• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nasbinals - Hotel La Route d’Argent bait and switch

PeteAJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Portugués (2019),
Le Puy (2023)
I had a fabulous time on the Le Puy route this May and June in spite of a few hiccups. I don't want to get negative here but maybe someone can help me think about a situation in Nasbinals that didn't seem right. As pilgrims, we're used to being flexible and adaptable to new people, towns, situations. This is both not a huge deal and also did not seem fair.

I confirmed my reservation with Hotel La Route d’Argent in Nasbinals back in February for May 26 of this year. I did notice they have a few other hotels on their website, but it says in the emails I confirmed the one I wanted which is in the center of the village. That's the Hotel La Route d’Argent. When I arrived in Nasbinals they told me that dinner was here at 7 but I'm actually staying at Hôtel la Randonnée which is 600m from the Hotel La Route d’Argent and off the camino. And I am not the only person they did this to, some of the oldest amongst us were sent out to the Hôtel la Randonnée as well. I guess the figure you're coming back into the village to eat if you need the supermarket or something. The woman at the new hotel was apologetic but I also overheard someone say in french that they do this to all foreigners. So they do this because they won't see us again? This is not a 5 euro donativo PS, it's a 60 euro hotel. If they'd given me any kind of advance warning or excuse I would have felt better. I guess they figure they can get away with it. Some pilgrims love to stay off route. On the first week of a camino, I very much like being in town with the majority of pilgrims and having the option of visiting the church or any cultural sites and perhaps accessing a supermarket or pharmacy as well. So it'd be over 1km round trip if you wanted to go back into Nasbinals before dinner. Not the end of the world, but not what I booked.

All's well that ends well. The new hotel had a good shower and one of the best croissants i had the entire way at breakfast the next morning. As pilgrims, we are flexible. I guess I wanted to know if this sounded familiar or unusual. Do I say, when you book, ask them where you're really putting me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to hear about this, I can understand your frustration. I'm also glad to hear things worked out at the other hotel (I find things often work out fine in the long run on the Camino).

For others that are considering staying at Hotel La Route d’Argent, I stayed there in August 2022, and had no problems. My room was right above the restaurant looking out over the small square. I booked the room about 30 days in advance.

If it matters, even though I don't speak French, I booked the room using their email (contact@bastide-nasbinals.com). It was 50€ for the room and 80€ with dinner and breakfast included. The meals were excellent.

I'd recommend the place to others, but based on PeteAJ's experience confirming location would be wise.

I had a fabulous time on the Le Puy route this May and June in spite of a few hiccups. I don't want to get negative here but maybe someone can help me think about a situation in Nasbinals that didn't seem right. As pilgrims, we're used to being flexible and adaptable to new people, towns, situations. This is both not a huge deal and also did not seem fair.

I confirmed my reservation with Hotel La Route d’Argent in Nasbinals back in February for May 26 of this year. I did notice they have a few other hotels on their website, but it says in the emails I confirmed the one I wanted which is in the center of the village. That's the Hotel La Route d’Argent. When I arrived in Nasbinals they told me that dinner was here at 7 but I'm actually staying at Hôtel la Randonnée which is 600m from the Hotel La Route d’Argent and off the camino. And I am not the only person they did this to, some of the oldest amongst us were sent out to the Hôtel la Randonnée as well. I guess the figure you're coming back into the village to eat if you need the supermarket or something. The woman at the new hotel was apologetic but I also overheard someone say in french that they do this to all foreigners. So they do this because they won't see us again? This is not a 5 euro donativo PS, it's a 60 euro hotel. If they'd given me any kind of advance warning or excuse I would have felt better. I guess they figure they can get away with it. Some pilgrims love to stay off route. On the first week of a camino, I very much like being in town with the majority of pilgrims and having the option of visiting the church or any cultural sites and perhaps accessing a supermarket or pharmacy as well. So it'd be over 1km round trip if you wanted to go back into Nasbinals before dinner. Not the end of the world, but not what I booked.

All's well that ends well. The new hotel had a good shower and one of the best croissants i had the entire way at breakfast the next morning. As pilgrims, we are flexible. I guess I wanted to know if this sounded familiar or unusual. Do I say, when you book, ask them where you're really putting me.
Thank you @PeteAJ for reporting this and sharing your experience ... very disappointing but no surprise ... I’ve long had a problem with Nasbinals and the accommodation options there ... it seems that one family own two or three hotels plus a gîte and it’s okay to shunt hikers off to another place out of town ... certainly not convenient for everyone and if I had reserved «Route d’Argent» I would expect to stay there😕

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had something similar happen there. I walked in May and made my reservations via email (and in French). When I arrived at Hôtel le Bastide the woman told me she did not have my reservation, period. Then I told her I had reservations (and a confirmation email) for May 12 and she tried to tell me that I got things wrong as they list reservations differently in France so that really my reservation was for December 5th. She hadn't realized I am fluent in French and I pointed out that the reservation confirmation clearly stated (in words not by number) that they looked forward to seeing me May 12. She backpedaled and "found" me something at their sister hotel. Not sure what the endgame is or if they are just odd.

I could see my name in her computer so no idea what she was trying. I ended up at Hotel La Route d'Argent in a room with walls as the view through the windows (windows overlooking a wall). I was so exhausted and windows seemed like a dumb complaint at that point, especially since there was a bath tub in the bathroom. I literally was too frustrated to go eat but had a delicious breakfast in the morning.

It was such a weird experience and I am sorry that something close to that happened to you.

Hi,
Sorry about this bad experience. As a french man, it always makes me sad and a bit angry when some compatriots misbehave with visitors. This is purely subjective but I've been through Nasbinals 3 times and always had a bad experience with either accomodation or food/drinks. I still don't know if there is something wrong with me or with this place but Nasbinals has never worked for me and I've never felt at ease there, contrary to so many nice places along the via Podiensis !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
Sorry about this bad experience. As a french man, it always makes me sad and a bit angry when some compatriots misbehave with visitors. This is purely subjective but I've been through Nasbinals 3 times and always had a bad experience with either accomodation or food/drinks. I still don't know if there is something wrong with me or with this place but Nasbinals has never worked for me and I've never felt at ease there, contrary to so many nice places along the via Podiensis !
same for me, other than at the excellent boulangerie‼️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back