• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My faithful backpack has a little sibling

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Over 2000k my Osprey Talon has been a steadfast friend without doubt. My baby started carrying what I thought I wanted and ended carrying what I thought I needed without any complaint, showing me that it was as happy to use the excess capacity for post Camino t-shirts, presents, cheese and chorizo.
The only (very small criticisms) are that the hip-belt zips are difficult to fasten and the hip-belt buckle is on the small side along with the side pockets being inaccessible for the relatively inflexibility of my stiff old body along with concern of being on Ryanair's cabin allowance size (but I have never had a problem).

But after a few caminos with the inevitability rationalisations and consequential reductions in content weight and bulk I have succumbed to the lure of a shop! Still a fan of Osprey I have bought the Stratos 34. Actually still on the fringe of Ryanair's cabin allowance I really don't think I can go any lower as it is full for a Camino start.

Why did I do it? (not necessarily in priority order)
1. I think that I was persuaded by the airspeed suspension (like many I often find my back soaked in sweat).
2. The hip-belt buckle is more substantial so won't "bit" my slightly excessive frontal protrusion caused by and over fondness to Spanish fare (is there such a thing?)
3. Everything fits! (Except post Camino purchases, thus thankfully giving me an excuse to not waste time or to stress over finding and buying different trashy souvenirs for people whose patience I have already tested or more Camino T-shirts (surely I have enough already?). Also not buying cheese/chorizo for my addiction. All of which funds yet more marisco!
4. It helps my Camino winter blues to play with my new baby!

OK test run the other day. Cold day with a wet and muddy 20K. Because of the conditions it required quite a lot of "side path" activity on slopes (you know the ankle twisting stuff). What normally only takes 4 hours took nearly 5. The good news is that I hardly noticed the pack on my back. So the love is starting. I will always love old faithful and still say sorry every time I take the youngster out of the cupboard to play around with it. (Yes I freely admit I keep packing, rearranging how I do it and generally get accustomed to it, but hey - don't we all?)

So carried away that yesterday I finally made a decision that I has been taxing me for some time. Do I spend my birthday with friends in England and then go on my Camino from Burgos in late May or do I give in to my heart and start from SJPdP earlier and like last year enjoy it on the Camino? So yesterday I booked Stanstead to Biarritz on the 10th with Ryan dare. No more thinking needed - JUST COUNTING NOW!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
AL: I use the somewhat larger Osprey Kestrel 48, for many of the same reasons you mention, but mostly for all the organizational possibilities the rucksack provides. I like having as many pockets and lashing points as possible.

Between Caminos, I have been customizing the pack further by adding plastic "D" rings, and split rings (like a key ring), at additional places using the existing web straps, and sliders to contain the loose ends of compression and other straps to neaten the appearance and provide more options for attachment along the way. But, I very much like the ability to use a thin, long stretchy cord on the top of the pack for light things like ponchos or a fleece. I found a stretchy shoe lace that fits the bill perfectly. On my first Camino, I found the long, 3 mm "bungee cord to work brilliantly.

I also like having the option of strapping a sleeping bag, pad, or anything else to the bottom using the included and removable straps. I may not use many or any of these new enhancements I made. But, as they say, better to have it and not need it, than not have it and want it.

One other thing I did was add a lower sternum strap. I obtained it from Osprey direct. So, now I have a high sternum strap that cinches the shoulder straps high on my chest, and a second strap that comes across just above my stomach - (aka my "baby keg"). ;) The combined effect is to make the shoulder straps even more comfortable under load. Any sternum strap should fit as the vertical "rails" on the inside of the shoulder straps are more or less generic across brands.

You will like the Osprey Airscape back panel. :) It does indeed help keep your back dry. Also, if you use the included rain cover and wear a rain jacket instead of a poncho that covers the pack too, the Airscape panel helps keep the rucksack proper from getting soaking wet.

Being a stout fellow like you, I found the upgraded hipbelt on the Kestrel - I believe much the same as the Stratos - to be very comfortable. Just make sure you play with the adjustable back panel - using the "mother of all Velcro tabs" to lengthen or shorten the torso harness to suit.

However, being a similarly configured fellow, I am very curious how one does a five-week Camino, wearing clothing the size we must deal with, using a 34 liter rucksack. My goal has to been to carry everything I need, but inside the rucksack, with few or no "dangly bits" affixed to the outside unless necessary - like to dry something.

