• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My new poles arrived!

Mysticl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May (2015) - pending
So my new Pacer poles arrived yesterday and i tried them out last night and then again this morning for a 5 km walk and I must say ... OH MY! I love love love them! I have never used any other types of poles before so I didn't have to unlearn anything and I found using them to be very intuitive. I thought I'd have to think about proper placement with every step at least in the beginning but that wasn't the case. They just automatically went right and it wasn't long before they felt like an extension of my arm and I found myself using them as an extra limb without even thinking about it. Going up or down slopes was amazingly easier than without and I doubled my walking distance with no difficulty. I even think I walked a bit faster but I wasn't really aware of doing so, I just finished in a fraction of the time it usually takes. Call me a believer. I MAY let my husband try them on the weekend but then again I might not want to give them up for even one walk ;)

Thanks to everyone who sang their praise on this forum it was largely due to your reviews that I decided to take the plunge and I am glad I did!

The poles arrived exactly when the folks at Pacer poles said they would and I really like the personal touches they offer. They asked for a confirmation email on safe arrival and when I did they sent me a personal reply with all sorts of tips and positive feedback. They are obviously proud of their poles for good reason and it was a pleasure to deal with them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Super! Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and I've had the same experience as you. And like you, I'm so glad people here had recommended them and prompted me to look into getting them. I love the handles - previously on walks here I'd used a pole - a nice one - that's the standard vertical design, which is less comfortable for my hands.

Now I just hope my poles arrive in Madrid when I do. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I figure I will have separation anxiety until they are safely back in my hand while travelling. After trying them I am pretty sure i don't want to tackle the SJPP to Roncevalles without them! Interestingly, this morning I feel slightly muscle fatigued in places that I didn't feel muscle fatigued before after a nice long brisk walk so I am guessing the use of the poles helped me to use a few different muscle groups as well. I am taking them down to the city tomorrow (Victoria BC) and I plan to see how I fare climbing Mount Doug ... should be a very good test of my stamina on a steep incline/decline as well as a good test of the poles! It's a pretty good hill but the trip to Orrison alone would be 3 Mount Dougs stacked on top of one another! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Doug ... r_Victoria

Trekking poles are good for the triceps! I agree on a plain vertical pole. Except for some aid in balance or poking a dog, I never found it more useful than carrying a cigarette. :D

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my Pacers this trip.
My issue is we have several Ryanair and Vueling flights between May and October, and I don't know if they allow the poles on the flights or if I'll have to pay to carry them.

Does anyone have recent info on this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am so excited to hear you are loving your poles. Because I started having knee and ankle issues while training, ( starting June 14 in Leon) I ordered some Pacer Poles last week.

My budget is so tight so I was wondering if I had made a mistake. I was playing words with friends on facebook, and right in the middle of the board one word onto of the other was: PACER POLES. Guess I didn't make a mistake.

One another subject, there seems to be a lot of advise about starting out slowly. Does that mean walking slowly, not very far the first few days, or both? I am still overweight even though I have trained since January so I really want to be able to finish. We do have almost three weeks from Leon to Santiago.

CatherineAnn said:

One another subject, there seems to be a lot of advise about starting out slowly. Does that mean walking slowly, not very far the first few days, or both? I am still overweight even though I have trained since January so I really want to be able to finish. We do have almost three weeks from Leon to Santiago.

CatherineAnn,

It means both. The most common Camino injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! This is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that everyone will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything.

Start walking slowly and go very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Taking it easy in the beginning will help build your strength.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Anniesantiago said:
I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my Pacers this trip.
My issue is we have several Ryanair and Vueling flights between May and October, and I don't know if they allow the poles on the flights or if I'll have to pay to carry them.

Does anyone have recent info on this?

