• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Kit List

D

DavidsRetired

I realise I don't leave until April, but was just reviewing my kit list and was wondering if any experienced travellers can review and advise. Thanks, Dave

Kit List

1 x Osprey Aether 60 Backpack

PACKED

Accessories:

1 x Compact Sleeping Bag (-5°C / 23°F)
1 x Silk Liner
1 x Telescopic Walking pole
1 x Altus, Atmospheric Poncho (Brilliant piece of kit)
1 x Small First Aid Kit
1 x Headlamp flashlight
1 x Pocket Knife
1 x Pkgs Wind/Waterproof Matches
1 x Space Blanket
1 x Water Bottle (700 ml /24oz)
1 x Canon PowerShot Camera
1 x Pilgrims Guide Book - Camino de Santiago bt John Brierley (9th Edition)

Clothing/Essentials:

1 x Arcteryx Pants (Weather Resisted)
1 x Columbia Lightweight Convertible Pants
1 x The North Face Summit Series Fleece
1 x Paradox (Merino Blend, Light weight) Long johns
1 x Paradox Collared Log-sleeve (Merino Blend, Light weight) under shirt
1 x Tommie Copper Compression T-Shirt
2 x Merino Blend Underwear
2 x Merino Hiking Socks
1 x Quick Drying Hiking Towel
1 x Toiletries Bag
1 x Gloves
1 x Microfiber Buff/Neck Gaiter

WEARING

1 x Point Zero Soft Shell, Dry Tech Jacket
1 x Columbia Lightweight Convertible Pants
1 x Merrell Long sleeve (Opti-Wick) Collared shirt
1 x Merino Blend Short-sleeve T-Shirt
1 x Merino Blend Underwear
1 x Merino Hiking Socks
1 x Wide brim water resistant hat
1 x Original Swat Boots
1 x Watch
1 x BlackBerry Phone

Complete Carrying Weight of Backpack with Water = 10kgs / 23lbs
Combined kit weight, complete with boots and outerwear 13/kgs /29 lbs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The backpack seems large, and it weighs over four pounds empty!

I doubt you will use the space blanket, or need it for an emergency.

Perhaps one set of underwear too many. Wear one, carry one; wash each night.

Putting the trekking poles in your pack is adding a pound or two that may be unfair to you! Use them, don't put them in your pack. Then the ground carries the weight.

Think about the Arcteryx Pants. The Altus will keep you dry, mostly, and pants are a lot of trouble to get into and out of every time the rain starts or stops. I finally abandoned mine when I did three changes in an hour!

However, it is a good list!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I appreciate your feedback, thank you. In regards to the backpack, what size type would you recommend?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
David:

Your list is pretty good imo.

I would agree pretty much with Falcon's assessment.

Pack is too big and we have a tendency to fill space. I have an Osprey 46l pack and am looking smaller/lighter for this year.

Space blanket unnecessary
Long Johns not necessary but I have light weight rain pants if too cold.
sleeping bag might be too heavy unless you plan on camping. I switched from a North Face Cats Meow -7C/20f to a Marmot Aspen down Ultralight 40F. It is half the size and weight. You are always sleeping inside.
The Arcteryx pants also seem redundant with the Altus. That said, I prefer rain gear over Altus.

Ultreya,
Joe

I agree with Joe and Falcon. Leave either the rain pants or Altus. The Altus weighs in at close to a pound as I remember.
I have gone back to wearing very light weight rain pants and leaving the Altus. This requires a very good hooded rain jacket with sealed seams. Mine is Outdoor Research brand and is fairly light. The jacket and pants double for layering in cold/wind.

I would go much lighter on the sleeping bag. I also now just take one pair of cargo pants and wash when needed. Be sure they are quick dry.
The point, in my mind, would be to cut the weight (before water) to about 7 kg.
A lighter pack would help but you are probably locked into that one.

You are close.

Ed

Great suggestions already for reducing your load.

