• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NA/AA member walking in september

vanessa21

im a member of Na/AA who is walking the camino de santiago on about sept 15th with my partner who is a member as well. I know i would dearly love to meet up with other members, or hear about members experiences walking. Also, are there meetings along the way at any towns etc? Any info and support would be much appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is Na/AA? We (Anne & Adriaan) will be starting our 2nd Camino leaving from Roncevalles on 16th September, hoping to arrive in Santiaga about 20th/21st October. Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I guess, Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, known for their 12-step programs and buddy system for recovering

I can't imagine that there will be meetings in anywhere except the biggest towns such as Burgos or Leon along the way; here the Spanish AA website http://www.alcoholicos-anonimos.org/

But the good news, I hope, is that there will be fewer temptations along the way as well

Hi as a long standing aa member I wish you the best of luck on the Camino, its a great experience,with the potential for real spiritual growth and is a great way to give thanks for the gift of sobriety, it is obvious throughout the rigours of the camino, that this would not be an activity that you would have been able to enjoy if still active in addiction. I completed it in late July having started in about mid-june. I brought the pocket version of the Big Book and started each day by handing the day over to the Higher power...and reading relevant prayers from the book. The fact that the Big Book was ever present in the thigh pocket of my shorts was strangely reassuring throughout the 5 weeks on the road
As for temptations, I must disagree with one poster, the pilgrim menus nearly all provide for a bottle of wine to come out with the meal, so be specific and ask for "agua" (water) before the order is completed.
Also it must be said that by no means are all pilgrims sober, indeed I encountered quite a number of people who I think were coping with problems, that on the evidence of post-walk rest and recreation antics may well have been on the camino to deal with issues which perhaps had their roots in an unhealthy relationship to alcohol. So choose your walking partners carefully, and don't feel any reluctance to detach from walking companions whose own behaviour may be leading you back into 'old behaviour' patterns. The bonds created on the walk are strong and especially if you are walking alone, it is easy to overlook your own best interests sometimes in order not to offend the feelings of a walking companion, who may be great during the day, but may wish to indulge regularly each afternoon/evening in a beer session...When you stumble into a place after a 30 km walk in 35 degrees c., the sight of someone slugging into an ice cold lager can only in my opinion be putting yourself under unnecessary pressure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.