Yes I do!
Take them you'll love them even more the second time around :lol: :D

Oh yes, Ryanair wont let them on the plane I tried, but I'd already booked them in the hold, so OK.
I was limping that's why I tried :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
think we paid £15 or 20 or 25 or 30 :)

PAYMENT DETAILS

********43.98 EUR Total Fare
********57.62 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
*********4.32 EUR Passenger Fee: EU 261 Levy
********12.96 EUR Passenger Fee: Web Check in
********32.40 EUR Passenger Fee: Checked Bag(s)
********12.96 EUR Passenger Fee: Spanish Domestic Administration Fee Administration Fee Adminis
*******164.24 EUR Total Paid

hope this helps, you are probably more cause you are peak time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
PingHansen said:
Disassemble them and put them in your backpack. Technically, when disassembled, they are not walking poles, but parts for walking poles :twisted:

None the less, I wouldn't bet on winning the discussion :mrgreen:

EXACTLY, take on 'R' @ your peril! :arrow: Buen Camino

Saw a guy get a huge umbrella on the(our) plane, not sure he ever saw it again though - idiot :evil:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A person could do that.
I also can check them from the USA to Barcelona.
My problem is I'll be taking flights to Wales, to Scotland, to Amsterdam, and back to Spain and I don't want to pay 35 Euros just to carry my poles with me.

If we were to FEDEX our poles to SJPdP, what would the address be??

Thanks all!
Ellen

Anniesantiago said:
Holy crap! I could almost buy a new pair for that!

Well Done Annie, Taking your Pacerpoles, gosh 5 months on the end of your poles;
You will be standing/walking TALL :!:
Buen Camino
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is my first time hearing about Pacer Poles. I have heard of walking poles jut not that brand. Where do you order them from if you live in the U.S.?

WayWalker63 said:
This is my first time hearing about Pacer Poles. I have heard of walking poles jut not that brand. Where do you order them from if you live in the U.S.?

These poles are a bit different than what you might be used to. They were designed from the ground up but the real difference is in the handle grip. It is formed to fit a natural grip and the design helps you use the poles without any effort and still get the benefit . Correct use helps your posture and can significantly reduce the impact pressure on your lower joints. I did a really strenuous mountain climb and descent using them this weekend and I think I can truthfully say that I don't think I could have successfully completed it without them, but with them, while my feet were a little sore on the bottom, they recovered really quickly and even better, my knees and hips were in fabulous shape :) I was also better able to keep up with my adult (20 something) kids. I haven't categorically documented it but I think I walk much faster while using poles as well but I do so without realizing it.

My Pacer poles arrived in 2 weeks and shipping is free for world wide delivery. Even with the currency conversion my pacer poles were cheaper or at least competitive with what is available to me locally and I may be imagining it but I think they work better as well :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven't used any poles before or even walked that much, much less hiked, so it is all new to me!

I did briefly look at some poles in a sporting goods store the other day, don't know which brand, but hadn't done any research as yet to know whether what to look for or avoid.

I checked out the Pacer Pole website and I can see the difference especially in the handles. I will look into ordering some. I can use them while I train and in Ireland this fall. I should probably order an additional set of street feet since that is where most of my walking is going to take place.

Thanks Mystici and Falcon!

You and I are in the same boat Waywalker63. I am new to walking as well but the Camino has inspired me in a way that nothing else ever has to get me outside and moving. I was actually quite surprised at how much stamina I actually had and the distance I was able to easy cover once I actually did start walking. Every time I go out I see an improvement. It's very encouraging and rewarding. I had never used poles before either and I quite like them even though my kids keep telling me how uncool and nerdy it is ... I patiently tell them that I am quite comfortable with my nerd status and my knees and hips thank me. I'd recommend getting poles, I think it makes a difference and sadly my weight issue over the course of a lifetime probably had some long term effect on my joints although it isn't really apparent yet except for a few hip twinges when I push things too hard or too fast. I figure whatever I can do now such as using poles, to help alleviate that damage, is probably a good thing and hopefully will allow me not only to do this Camino, but hopefully many many more :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
Hi all, for anyone interested the macabi skirts are on sale...I have worn these on 3 camino, the Via Francigena, Camino Portugues from Lisbon, and on the Way of St. Francis (in cold and heat 41c)...
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Best app to keep family and friends updated on your Camino whereabouts?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.