• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino

tiregirl

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
Hello, I too will be making my way along the Camino for the first time in May 2013. I will be in St Jean around the 28th of April and then off I go! I am a bit nervous of the Big Adventure ahead of me but just have to say Thank You to all of you for the information I have learned so far from reading about your past experiences. Maybe one day I can lend words of advice for future trekkers. I am 53 years old. When I told my kids of my plans the response was....Don't they have cars in Spain? What are you doing ma? Aah well, 'I'll see you if I see you', you'll recognize me as 'The Lady Crying Up The Hill Out of St Jean Pied De Port!' Buen Camino Everyone . Sandy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
tiregirl said:
...you'll recognize me as 'The Lady Crying Up The Hill Out of St Jean Pied De Port!'
No Sandy, you'll be the excited one chatting with her new friends! Just tell the kids that although they do have cars in Spain they're not really necessary there. :D Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I told my grown up sons I'm doing the Camino, one said "Why do you want to walk 500 miles across Spain?-just fly to Santiago". The other son said: "if you if you really want to do it-go for it" and my husband said "You know better than to question your mom when she has made up her mind". That was almost a year ago and will start my Camino on May 14th. Originally I was going by myself then my best friend found out about it and although she moved back to the Philippines she will come back to the U.S. to start our Camino. I have never hiked/camped in my life-always toured/cruised in comfort but the pull the Camino had on me made me train to walk carrying my backpack & I had never felt so energized & committed. This forum is such a great help-everybody seems to want to help especially first time pilgrims like me make the right choices. Now I am ready for my first Camino - so like what the veteran peregrinos/peregrinos say: Just go and enjoy! Buen Camino! By the way I'm a retired 68 yr old grandma.

Welcome to the quite large over 60s group. (I mean that there are a lot of over 60s, not substantially sized ones, although I am)! :lol:
allan

tiregirl said:
Hello, I too will be making my way along the Camino for the first time in May 2013. I will be in St Jean around the 28th of April and then off I go! 'I'll see you if I see you', you'll recognize me as 'The Lady Crying Up The Hill Out of St Jean Pied De Port!' Sandy

Hi Sandy and Elizabeth,
It will be my first Camino too, and I'm in my fifties, or 29 base 24 :) . You're starting a few weeks before I do, so I will miss you on the Way. I plan to start on May 31st from SJPdP.
I'm a bit nervous myself, but after reading the many posts on this forum, ( I think I'm addicted to the forum), I feel much better with the information that has been shared. I also thought I would be "the Lady Crying up the Hill", but now I am so excited knowing there are others like me.

Buen Camino!
~Bic

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the great words of encouragement. I feel like I am joining into a great group of like-minded people! Independent but supported from afar. I also feel like it is becoming an addiction to constantly be checking out the forum..."In case I forgot something" Tickets, CHECK...Passport, CHECK...comfy Hikers, CHECK...Kleenex for the hill out of St Jean, DOUBLECHECK and technically everything else is a "Bonus". I'm Good to Go!!! And now...WE WAIT.
Buen Camino! Sandy

I will also be on my first Camino starting end April. I fly from Canada to London and then get to SJPP via Bayonne on the 26th evening. Will wander around SJPP on the 27th and meet pilgrims and get information from the pilgrims office.
Start the Route Napoleon on the 28th if the weather allows, and have booked a place in Orisson for the night to break up the walk. At 66 I must not push too hard on Day 1.
Hope to meet you in SJPP or the Camino. I am 5'-7", with a white beard and a Asian complexion so won't to too hard to spot, though with all the gear and a big hat who knows what I will look like!
Very excited and am so looking forward to it. Have been training and equiping myself. Will find out if it has been enough when the rubber hits the road.

Hi Sandy,

I'm starting in SJPP in early May too (date tba), my first time. Look forward to seeing you on the path!

Buen Camino
Kat

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Kat, I'm leaving SJPdp May 10th, maybe see you on way - look for an old fart carrying a forum badfge (maybe that desribes a lot of us) :wink:
allan

Hello again, how is everyone doing on their packing? I have been wisely accumulating 'ultra light'this and 'quick dry' that. Then I took a walk around my neighbourhood and suddenly realized that I live in a beautiful location. Squirrels in the fir trees, deer crossing the trail, muddy impression of a bear footprint...that's when I realized, I'll be fine. Just Walk! But without all your help on this site...I think I would have trouble even putting one foot after the other. Cheers Everyone! Buen Camino

Hi Allan,

I ordered my forum badge today :)

I'll be the one stopping to take photos every step of the way, as well as smelling the flowers and absorbing the experience - i'm good at multi-tasking :)

See you there!

Kat

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You go girl, I too am in my fifties and will begin my journey out of St Jean on the 5th!!!
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back