• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My new backpack from Gregory

JoroAtanasof

Time of past OR future Camino
one too many
My first Camino in 2018 was a great experience except for one part - the equipment .
I was extremely unlucky with my choice of shoes and backpack :)
I solved my shoe problem when I bought Keen Newport sandals from the Caminoteca store in Pamplona and walked with them until Finisterra . I wish I had done the same with the backpack ...
By all means I bought a good backpack but it was made for mountaineering from Cordura material and it was heavy and because of the T shape frame- very uncomfortable it weighted almost 2 kg . So in 2019 I bought the Osprey Exos 38 and Stratos 36 . I ended up walking Camino Portugues with the Stratos and it was a really nice experience , I think back then this was one of the most recognizable models on Camino . What i did not like was the weight and the lack of large pockets on the hipbelt. In the beginning of 2020 I found the Mammut Ducan 30L backpack . I have to admit that I was under the influence of a couple long distance youtube channels so i was trying to minimize backpack weight a lot . The Ducan is an extremely lightweight 890g backpack with frame , also they used the same shoulders with pockets like the ones used on trail running vests . The only 2 disadvantages for me are the lack of hip support so in reality all the weight is on the shoulders , the other one is the lack of front mesh pocket and hip belt pockets . Never the less i walked Camino Primitivo and twice Camino Frances and the section from Irun to Santander with this backpack sometimes doing 40 + kms .
This year i plan to walk Del Norte staring from Bilbao but i wanted to try new backpack . I think I found a backpack with all the features that I want and this is Gregory Focal 38L . The weight is 1113 grams, it provides excellent hip support and all the pockets are easily accessible .
So this is my journey with Camino backpacks so far , perhaps someone already tested the Focal and can give me some feedback ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I ordered the Gregory Paragon 48 before i even finished my first Camino as my cheap backpack was breaking my heart. I wasnt carrying much but I had to keep tightening the straps. It was awful

Anyway, the Gregory is a decent pack. Not lightweight but it has room for my sleeping bag and second pair of shoes without hanging stuff off it or using straps-disadvantage with the larger bag is it doesn't fit in hand luggage. Also has bottom-opening zip (good for sleeping bag), huge net pouch at the front and pockets to the side, and a side zip (that I haven't found a use for). So, well thought out features.

I'd recommend the 3D hydro reservoir designed for it. Another problem with my old setup was the leaks but i havent had problems with this.

My first Camino in 2018 was a great experience except for one part - the equipment .
I was extremely unlucky with my choice of shoes and backpack :)
I solved my shoe problem when I bought Keen Newport sandals from the Caminoteca store in Pamplona and walked with them until Finisterra . I wish I had done the same with the backpack ...
By all means I bought a good backpack but it was made for mountaineering from Cordura material and it was heavy and because of the T shape frame- very uncomfortable it weighted almost 2 kg . So in 2019 I bought the Osprey Exos 38 and Stratos 36 . I ended up walking Camino Portugues with the Stratos and it was a really nice experience , I think back then this was one of the most recognizable models on Camino . What i did not like was the weight and the lack of large pockets on the hipbelt. In the beginning of 2020 I found the Mammut Ducan 30L backpack . I have to admit that I was under the influence of a couple long distance youtube channels so i was trying to minimize backpack weight a lot . The Ducan is an extremely lightweight 890g backpack with frame , also they used the same shoulders with pockets like the ones used on trail running vests . The only 2 disadvantages for me are the lack of hip support so in reality all the weight is on the shoulders , the other one is the lack of front mesh pocket and hip belt pockets . Never the less i walked Camino Primitivo and twice Camino Frances and the section from Irun to Santander with this backpack sometimes doing 40 + kms .
This year i plan to walk Del Norte staring from Bilbao but i wanted to try new backpack . I think I found a backpack with all the features that I want and this is Gregory Focal 38L . The weight is 1113 grams, it provides excellent hip support and all the pockets are easily accessible .
So this is my journey with Camino backpacks so far , perhaps someone already tested the Focal and can give me some feedback ?
In 2012 I actually returned my Osprey pack for a Gregory… I loved my Gregory! In 2023 the zippers started breaking but well earned I had done thousands of miles with it.

Gregory is now owned by Samsonite!!!!
Just sharing, I have no idea if that’s good or bad news.

My new Gregory , same model is soooo much lighter , but I’m not convinced that it’s not because of being more cheaply made or because of technology…
To be determined…

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did 3 long Caminos (shortest was Camino Francés from SJPP) and the Via Francigena from Turin to Rome with an Osprey Talon 42, which I really liked. I was intrigued by Gregory. I'm now walking from Valencia to Santiago using a Gregory Zulu 40. It's more compact and I'm extremely happy with options for changing weight distribution as I walk, which is critical on some of the 35-40km stages. I'm carrying roughly 9kg/20lb, but a bit more on stages w no services. I'd recommend Gregory.

I just bought a Gregory Zulu 40L pack for my next camino - must be the same pack as WisTom. I have a larger Gregory pack that I like, and I had walked my last two-month fall camino in an REI Traverse 35L, which seemed a touch small, is not nearly as well padded as the Gregory, and the torso length wasn't adjustable and probably didn't fit me as well as I'd like.

So far I like the fit of the 40L Gregory a lot. My only beef with Gregory is that I find the water bottle pockets a bit hard to navigate with the pack on. But I can live with that. Otherwise, I like Gregory packs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Meu primeiro Caminho em 2018 foi uma ótima experiência, exceto por uma parte – o equipamento.
Tive muito azar com minha escolha de sapatos e mochila:)
Resolvi meu problema com os sapatos quando comprei sandálias Keen Newport na loja Caminoteca de Pamplona e caminhei com elas até Finisterra. Queria ter feito o mesmo com a mochila...
Com certeza comprei uma mochila boa, mas era feita para montanhismo em material Cordura e era pesada e por causa da estrutura em formato de T - muito desconfortável pesava quase 2 kg. Então em 2019 comprei o Osprey Exos 38 e o Stratos 36. Acabei percorrendo o Caminho Português com o Stratos e foi uma experiência muito legal, acho que naquela época esse era um dos modelos mais reconhecidos no Caminho. O que não gostei foi do peso e da falta de bolsos grandes no cinto. No início de 2020 encontrei a mochila Mammut Ducan 30L. Tenho que admitir que estava sob a influência de alguns canais de longa distância do YouTube, então estava tentando minimizar muito o peso da mochila. A Ducan é uma mochila extremamente leve de 890g com moldura, além de usar os mesmos ombros com bolsos como os usados nos coletes de corrida de trilha. As únicas duas desvantagens para mim são a falta de apoio para o quadril, então na realidade todo o peso está sobre os ombros, a outra é a falta de bolso frontal de malha e bolsos para cinto. Mesmo assim caminhei o Caminho Primitivo e duas vezes o Caminho Francês e o trecho de Irun a Santander com esta mochila às vezes fazendo mais de 40 kms.
Este ano pretendo caminhar pelo Del Norte a partir de Bilbao, mas queria experimentar uma mochila nova. Acho que encontrei uma mochila com todas as características que desejo e esta é a Gregory Focal 38L. O peso é de 1113 gramas, oferece excelente suporte para o quadril e todos os bolsos são de fácil acesso.
Então essa é minha jornada com as mochilas Camino até agora, talvez alguém já tenha testado a Focal e possa me dar algum feedback?
Hi I'm currently researching the Gregory Focal 38 in size LG. I've seen several different measurements listed on various websites. Can you confirm that the correct dimensions are 69 x 36 x 31 cm?

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.