• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

MY CAMINO QUESTIONS.....

S

susiew

MY CAMINO QUESTIONS

HI TO ALL WHO CAN ADVISE ME

Accomodation in Eunate?If there are only 8 beds?How do you check up if there is space?

SILK LINERS were to buy them in South Africa? cost?

COMPEED? are they available in South Africa.Chemist dont seem to have heard of it??

Anyone out there taking electrolytes to help with the heat and dehydration issues?What make or name is used in Spain to buy along the way?

Spanish keyboards- computers! I beleive they are different to English ones or maybe just the names on the keys?What would they be?

Size of the postage box which can be bought from the post office in Spain to send a suitcase on ahead…and what weight can it be price wise? Send to Travelcenter Santiago Compostela or poste restante, which do you suggest and prices?

Worthy detours and what towns to bypass or stay longer?
Comments... do Leon and Burgos warrant a day for sightseeing?

Dangerous Highway to cross and walk along-side?Where are they?Do you suggest busing through those spots?

Would it be offensive to put a lock on my backpack?
Where to keep valuables- cash cards, passports ect….and when showering.Are there lockers?

In the bigger cities are pilgrims prey for muggers?[ I read this in one of my books...]

What do Cot beds and LITTER mean?

Sahagun –[is it worth to over night here for the sights?]
Which would you suggested .....to go via to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos
OR via El Burgo Ranero towards Mansilla de las Mulas????

Thread......Get yourself an EHIC card in case you do need treatment it saved me a lot of hassle.What and were do you get this card?

I will say thank you in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The EHIC(European Health Insurance Card) is only available to people from the EEC. It shows the holder is eligible for free medical treatment. Anyone who had one would be a bit unlucky if they ever had to use it.

Cot Beds are bunk beds.

Litter is rubbish. You'll see quite a lot of this strewn along the Camino.

A small lock on your backpack could do no harm.

Valuables, like credit cards, money, and passport: I carried them in a moneybelt. I wrapped it in a plastic bag when I was taking a shower.

Thank you Steve.Belfast

I thought LITTER meant a form sleeping accomdation i.e. Mattress on the floor as I had seen it mentioned in Albergue information!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
susiew said:
MY CAMINO QUESTIONS
Comments... do Leon and Burgos warrant a day for sightseeing?
Dangerous Highway to cross and walk along-side?Where are they?Do you suggest busing through those spots?
Where to keep valuables- cash cards, passports ect….and when showering.Are there lockers?
In the bigger cities are pilgrims prey for muggers?[ I read this in one of my books...]

Hi susie, Just a few comments to some of your questions.

Both Burgos and Leon are amazing cities, and many people do take a rest day to explore more, but it is a personal decision. I made sure I arrived reasonably early into both places to allow afternoon hours for exploration. I found I didn't want more: I was completely 'out' of city mode as I had been walking for so long. Maybe I will go back one day as a 'tourist' to see more of their treasures.

The highways I hated walking along the most were the ones into and out of Leon. I understand that something has now been done about the route into Leon, and that a new overbridge might even be in place. But nevertheless, I will catch buses into and out of that city *if* I ever walk that way again.

Many people have some kind of (plastic) bag to put their valuables in while they shower. Though space is often cramped, there is usually a hook that you can hang things on. There aren't usually lockers.

In some of the bigger cities in Spain, eg Madrid and Barcelona, it is often reported that pickpockets actively prey on tourists. However, there is very little crime reported along the Camino. So long as you take basic precautions like not leaving your passport/camera/wallet on your bed while you shower, you are unlikely to strike (m)any problems.

Margaret

Hi Susiew,
Eunate is stunning and a worthy detour. Cannot find a phone number in my documents but you'd have to check in early. If coming from Pamplona or Cizur Menor you'd be there by lunchtime.
Compeed is readily available from all pharmacies enroute so don't stress if you can't get it from home.
Spanish keyboards are tricky but letters the same. Play around to find @ which you need for emails. I asked someone, apologised to my recipients and sent garbled joyfilled messages to friends.
Recommend bus into burgos. We walked into Burgos and won't do it again. Spend the day enjoying the beautiful cathedrals in both cities. Well worth it.
We didn't have any trouble crossing busy highways. It is not really an issue and signage gives you warnings when caution is needed. The route is well marked and common sense especially when driving on different side of the road to home will help!
Really recommend taking all valuables to shower with you. Never leave valuables unattended. It is really rare to experience theft but it does happen. A fellow pilgrim had all his money taken when he left it in his bag and had dinner in the albergue. I had a security bum bag and locked it on the bed each night. Just use common sense precautions that you'd use on any trip.
Relax and enjoy the wonderful experience ahead of. Buen Camino,
Suzie Morgs

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think the "litter" you refer to is a "litera." Spanish for bunkbed.

I recommend the old Roman road route from Calzada del Coto, outside Sahagun. But only if you are fit, the weather is good, and you like wide-open spaces.

I think that most of the rest of your questions are answered on the myriad threads here on the board.

