as possible. The "going back" will probably be a few years but I deffinitaly want to walk the Camino again. This time hopefully making the whole way without having to skip ahead.

The reason why we did nt alk the whole way was that Peter got Tendinitis after Burgus and we had to hitchhike back after a night in Hornillos to get to the hospital. The lovely cleaning lady from the albergue saved us from being stranded in Hornillos and drove us back to burgos and even came to the hospital to translate. I will never forget what a lovely person she has been and whenever I think of the Camino I will remember my camino angel.

Once in Burgos the doc told us that Peter needed at least 5 rest days which was quite an experience. We had to stay in a pension which cost loads of money and it meant that we had to eat out a lot as we had no kitchen. The good thing was that I found mt new favourite food outlet - Peccadilloes!

The second walk to Hornillos was horrid - simply because we were so worried about his knee that I asked him every 2 seconds if he was ok. We made it there alright and things started to look up from there. If it wouldnt have been for his knee we wouldnt have met some of the nicest people we ever met and with whom we walked to Leon. In Leon it was time to catch a train to Sarria. The doc said that there was no way that Peter could walk the mountains with his knee. Quite a hard thing to do and a lot of tears were flowing at the train station.

The rest of the walk went fairly smoothly and we reached Santiago in time with some friends we made from before our rest in Burgos. After a day there we walked on to Fisterra and rached the End of the World 36 days after starting to walk from Logrono.

It has been very intense, happy, sad, exciting, boring - everything at the same time. It took a lot of time to start "thinking" and getting rid of the white fluff in my mind but once I reached that state I got my thinking done.

A couple of things that I have learnt for my next trip:

- invest in good gear - no money saving here!
- take a pair of hiking shoes and hiking sandles - sandles and socks might look stupid but are great to walk in if your feet swell on too much for your shoes.
- needles and thread for blisters
- small SD cards instead of one big one - if you loose your camera you at least dont loose to many pics.
- Take a few cloth pecks, they come in handy if you want to dry your stuff and it is windy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your comments are great. I am glad you had a good time. Are you going back for more? :arrow:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi sun is shining,
Great to hear of your success.
You get there any way you can. Well done.
Col

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I started coming closer to Santiago I started to be terrified of the idea of going home - eventually I re-sceduled my flight and walked on to Fisterre. Arriving there was not as joyful as I thought it would be and actually going home was incredebly hard. just didnt want to leave and get back to my life.

Once back in the UK I fell in a black hole for about a week until I went for a 20mile hike - and I felt good again. The next day I signed up for our university cheerleading time - something I would have never even dreamed about pre-camino. But those 5 weeks in Spain had shown me how much I enjoyed the physical activity and has given me the confidence to try something new. I was never a sporty person but after 3 months back at home and doing cheerleading twice a week I can touch my toes without bending my knees and do splits. I've met amazing new friends and feel so much better.

Yes, the camino hasn't been easy and it surely hasnt been as simple and fun as I imagined it to be - but it has changed my life in the most amazing way possible. None of my friends here can understand ho important my time in Spain has been but I'm sure that most of you will.

Right now I dont feel like I "need" another camino, however, I do want to come back for one week next year to walk with one of my dearest camino friends to Santiago. He had to quit in Leon and I promised to join him again next year.

I'll be forever grateful for my camino experience and I'm sure I will be back in the future.

Thanks to everyone here o the forum for being amazing!

Mucho amor y luz a todos!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back