The backpack is definately too big. This is the backpack I use: http://www.rei.com/product/828433/ospre ... el-38-pack its the perfect size and prevents you from packing too much. You could go up to the next level if you wanted a bit more room.

I'm not a fan of ponchos, I watched many times people struggling to get it on and over their pack as the rain poured and often needed someone to give them a hand. I use a lightweight goretex jacket and quick-dry pants. With this method, you would be able to remove the poncho, the Arcteryx pants and swap one of your convertibles for the quick-dries (assuming they arn't already quick-dry?).

As Ed mentioned, try to get it down to 7kg by playing with the suggestions already offered up.

Let us know how you go :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Chocolate. You need chocolate. A great way to make friends. Well, vino helps too!

Fully excited for you. You're Camino has begun Dave. Really good list you have going.

¡Ultreia!

I used to take a lightweight rain jacket but now prefer a poncho because it's lighter, easy to put on and off, covers the pack as well so there's no need for a pack cover and I don't have to take my pack off to put my rain gear on.

As nearly everyone else has said, your pack is too big. You don't need more than about 40L and that's being very generous.

I'm with Falcon on the space blanket, the extra underwear and the Arcteryx pants. I'd also leave the silk liner at home.

However, you've obviously given it a lot of thought because you've come up with a really good list. It won't take too much effort to prune it a little in the next few months. Try to pack for certainties rather than "what ifs".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
mralisn said:
Chocolate. You need chocolate. A great way to make friends. Well, vino helps too!

Fully excited for you. You're Camino has begun Dave. Really good list you have going.

¡Ultreia!

Extreely important advise ! The vino you can skip, but choclate is definetely essential :p

wow David
3 months to go and you have a packing list-you sound very organized takes me back to my first time and every waking hour spent thinking about your way,friends would cross the street to avoid me and my mono conversations :D I envy you.
these days I only travel with minimal gear and nothing I can't leave by the wayside.
each to their own but I would just take the liner and ditch the long johns, someone once said on here that before leaving you should make two piles, one of gear the other of money and then double one and half the other :wink: so true.
have a great Camino I may be around at the same time be sure and wear your tilley hat and maple patch. :)
Oh stick a corkscrew in there,you will make so many friends.
Ian

I really am appreciating the experienced feedback, especially in regards to the backpack, as I currently have far too much room left. However, it was graciously loaned to me, but perhaps today would be a good day to review what some of the local stores have. (Although I'll have to convince my wife :) that Santa said it's okay)

Originally, I had three pieces of kit to manage the rain - Jacket, Pants and Pack Cover. Though looking through the reviews, and seeing a non-traditional poncho zippered front rain-jacket, long sleeve and pack covering poncho, I decided trading three weather items for one, was a good alternative.

In regards to the Arcteryx Pants; these are actually high tech lightweight trekking pants, which are very comfortable, breathable, flexible, abrasive and water/wind resistant. So I think, I'll keep these expensive pants :) and discard one of the Columbia Convertibles.

Last point, was the long johns; although extremely lightweight yet warm, I am unaccustomed to the weather in this region and was a bit worried about the time of year (early April) and winds, or possible snow in the mountains. My logic was better safe than sorry, with the option to place them in the first pair of hands who wanted them or a trash bin, if not of use. However, if everyone feels they're not required, then I can leave them in Canada, where they'll get some use this winter :)

Again, thank you all so much and I hope everyone is well. Cheers, Dave

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks good, your backpack is far too big unless you are a veritable hoarder of souvenirs, irreplaceable knickknacks, or collectible anythings, 45l is plenty for all on your list plus lunch. Two additions, don't weigh anything and will prevent grief, a spare set of laces for your boots mine are 180 and difficult to find on the Camino-the originals will stretch and loosen with wear and a spare set of tips for your trekking poles a bit of mud or a rocky stretch a ford and you may lose them.

falcon269 said:
I used this in October, and it was a bit large. I did not have a sleeping bag, though, and the extra space kept bread from getting squashed. At about 1 kg, it is lightweight but still has structure.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lowe-a ... essed=true

I waited for a sale, and got it for $97.

