• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

my sleeping bag liner

johnnyman

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2011 and 2013
Greetings, y'all!

I just got a treated sleeping bag liner from Rei, and not sure it's going to be what I need for the albergues. It appears to be kind of like a big sock that I slip into. It's kinda cool, in that it is very light and packs very small. However, it's nothing like a sleeping bag. For one thing, I like to stick my feet out from under the covers while I sleep. I have a twin-size sheet that I treated with permethrin (sp?), and I plan to first lay that across my bed, then put the liner on top of that. What do youse guys think?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think a twin sheet is too heavy. Get a piece of Tyvek instead -- your local building supply place should have it in stock.

The sheet is really heavy. I'll check out what you mention, and thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You will get used to the liner. I take a permethrin-treated Tyvek sheet for a blanket. You could lie on the liner and leave your feet out, if you like. Keep in mind that bedbugs eat the flesh that is exposed, so putting arms and legs outside of the treated bag/sack will leave them as a meal! You may need to do things differently on the Camino, like wearing earplugs, which I never do at home...

Yeah, I think I'll keep the feet inside, and hope that I'm sufficiently tired from walking and relaxed from vino that sleeping won't be a problem (I'll also have a healthy supply of earplugs, which I do use at home!)

Well, I got a Tyvek sheet, and have a question: the thing seems great but very plastic-y, and I wonder how much noise it's going to produce as I lay and shift around on top of it, and especially take it off the bed and pack it up in the morning. Don't want to cause a riot ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey, thanks! I thought about washing it, but wasn't sure it was washing machine-able ...

Only the soft Tyvek is advertised as washable, but I know a lot of people who have washed the hard stuff. It is probably not under warranty! On the other hand, you can replace it pretty cheaply.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@ johnnyman
sleeping bag + liner = great combo
i walked the vdlp going into fall/autumn, so needed to cater for temps from 30deg C to zero
my combo was a thinish 2 season bag where i could kick out my feet
plus a liner that could lift the bag temp by 15deg C
both were v high tech
Roman Palm sleeping bag +- 500g
and the Sea to Summit Reactor inner liner at +- 350g
worked for me
i tested the combo at home, so i knew it was good
being cold was just not an option for me.
btw, to add to my sleep comfort, i carried a mini (half-size down pillow) from Granny Goose
it weighed next to nuffin
and i had 40lt bag to give me the space
and like footware, backpacks etc, we're all experts
its important you become an expert too
so you can have super confidence in your kit
before you take your first camino step
imho

Right now, I'm just planning on the treated Tyvek sheet for bug protection, then using the liner on top of that, with no actual sleeping bag. Think that's a mistake?

cannot ever be a mistake
just gather information, weigh up the pros and cons
and then make a call
if circumstances change, then make another plan
i cant remember the stats on pilgrims found frozen in albergues
probably not very high

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I'm gonna go ahead with my plan. I like to be nice and cool when I sleep, so in June and early July I really don't think I'll have a problem with getting too cold -- hopefully!

Update: washed the Tyvek sheet about four times and it's nice and soft! Weighs a fraction of the bed sheet I was planning to take ...

I bought some Tyvac which I plan to treat with Permetherin but I need to cut it down to size. Anyone have a suggestion as to the ideal size for a bed cover on the Camino? I don't plan to use it as a blanket, just want it to be big enough to cover the mattress, maybe tuck in, but not be so big it interferes with someone on the bunk below.

Karl

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a silk liner. It's like the one you describe - a ''sock''. It's light, though, so I sleep in it when camping. It's not too warm even during the hottest night.

I'm walking in March, so I'm hoping that I won't have to worry about bed bugs. I don't plan on treating my gear with anything. I hope that's the right decision! I guess I'll find out...

In addition to the liner, I'm bringing a down throw (smaller than a twin blanket, but big enough to cover me completely). At 715 grams, it's lighter than my sleeping bag and I think that it will be pretty versatile. If it's extremely cold, I plan on putting the blanket inside my liner to make a sort of sleeping bag. Its main selling point: I already own it. I wish I could buy a fancy high-tech down sleeping bag, but the ultralight ones are well out of my price range!

I am interested in the idea of a Tyvek sheet--if I knew what Tyvek was...does anyone know what that would be called in German, and what type of European shop would be likely to have it?

Packinglight said:
I am interested in the idea of a Tyvek sheet--if I knew what Tyvek was...does anyone know what that would be called in German, and what type of European shop would be likely to have it?
Tyvek is a house wrap, used as a vapor barrier on new house construction. You can usually buy it in a home improvement store. Tyvek is the brand name, so I would think it would be the same worldwide. It comes in rolls that can vary in size. It can also be sewn or taped (a special tape is sold for Tyvek).

Even washing it though, it seems to keep some of its "loudness".

PS: Many of the alburges have blankets, so you are not likely to get cold, especially in July.

Rambler

Thanks, Rambler!
That clears it up--I know exactly what it is now, just never heard its brand name before.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.