Hello Susie
Spanish keyboards- computers! I beleive they are different to English ones or maybe just the names on the keys?What would they be?

The Spanish keyboards are fairly easy but the @ is hard to find without help.
We think we held down 'Alt Gr' and '2'; and for web addresses the / and : are on the right hand side

Another, slower, way is to use the Character map, I use this for the ñ on my English keyboard.
Start ->All programmes->Accessories->System Tools->Character Map. Click the character/s you want then Select and Copy. (Perhaps someone can put this bit into Spanish)

Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My responses:
There is a secret place to stay before you arrive in Eunate, just a short distance. PM me if you'd like to know about it.

You can get silk liners on ebay.

I've never seen compeed until spain, but it is in every farmacia along the Way. About 6 euros per package with various sizes. I'd advise you buy some different sizes, and also some gel tubes for putting around toes to keep them from rubbing together in the beginning days.

I didn't use electrolytes... just plain spain water, which is excellent!

Keyboards are confusing for the first day or two, but not impossible. Just go for it... you'll figure it out.

I love the Travel Center, and found the folks running it to be especially helpful and inexpensive.

Leon and Burgos are both worth a day of sightseeing. Don't hesitate to visit any churches along the Way.. they are full of exquisite art, even those that appear to be nondescript. Take your time and see all you can. Don't bypass O-Cebreiro, although it's a tourist trap, it is beautiful! I also loved San Anton and be sure to stop for any fiestas along the way!

I personally would bus into Burgos next time and even into Leon... I didn't care for the industrial walking.

A lock on your pack wouldn't be offensive, but you might find it annoying yourself. Just don't take anything you can't afford to lose and relax! Leave the expensive stuff at home...

Not usually lockers. Put your passport, money, credit cards in a ziplock plastic bag and KEEP THEM IN YOUR MONEY BELT AROUND YOUR WAIST AT ALL TIMES.. Do NOT leave them with fellow pilgrims. Do NOT leave them in your pack. Do NOT put them on the bench outside the shower. Take them in with you. Have them in plain view AT ALL TIMES. Unfortunately, the very few thieves you will meet ARE there taking advantage, so use your street smarts and don't be too trusting. Sad, but true.

Never heard of anyone being mugged. But that said, don't be silly. Act as you would in any large city, avoiding dark alleys, etc. When you use an ATM, cover the keypad when you punch in the numbers.

BE SURE TO CALL your bank and tell them you will be in Europe or they could hold your funds, thinking your card was stolen. This has happened to more than one pilgrim!

Please carry a hankerchief to use when peeing along the trail. You can wash it out each night when you wash your laundry. Please do NOT leave toilet paper along the Way ... it is a disgusting thing for others to encounter.

I am one of those Americans with no medical insurance. I had no problems getting free or inexpensive help from local clinics set up to help pilgrims. For minor health problems (cold, flu, stomach upset) you can simply talk to the pharmacists, who are licensed to prescribe medication without seeing a doctor. Best cold/flu med I ever used was given to me in Santiago!

Have a wonderful Camino!

Electrolytes as a recovery drink at the end of the day are really refreshing if the weather is extremely hot. I took 20 sachets of "Gastrolyte", purchased in Canada on the Via de la Plata in April / May this year. The VdlP is a 40 day walk, and April/May is not the hottest time of the year.

I seem to remember a discussion about taking electrolytes under the Via de la Plata heading. If you try a search there for the word "gastrolyte," you will find the name of a spanish equivalent nearby.

It looks like most of your question are answered.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A highway I say to avoid would be the one right after you leave Villafranca Del Bierzo. Take the hill-ridge route which isn't clearly marked where it splits off from the road - hint its right after the bridge with the pilgrim statue.

oh and do take time to go to Finnesterre or as its known as Fisterra (not sure if its one s or two s') and to Muxia

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you can in addition to Eunate (which is worth a detour even if you can't stay there and there is an nice albergue at Obanos which is only 2km or so uptrack) I would recommend the Cistercian convent at Cana and the monasteries of Suso and Yuso all of which are off route between Azofra and Santa Domingo de Calzada. Santo Domingo is a lovely little town to use as a base for these detours and, if you're fed up of walking/have sore feet, maybe think about hiring a bike as an alternative to 'shanks mare' and give you feet a bit of a break at the same time?
When walking from Fromista to Carrion de los Condes, which has lots of 'by the side of the road' walking, I would recommend the following alternative :- take Brierleys option via Villovieco along the canal to Ermita Virgen del Rio and then, instead of taking the road into Villasirga at Ermita del Rio, take the little path heading North at the west end of the church and follow a track that bears left (west) though fields to Carrion de los Condes- this option had great panoramic views that you can actually enjoy without being distracted by sore feet and/or traffic/too many pilgrims. There are some old rusty Camino signs en route but you can also get a map of this alternative route in Miam mian dodo. Quite a number of french pilgrims take this option so when you come across any one with the MMD guide just ask to see the map of this section.
Pilgrims who took the road route arrived into Carrion looking hot,footsore and tired whereas we had a really lovely walk into the town.
Nell

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back