The GoLite Jam line is lighter, but is basically a nylon sack with shoulder straps. It gets uncomfortable for me at about 20 pounds.

http://www.golite.com/Jam-35L-Pack-Unisex-P46811.aspx

Oh dear you've given up on your Aarn, what's going on, you abandoned ship :?:
Are we allowed to see some of your pics Mr Falcon269. Please.

The backpack I purchased was the Gelert Horizon 35L and is super cheap. I originally hesitated on getting one as I thought they kept the weight down by removing the inner frame but when I received it yesterday, it had a frame so all is good. I'll be picking up a second one for my wife and we'll start training in them soon for our June, 2013 Camino. Here's a link to the manufacturer:

http://www.gelert.com/products/horizon_35l_rucksack

Edit: Forgot to mention it only weighs 800g!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FrancesK said:
The backpack is definately too big. This is the backpack I use: http://www.rei.com/product/828433/ospre ... el-38-pack its the perfect size and prevents you from packing too much. You could go up to the next level if you wanted a bit more room.
That's the one that I used and would recommend.

FrancesK said:
I'm not a fan of ponchos, I watched many times people struggling to get it on and over their pack as the rain poured and often needed someone to give them a hand.
My Altus poncho caught me out like that the first time but I learnt to put it on on one side and then pass it behind me and over the pack before putting the other side on. Same with taking it off, just needs a bit of practice :D

I wore regular jeans, 2 tees, and a corduroy shirt for the sun. I did fine. I did have to use special shoes for my bunions. Also hat and sunglasses. Carry lots of water. I used and reused regular plastic bottles, cheapest brand. I did use those hiker sock liners to avoid blisters. You might need a corkscrew. I took a round flat stopper for the sink (wash) and used it several times.

I wore Icebreaker leggings in April this year more than not!
Their weight is on you but they're v v light anyway!
I'm an over trouser man too, Regatta, very cheap & yes can get on over boot too :D

If you are able to get a lighter Sack great, overloaded small does work, you need a good hip belt a must!

Buen Camino
David

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
regular jeans, 2 tees, and a corduroy shirt
Of course, wear what is comfortable and affordable, but cotton is rarely the best choice in fabric. It retains water and can cause a lot of chafing.

Very correct Falcon-however-I for one cannot bear the touch of synthetic cloth-not socks underclothing shirts I too wear jeans and keep warm with merino my sleeping bag has a heavier cotton liner so as not to touch the synthetic material it is made from. I do take a fleece as an outer covereing and suffer where it touches the neck. Some of remain happily in the 19th century-also concerning clothing
S

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

Great list you have compiled with most of the essentials.
Some small things which came handy for me is:
Reflector bands
Small brush to clean mud of boots/pants
Small plastic container to hold cheese/ham
Light weight nylon bag for buying groceries
Plastic cup/spoon/fork
Sandals for indoor bath
Extra zip bags
Earplugs

I like the size of your bag.
You can carry more if needed.

Remember, the most important thing is to stay dry.

And as it was told to me;
You can be lost
You can be tired
You can be hungry
You can be thirsty
But you should never be more than two things at the time.

Buen Camino

scruffy1 said:
Very correct Falcon-however-I for one cannot bear the touch of synthetic cloth-not socks underclothing shirts I too wear jeans and keep warm with merino my sleeping bag has a heavier cotton liner so as not to touch the synthetic material it is made from. I do take a fleece as an outer covereing and suffer where it touches the neck. Some of remain happily in the 19th century-also concerning clothing
S

Poor you Scruff,
Can I suggest more merino layers, you'll be warmer than toast :mrgreen:
http://nz.icebreaker.com/Fleece/mens-fl ... NZ,sc.html
medium.jpg

& leggings too........your jeans are heavy too, & only get heavier & heavier & require more energy to walk with,......requiring more wine @ night to revitalize :mrgreen: (sorry could find a red one)
David

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.