• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag v liner

hellie36

Time of past OR future Camino
14/09/2023
Hi, I start my Camino Frances on 14th September 2023 , so excited, and am unsure whether to bring a sleeping bag and liner or just a liner. I've seen a thread on here but they're for the summer months. I'm carrying minimum clothes but my pack is still over 8kg. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks Helen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Hellie, welcome to the forum. Last year I took just a sleeping bag, down filled, in September on the Le Puy Camino. It was too hot for my sleeping bag most times, but I used it anyway. This year, I'm doing the Frances, same start date as you, and I've decided to take my sleeping bag AND a cotton liner. I'll use the cotton liner if it's hot, and my sleeping bag if it's cool and both if it gets cold. I found the liners were quite expensive, for what they are, so I made my own. I just bought some fine cotton fabric and stitched it down the sides. It cost me $26 AUS. It is extra weight to take both, but I figure I can always ditch the liner if I don't need it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you plan on staying in the hostels why carry a sleeping bag? A liner would be enough, as you said it is an additional bulk in your bag. Hope to see you on the road. Buen Camino.
Indeed, if you are planning to stay in Hostals (small Hotels), Hotels and Casas Rural there is no need for a sleeping bag. If you are planning on staying in Albergue (Pilgrim Hostels) I would suggest that a sleeping bag is essential in late September and into October and particularly in the austerities of the Xunta Albergues in Galicia and at some of the higher elevations along the Way.

Edited before someone wastes a post poking the Tinker. Xunta / Junta, stick it up your jumper (sweater, pullover, jersey…) 😉

Last edited:
We walked from August 30-October 2, and never needed a sleeping bag! I brought a Sea-to-Summit liner and it was enough with the sheets and blankets provided by hostels and albergues. I did treat the liner, my boots, my clothing and backpack with Permethrin for bed bug and had no issues in the entire walk. Hope this helps! BUEN CAMINO

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @hellie36
I have always taken a silk liner - still working well after 3 Caminos - but finally paid up for a lightweight Sea to Summit sleeping bag for my last Camino. As the body ages the comfort of carrying my own dependable warmth is desirable - except maybe in high summer.
Having said that, if you want to review your pack weight, Robo’s “What’s in my Pack” video is excellent. Kept me honest and under 7 kg.
Buen Camino

I too prefer the Sea-to-Summit (StS) liners. This summer I replaced an older model StS silk-poly blend liner that was lost in a bag transfer on the TMB. That one served me well on the CdF and numerous other treks. Last month I bought the Silk-Cotton Blend Travel Liner to use in a remote camp in northern Alaska (no kidding). Wild temp swings with several hot nights and I did not have a problem with it holding moisture or developing a smell. The Silk-Cotton Blend model is, oddly, 1.3 oz lighter than their all-silk liner and about half the price. Comfort was good -- not rough like some liners I've used in the past and I will bring it on my next camino. But I have to admit, I would like to try out the all-silk model.

I occasionally use an StS Reactor liner for backcountry backpacking, but would not bring one on a camino. I prefer the more rectangular shape of the StS travel liners for a camino or similar trek because I much prefer the room.

I have used a light (40-degree) down mummy bag on the camino. It was very nice to have when chilly, but honestly I could have gotten by without it at most every albergue (I have stayed in a couple that had nothing more than a sheet). And I did not love the mummy shape constraining my (sore) legs, so I often unzipped it as much as I could and used it like an extra blanket.

An all-cotton travel liner will be heavier (about one pound), but can be a nice option if cost is a concern (about $30 US compared to $100-180 for an StS liners). I do use an all-cotton liner for camping and travel to remote locations. I need to air it out regularly in the a.m. or it will develop a moldy aroma after a couple of days. Even with regular airings, I need to clean it after 6-7 nights (not a bad thing if you can access a washer/dryer). Still, since you are struggling with pack weight, keep in mind that a cotton travel liner will be 3 to 4x as heavy as an StS liner. 10 days to go -- Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A silk sleep sack plus down blanket has been the perfect combination for me on most of my Caminos (I left the blanket at home when I walked from Porto to Santiago). There are nights when it's too hot for a sleeping bag, but I still want to be covered in the albergues. On chillier nights I tuck the down blanket inside the sleep sack.

A silk sleep sack plus down blanket has been the perfect combination for me on most of my Caminos (I left the blanket at home when I walked from Porto to Santiago). There are nights when it's too hot for a sleeping bag, but I still want to be covered in the albergues. On chillier nights I tuck the down blanket inside the sleep sack.
I walked the primitivo early September of 2017. I took a silk liner and found myself cold about 8 nights. I would wake up and fumble around putting on clothes. My fellow travelers seemed snug in their bags. Only one alberque had blankets for rent. In 2019,I walked the aragones and Salvador and happily took a bag. If it is hot,I spread it loosely over me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.