How do you manage it?

Between Caminos, I have been customizing the pack further by adding plastic "D" rings, and split rings (like a key ring), at additional places using the existing web straps, and sliders to contain the loose ends of compression and other straps to neaten the appearance and provide more options for attachment along the way. ]

I like this idea. Could you possible provide more details and/or a picture outlining how I would go about this?
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lynne:

The first thing you need to do is to measure the width of the straps you are trying to find hardware for. If you are in the States, you are using measurements like 1/2 inch, 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch. one inch. Overseas, each standard measurement has a metric equivalent in millimeters (mm). Most of the newest, brand name rucksacks seem to be using 3/4 inch webbing for their main straps and 5/8 inch or even 1/2 inch straps for things like attachments for sleeping bags, or side compression straps. I am even using a 1/8 inch diameter "bungee" shoe lace I found in a running store for a top-of-the-pack tie-down. Works like a charm and does weigh almost nothing..

The next thing you need to do is to conceptualize what you are trying to do so you know how many of what items you need to buy. For example if you are just trying to hold down all the loose ends on your adjustable straps, you might find that you need 4 to 6, 3/4 inch sliders (they look like flat number "8") and perhaps another 6 - 8, 5/8 inch sliders to hold down attachment and compression straps.

Okay, the next thing you need to consider is whether you want to add "D" rings anywhere for fast attachment points for small, light, plastic or aluminum carabiners, etc. Also, I found that you can combine a "D" ring with a slider easily. I have done this at at least six places on my rucksack. Seen as a cross-section, the strap passes into the slider, up and over the slider, through the "D" ring, and back out of the slider, resembling the Greek letter Omega "Ω." If the strap, slider and "D" ring are all the same size, the result is very nice.

I also found black coated, stainless steel split rings for key ring use. They mount fairly easily into the sewn, end tabs where straps and buckles are mounted by being sewn into the seams of your rucksack using short pieces of webbing. Depending on your gear-lashing strategy, this provides a quick and easy way to snap something onto your pack. The split rings are good for a location where you cannot remove the strap to insert a slider or a "D" ring.

The next thing you do, once you have a clue about what you are seeking to do is to do a Google / Bing search for "plastic buckles and rings."

Using the results, start drilling down to a provider that can provide you everything you want. Consider that prices tend to get better once you order at least 10 of one item. This depends on the vendor and the item. But many of these sliders, and rings cost perhaps USD 20 to 40 cents apiece, so we are not talking about a lot of money here. In fact, make sure you can order enough to justify the shipping cost. Again, this varies by vendor.

However, if you price a package of, say one-inch sliders in your local outdoor store, you will realize how much cheaper it is to buy bulk. I have a plastic, fishing lure box with changeable inserts to store the collection of plastic hardware bits I have accumulated over the years.

I found that the difficulty is finding someone who sells a wide variety of the smaller sizes. Just about everyone sells 1 1/2 inch and 2 inch wide webbing hardware. However, not many providers sell a wide variety of the smaller sizes. Here is the web source I use: http://www.buckleguy.com/plastic-hardware/

NOTE: I provided the direct link to the plastic hardware. You will have to back up to the main menu to look for split metal keyrings. I find that a one-inch diameter ring works for all the various mounting points on my pack. So, I just bought 10 of those.

There are, no doubt many, many other possible vendors out there. Also, for those who do not live in the States, running the same search on your local search engine should produce results you can use. One other point to make - all the plastic hardware I have found to date has been black. My webbing is all grey, so the overall effect is not bad.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Tim! This is fantastic!
The flapping straps on my pack have always irritated me, and I'd love to get them all stowed.
Your explanation is very thorough . . . . but . . . it's a good thing I LOVE puzzles!
Thanks for this great idea and explanation.

Some of the first equipment postings on the forum I read encouraged use of multiple use items. Here's a solution for dangling cords: Velcro cord ties (photos below).

Other uses for these Velcro cord ties are numerous:
- temporarily hanging a pack off the ground
- securing trekking poles upright on a bed frame to hang a drying line
- hanging a drying line
- hanging socks and other Velcro-loving clothing on a drying line
- temporary substitute for broken laces (with fabric loops, not eyelets)
- cinching excess poncho material
- hanging poncho to make a temporary shelter
- the list goes on and on

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1390780757.913235.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1390780808.046325.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Andreo. Yes It's a challenge. Like you I like everything inside the pack (just make it) and also hate dangling bits. I have only tried the Stratos 34 once for 20k in cool weather but it seems more comfortable than the Kestrel (which I love). Yes I like the integrated pack cover (which I forgot to mention above as one of the things that I was interested in having envied others with this facility last spring) as I prefer a coat to a poncho (I hate flapping bits too). I too tidy up the straps (dangly bits again) and add carabiners etc. My spare laces and carabiners also double as a clothes line and to hang my pack up when I want. Everything adds up to 7 kilos without water/food.

Andreo. Yes It's a challenge. Like you I like everything inside the pack (just make it) and also hate dangling bits. I have only tried the Stratos 34 once for 20k in cool weather but it seems more comfortable than the Kestrel (which I love). Yes I like the integrated pack cover (which I forgot to mention above as one of the things that I was interested in having envied others with this facility last spring) as I prefer a coat to a poncho (I hate flapping bits too). I too tidy up the straps (dangly bits again) and add carabiners etc. My spare laces and carabiners also double as a clothes line and to hang my pack up when I want. Everything adds up to 7 kilos without water/food.

Sheesh - 7 kilos all in? I am definitely doing something wrong. I am at 10 kilos now and fighting every gram as I plan. I admire your packing acumen. I will continue to work to sort it all before I leave in April. I have time.

It could be slightly less but I take 3 pairs of inners, outers, boxers, t-shirts, long sleeved shirts (obviously wearing one of each and carrying 2) as I don't like to wash every day and to cover those days where things don't dry. So I could lose a little more weight. The main thing is I only have a silk liner and don't have a sleeping bag. For May through September I find this is enough for me. You will be ahead of me again this year as I start from SJPdP on May 10th.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Over 2000k my Osprey Talon has been a steadfast friend without doubt. My baby started carrying what I thought I wanted and ended carrying what I thought I needed without any complaint, showing me that it was as happy to use the excess capacity for post Camino t-shirts, presents, cheese and chorizo.
The only (very small criticisms) are that the hip-belt zips are difficult to fasten and the hip-belt buckle is on the small side along with the side pockets being inaccessible for the relatively inflexibility of my stiff old body along with concern of being on Ryanair's cabin allowance size (but I have never had a problem).

But after a few caminos with the inevitability rationalisations and consequential reductions in content weight and bulk I have succumbed to the lure of a shop! Still a fan of Osprey I have bought the Stratos 34. Actually still on the fringe of Ryanair's cabin allowance I really don't think I can go any lower as it is full for a Camino start.

Why did I do it? (not necessarily in priority order)
1. I think that I was persuaded by the airspeed suspension (like many I often find my back soaked in sweat).
2. The hip-belt buckle is more substantial so won't "bit" my slightly excessive frontal protrusion caused by and over fondness to Spanish fare (is there such a thing?)
3. Everything fits! (Except post Camino purchases, thus thankfully giving me an excuse to not waste time or to stress over finding and buying different trashy souvenirs for people whose patience I have already tested or more Camino T-shirts (surely I have enough already?). Also not buying cheese/chorizo for my addiction. All of which funds yet more marisco!
4. It helps my Camino winter blues to play with my new baby!

OK test run the other day. Cold day with a wet and muddy 20K. Because of the conditions it required quite a lot of "side path" activity on slopes (you know the ankle twisting stuff). What normally only takes 4 hours took nearly 5. The good news is that I hardly noticed the pack on my back. So the love is starting. I will always love old faithful and still say sorry every time I take the youngster out of the cupboard to play around with it. (Yes I freely admit I keep packing, rearranging how I do it and generally get accustomed to it, but hey - don't we all?)

So carried away that yesterday I finally made a decision that I has been taxing me for some time. Do I spend my birthday with friends in England and then go on my Camino from Burgos in late May or do I give in to my heart and start from SJPdP earlier and like last year enjoy it on the Camino? So yesterday I booked Stanstead to Biarritz on the 10th with Ryan dare. No more thinking needed - JUST COUNTING NOW!

do you use a camelback with either Osprey bag? Also do you carry a bedroll or sleeping bag? I noticed that the 34 doesn't have the straps on the bottom
thanks Optimist!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.